Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

If true, it irritates me. I haven't heard about the part that the SEC made it known a VT application would be looked at favorably. Three things that annoy me about this:

1) The ACC was on the verge of ruining our existing, so why would we want to go there if there if a better conference is willing to welcome us?

2) We are a football school. It was obvious even then that the SEC was the premier football conference, and that that gap would increase.

3) I despise having had to go the political route to get in the ACC. I didn't like having to depend on UVa to get us in. I am not mad at UVa for basically being willing to destroy our existing conference, but I don't feel a sense of obligation to them either--same goes for the ACC at large.

Quote Originally Posted by 133193Hokie View Post
    That's not how it works. When it looked like VT was going to be left out of the first round of ACC expansion, the SEC let it be known to VT that an application from VT would be viewed favorably. Conferences do not invite schools to join as that would set themselves up for law suits. Schools have to apply first. But there is always "informal" conversations before a school applies and a school knows before they even apply if they will be accepted or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    I remember hoping at the time that the SEC would invite us and WVU. They had their chance. And I still wish it would have happened that way, I think college football would have been better off if WVU and VT were in the SEC and Syracuse (w/Pitt and maybe UConn and Rutgers) would be in the ACC.

But at the time, we had to do what it took to not get left behind. So here we are.

Bloom where you are planted
    Do you bloom more if you're planted in manure?

Bottom line, we gotta get the job done--did it in the BE; gotta do it in the ACC. It would be awesome to be in the SEC though.

Quote Originally Posted by laphroaig View Post
    Do you bloom more if you're planted in manure?

On the flip side, think of how bad the ACC would have been. From the middle to late 2000's, Syracuse was consistently near the bottom of the Big East. During the heart of the decade, you would have had an ACC being dominated by the likes of Boston College and Wake Forest (without VT in the way, BC very well could have won the ACC in 2005, 2007, and 2008). The ACC's football reputation would have been utterly destroyed, while the BE during the same time period could have had 3 national title contenders (VT, WVU, and Louisville). I think things would have ended with VT going to the SEC, and FSU, Clemson, and maybe other ACC teams going to the Big-12.

Not trying to stir the pot, insult, or be rude in any way here. But do you have a firm source for this information that you're willing to share?

I've been under the impression that the conversations with the SEC that you alluded to occurred in 2011 -- and that there were no guarantees, but there was a strong suggestion that the 14th slot in that league could have been ours.

But I've never heard of any such contact in 2003. From everything I recollect, we were nowhere near the SEC's radar at all and if the ACC deal hadn't come through we really didn't have any other options to speak of. Other facts from that time (our participation in the Big East lawsuit, for example) would seem to contradict the notion that we had any other kind of lifeline at all.

That's basically what I've heard too. There was NO SEC invitation in 2003, so we fought "tooth & nail" to claw our way into our best option at the time, the ACC.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie Fiji View Post
    Not trying to stir the pot, insult, or be rude in any way here. But do you have a firm source for this information that you're willing to share?

I've been under the impression that the conversations with the SEC that you alluded to occurred in 2011 -- and that there were no guarantees, but there was a strong suggestion that the 14th slot in that league could have been ours.

But I've never heard of any such contact in 2003. From everything I recollect, we were nowhere near the SEC's radar at all and if the ACC deal hadn't come through we really didn't have any other options to speak of. Other facts from that time (our participation in the Big East lawsuit, for example) would seem to contradict the notion that we had any other kind of lifeline at all.
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

I was all over the SEC angle to this story back in 2003 and I remember nothing in the news that hinted of an invitation. If there was, I'd like to know about it...and it would be news to many on this board I imagine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokie Fiji View Post

With Syracuse, BC, and not VT; the ACC would have become a basketball conference with middling football.

I agree VT plus Texas A&M would have gone to the SEC, and FSU & Clemson to the Big 12.

I think the expansion mindset was different in 2003 than now...

Quote Originally Posted by 133193Hokie View Post
    That's not how it works. When it looked like VT was going to be left out of the first round of ACC expansion, the SEC let it be known to VT that an application from VT would be viewed favorably. Conferences do not invite schools to join as that would set themselves up for law suits. Schools have to apply first. But there is always "informal" conversations before a school applies and a school knows before they even apply if they will be accepted or not.
    Most everybody thought 12 was the optimum number solely based on the ability to stage a championship game. I remember many on this board who essentially flew into a rage when I suggested that 14 was a viable conference number. I don't remember any talk of VT being looked at by the SEC - not that the SEC wouldn't be ahead of the curve in expansion thinking.

The coaches knew and where telling players if VT did not get included in the ACC than we were headed to the SEC. The SEC has had the VA and NC markets in their cross hairs for a long time - with VT and UNC at the top of their list.