Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokie Fiji View Post
    Not trying to stir the pot, insult, or be rude in any way here. But do you have a firm source for this information that you're willing to share?

I've been under the impression that the conversations with the SEC that you alluded to occurred in 2011 -- and that there were no guarantees, but there was a strong suggestion that the 14th slot in that league could have been ours.

But I've never heard of any such contact in 2003. From everything I recollect, we were nowhere near the SEC's radar at all and if the ACC deal hadn't come through we really didn't have any other options to speak of. Other facts from that time (our participation in the Big East lawsuit, for example) would seem to contradict the notion that we had any other kind of lifeline at all.
    I have never found any credible sources (ESPN, Yahoo Sports, CBS Sports, Roanoke Times, Washington Post,....) about Tech and the SEC in 2011. Everything I read came by bloggers who were merely speculating and trying to increase traffic on their sites.. It seems that if the SEC and Tech were in conversation in 2011 that something would have leaked into the credible press by now. I say nothing ever happen because it was heavily denied by Tech officials. Usually, schools remain silent until the 11th hour when something is true. Plus the SEC hasn't sought one member during the past decade of expansion. Texas A&M and Missouri approached the SEC in desperation. So did WVU. All the other schools mentioned in conversation with the SEC came from the blogosphere, not from credible sources.

But did WE approach the SEC in 2003? If not, it is dereliction of duty
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    I have never found any credible sources (ESPN, Yahoo Sports, CBS Sports, Roanoke Times, Washington Post,....) about Tech and the SEC in 2011. Everything I read came by bloggers who were merely speculating and trying to increase traffic on their sites.. It seems that if the SEC and Tech were in conversation in 2011 that something would have leaked into the credible press by now. I say nothing ever happen because it was heavily denied by Tech officials. Usually, schools remain silent until the 11th hour when something is true. Plus the SEC hasn't sought one member during the past decade of expansion. Texas A&M and Missouri approached the SEC in desperation. So did WVU. All the other schools mentioned in conversation with the SEC came from the blogosphere, not from credible sources.

So...we hobnobbed and litigated our way into the ACC rather than exercising an SEC invite we had in our back pocket? I'm not sure I buy that. But if true, it's an outrage.
    Quote Originally Posted by 133193Hokie View Post
    The coaches knew and where telling players if VT did not get included in the ACC than we were headed to the SEC. The SEC has had the VA and NC markets in their cross hairs for a long time - with VT and UNC at the top of their list.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    So...we hobnobbed and litigated our way into the ACC rather than exercising an SEC invite we had in our back pocket? I'm not sure I buy that. But if true, it's an outrage.
    Don't buy it! We were grasping for a lifejacket when the Big Least was imploding that time, and there was no way we would have gone through those gyrations if we had an SEC invite in our back pocket. No freaking way!
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

VT does not want to join the SEC - not than and not now. It is a "last resort" option for VT.

VT has had talks with the SEC over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by 133193Hokie View Post
    VT does not want to join the SEC - not than and not now. It is a "last resort" option for VT.
    Nope, remaining in the Big Least/AAC was the "last resort" option.
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    But did WE approach the SEC in 2003? If not, it is dereliction of duty
    As far as I know, Tech didn't approach the SEC in 2003. Tech was busy suing the conference that would accept them a month or so later. Was the SEC even considering expansion in 2003?

Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post
    Don't buy it! We were grasping for a lifejacket when the Big Least was imploding that time, and there was no way we would have gone through those gyrations if we had an SEC invite in our back pocket. No freaking way!
    Nor should you. There was a snowball's chance that VT was going to the SEC IN 2003/2004. That's why the governor and attorney general were pulling every string they could find to make sure VT was not left in the sinking BEast.

We would be playing VMI ,JMU,in same league as ECu ODU, SMiss Memphis St, Marshall Central Fla Temple Uconn