Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ticket Renewal

Ticket Renewal

Any guesses on the number of season tickets renewed?

Quote Originally Posted by Rahvatech View Post
    I can guarantee that it's at least 4

well, technically 2...I added 2

Quote Originally Posted by Rahvatech View Post
    Not sure about raw numbers, but I'd set it at about 75% of last year's season ticket sales, just based on people I know and what they have done - and that has been some people with good seats. I know some that have gone from 4 to 2, some from 2 to 0.

Basketball season tickets are a huge commitment, given the number of games. Like I posted on the football board in a similar topic - distance, cost, ease of getting tickets, and in basketball - the unknown schedule before you buy, really wear on people.

In hoops, there will be 4, maybe 5 "potential" games that might be a tough ticket - UNC, Duke, Syracuse, ND, UVA - and only if they are a Saturday game. And, we have to be playing well, as well.

Season tickets for basketball would be golden if those 5 all were in Cassell, on a Saturday, in the same season, but that is not going to happen. You stand better chances in a PowerBall lottery. Even when those are home games, if they are on a weeknight, tickets are plentiful, and particularly if it gets a 9:00 tip, you simply have to bend down and pick up a ticket off of the sidewalk.

I'll never understand the "value" in buying a season ticket that isn't discounted unless we are a Elite 8/Final 4 team every year. Shouldn't the purpose of buying a season ticket be that it's a better deal than buying a ticket for each game? If were winning this would obviously be different because the street value of a single game ticket would be higher than a single game ticket as a part of a season ticket package.

But when the place isn't selling out there is no benefit whatsoever to purchase a season ticket other than to support the program.

Quote Originally Posted by 97hokies View Post
    I'll never understand the "value" in buying a season ticket that isn't discounted unless we are a Elite 8/Final 4 team every year. Shouldn't the purpose of buying a season ticket be that it's a better deal than buying a ticket for each game? If were winning this would obviously be different because the street value of a single game ticket would be higher than a single game ticket as a part of a season ticket package.

But when the place isn't selling out there is no benefit whatsoever to purchase a season ticket other than to support the program.
    Yeah, I've been doing it solely as a "support the program" thing going back to the A-10 days, but I just can't justify it this year. Still very much pulling for them, but it's just lighting money on fire at this point. And even given that, I probably still would've kept mine were it not for the re-seating.

And if the tickets don't get used, are you really supporting the program? Shouldn't we just buy tickets to games we actually plan to attend and just make a cash donation with the difference? Then the ticket office can discount the unsold tickets to encourage actual fannies in the seats.

Quote Originally Posted by Femoyer Hokie View Post
    And if the tickets don't get used, are you really supporting the program? Shouldn't we just buy tickets to games we actually plan to attend and just make a cash donation with the difference? Then the ticket office can discount the unsold tickets to encourage actual fannies in the seats.
    I think as long as you make a good faith effort to get your tickets in the hands of someone who will use them then it's fine.

That said, it's basically been a moot point for the entire time I've had season tickets. With the exception of maybe a handful of games, anybody who wanted to buy a ticket to a Virginia Tech basketball game could either buy one at the window or buy one for less than face value right out front. That is, out-of-town season ticket "hoarders" haven't stopped anybody from attending a VT basketball game.

Certainly this year anybody who buys seasons tickets but isn't going to make it to the games shouldn't worry that they're denying someone else a chance to get into Cassell.

Quote Originally Posted by Gobbler-100 View Post
    I think as long as you make a good faith effort to get your tickets in the hands of someone who will use them then it's fine.

That said, it's basically been a moot point for the entire time I've had season tickets. With the exception of maybe a handful of games, anybody who wanted to buy a ticket to a Virginia Tech basketball game could either buy one at the window or buy one for less than face value right out front. That is, out-of-town season ticket "hoarders" haven't stopped anybody from attending a VT basketball game.

Certainly this year anybody who buys seasons tickets but isn't going to make it to the games shouldn't worry that they're denying someone else a chance to get into Cassell.
    Something clearly isn't working in this equation. Pricing and the process need to change. And buying season tickets to "support the program" doesn't help the program. We need to figure out a process and price point that will put local fans in the seats. If that hurts revenues then we can donate the cash to support the program. But if we are not local and we are buying season tickets, then we are effectively contributing to empty seats.

If there are games where tickets need to be $5 or $10 a seat, then so be it. I know there are no easy answers but having out of town people buying season tickets to basketball isn't working. Those unused tickets are not ending up in the hands of someone who will use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Femoyer Hokie View Post
    Something clearly isn't working in this equation. Pricing and the process need to change. And buying season tickets to "support the program" doesn't help the program. We need to figure out a process and price point that will put local fans in the seats. If that hurts revenues then we can donate the cash to support the program. But if we are not local and we are buying season tickets, then we are effectively contributing to empty seats.

If there are games where tickets need to be $5 or $10 a seat, then so be it. I know there are no easy answers but having out of town people buying season tickets to basketball isn't working. Those unused tickets are not ending up in the hands of someone who will use them.
    You're missing the point. The reason they aren't ending up in the hands of someone who will use them is because those people don't exist. You ABSOLUTELY can show up and buy a ticket for $5 or $10 from somebody out in front of the arena. If you're a student or university employee I think you can queue up and get in for free w/o a ticket most nights (you just have to move if somebody shows up and claims the seat you've taken). I have stood outside of Cassell with extra tickets many times and been unable to give them away.

When you see empty seats in there, it's almost never due to an inefficiency in ticket distribution. It's due to a total absence of demand for the tickets. I'm sure it's possible they could sell more one-off tickets to locals if they had deeply discounted prices, but honestly I can't imagine that there's an untapped fanbase in the area that is: a) dying to go see VT basketball, yet b) totally unaware that they can already get in dirt cheap.

If we don't start winning and making NCAA tournaments, we will never sell tickets. That's all there is to it.

if you're high enough in points to have really good seats, there's value in knowing you've got them locked up for the year.