Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

What if Syracuse joined the ACC ten years ago instead of VT?

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Tango View Post
    Those that stuck around after being left out of the ACC expansion 10 years prior. It would have been a long 8 years between 2003 and 2011 when the SEC expanded.
    No trees were harmed in the making of this post. However, billions of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddyburg Hokie View Post
    Those that stuck around after being left out of the ACC expansion 10 years prior. It would have been a long 8 years between 2003 and 2011 when the SEC expanded.
    Then another year until the Big-12 expanded.
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

There's no guarantee that the SEC would have gone after Tech when it expanded. A lot of things could have gone wrong for Tech athletics during those 7 years in the Big East. If the football program performed as it did in its first 7 years in the ACC, I would say Tech had a 50:50 chance of landing in the SEC. Being in the Big East would have meant less TV money than we received from the ACC, so I don't know how much of an effect that would have had on the football program during those 7 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddyburg Hokie View Post
    and if VT suffered in recruiting and couldn't expand facilities due to lack of money from donors and BigEast TV money, would the SEC have even wanted us 8 years later? if we had missed the boat in 2003, i feel strongly that we would either be getting into the ACC now or remain in the AAC. maybe the Big12 picks us up as a travel partner/rival for WVU, but i'm not convinced the SEC would have been an automatic landing spot...

i'm just happy we have a good home for all of our sports and it's very regional compared to some of the other leagues (and we're in the center of said region). i try not to always be looking over the fence for something better...
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

I remember hoping at the time that the SEC would invite us and WVU. They had their chance. And I still wish it would have happened that way, I think college football would have been better off if WVU and VT were in the SEC and Syracuse (w/Pitt and maybe UConn and Rutgers) would be in the ACC.

But at the time, we had to do what it took to not get left behind. So here we are.

Bloom where you are planted

The SEC wanted VT at the time and still wants VT today. VT athletics would be in a much better place today

Curious. Are you saying an SEC invitations was on the way in 2003?
    Quote Originally Posted by 133193Hokie View Post
    The SEC wanted VT at the time and still wants VT today. VT athletics would be in a much better place today

Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    and if VT suffered in recruiting and couldn't expand facilities due to lack of money from donors and BigEast TV money, would the SEC have even wanted us 8 years later? if we had missed the boat in 2003, i feel strongly that we would either be getting into the ACC now or remain in the AAC. maybe the Big12 picks us up as a travel partner/rival for WVU, but i'm not convinced the SEC would have been an automatic landing spot...

i'm just happy we have a good home for all of our sports and it's very regional compared to some of the other leagues (and we're in the center of said region). i try not to always be looking over the fence for something better...
    One reason I could see the SEC still wanting VT is because the conference would have the potential to lock up 2 states (VA & NC) by adding 1 school. I include NC because SEC would have effectively surrounded the state without actually needing to have a member in that state. Plus, given the large percentage of alumni located in the DMV, then the SEC could easily expand into MD which would give the conference 3 states and an opportunity to "flirt" with the Big Ten's territory.

That's not how it works. When it looked like VT was going to be left out of the first round of ACC expansion, the SEC let it be known to VT that an application from VT would be viewed favorably. Conferences do not invite schools to join as that would set themselves up for law suits. Schools have to apply first. But there is always "informal" conversations before a school applies and a school knows before they even apply if they will be accepted or not.