Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 51
  1. #11

    Join Date
    October 07, 1999
    Posts
    4,779
    Quote Originally Posted by 133193Hokie View Post
    Has the ACC not seen that the big east TV market for college sports does not exist - just take a look at the BigEast.
    Maybe they're trying to build a market.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    February 16, 2001
    Posts
    14,845
    The ACC's goal has been to build what the PAC did on the West Coast. The B1G tried to break that up, but it didn't work. Now the ACC has the most and the richest people in the country...if they start winning the dollars will be mind blowing.

    Quote Originally Posted by IAHokie View Post
    Maybe they're trying to build a market.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    June 05, 2003
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Annoucement will occur in New York. Every member has been requested to send a rep also. Annoucement at 4 pm. Also acc and members will cling the bell at the ny stock exchange . Don't know what this about. Just interesting
    The ACC has 4 intitiatives it has been working on in 2013 (Grant of Rights, TV Channel, Location of Men's Basketball Tournament, and bowl partnerships). Obviously, July 1 is the date when Pitt, Syracuse, and Notre Dame join the ACC. I imagine one of these others will see some sort of announcement. The Grant of Rights is already announced, so it isn't that one. The ACC is looking at New York for a bowl as well as a Basketball tournament venue. And finally the TV Network may have some news.

    The NY Stock Exchange thing is interesting. Have no idea what that's all about.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    June 05, 2003
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by 133193Hokie View Post
    Has the ACC not seen that the big east TV market for college sports does not exist - just take a look at the BigEast.
    It does for Basketball. The northeast region of the US has more interest in general or at least as much interest in College Basketball as it does College Football. That's why there are three major leagues there in the ACC, The Big East, and the Atlantic Ten.

    For College Football, Notre Dame and Penn State carry all the support. The ACC doesn't have Notre Dame fully, but the ACC has a piece of Notre Dame football. In basketball the ACC has all the major players except UConn, Temple, and some of the members of the Big East. I think that the ACC can do well in the markets of the East. I think the ACC additions will sell better than the Big Ten's additions of Maryland and Rutgers.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    June 05, 2003
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    The ACC's goal has been to build what the PAC did on the West Coast. The B1G tried to break that up, but it didn't work. Now the ACC has the most and the richest people in the country...if they start winning the dollars will be mind blowing.
    Yes, and it has been a great strategy IMO. I'm mad a Maryland more than the Big Ten over this attempt to have a "blocking" strategy. The ACC has been Maryland's league for 60 years. But now that they have left, I will forget them along with most everyone else in the east.

  6. #16
    Calamitous's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 14, 2004
    Posts
    864
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Annoucement will occur in New York. Every member has been requested to send a rep also. Annoucement at 4 pm. Also acc and members will cling the bell at the ny stock exchange . Don't know what this about. Just interesting
    ACC satellite office in NYC?

    In reality, it's probably just a fancy introduction for Pitt, SU and ND using a high profile platform. I think the ACC missed the boat with MSG in February, leaving that to the new Big East for now. TV deal is too soon I think, but that would be great if that's what this is all about. Could be a Pinstripe Bowl deal. Or it could just be a lot of hot air to get under the B1G's skin.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    October 06, 2007
    Posts
    351
    A completely off base thought lead me to google raycom. I wondered if it was a public or private company. I was wondering if the NYC Stock exchange had anything to do with them. It was a completely off base idea. However, I had no idea about the history of raycom and how many ties VT had to them.

    Here is another completely off the wall idea. ESPN has been laying off people. The conferences have really begun to create their own networks. I wonder if at some point ESPN spins off like ESPNU to a conference as a "Prebuilt" network it is in the base package almost everywhere and long term will they have the same breadth of inventory to choose from with the SEC Network and Big 10 Network etc.... may explain the lay offs.

    Probably WAAAY off base but an interesting thought.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    November 23, 1999
    Posts
    2,390

    The Big East BB championship game was on in every bar I walked past

    I went to NYC that weekend. I considering going to the game, but it was way too expensive on Stubhub. Not sure about the Big East in general, but that game was very popular in NYC.

    The good news is that both teams that were in it are now in the ACC, Syracuse and Louisville.

    We need to move the ACC tournament to NYC, or at least alternate it between Brooklyn and other cities. We need to make it clear that NYC is ACC territory, basketball-wise. Putting the ACC tournament there for a couple of years with Syracuse, ND, Duke, Pitt, UNC, etc. will do that. I don't believe the Big Ten or the Big East can match that.

    Quote Originally Posted by 133193Hokie View Post
    Has the ACC not seen that the big east TV market for college sports does not exist - just take a look at the BigEast.

  9. #19
    PadrosWindup's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 16, 2003
    Posts
    5,013
    Here is an ESPN article from last month on MSG and college bball tournaments.

    http://espn.go.com/new-york/mens-col...en-sources-say


    Catholic7 has MSG through 2026. MSG has outs if benchmarks are not met, and this may happen. Losing Syracuse, ND, UConn, Pitt and LVille will hurt BE tourney attendance big time, and I don't see any of the new additions making up for it.

    The New BE's center of gravity will be between Philly and DC, with another midwest axis given the strength of Butler, Xavier and Marquette. That's where I see their tourney ending up - Philly/DC/Cinncy/Indy rotation.

    A-10 tried Brooklyn, but doesn't have the NYC presence to pull it off. The A-10's strength has always been in Philly, and will be even more mid Atlantic oriented with Mason and Davidson adding to LaSalle, St Joes, GW, Richmond, VCU. This tournament will REALLY work in Philly, DC or Richmond. The CAA is moving out of Richmond, so the opportunity is there.

    The ACC has been looking for a second home outside of the Carolina cities for it's tournament for over 30 years. NYC, like Greensboro and Charlotte, is neutral territory - nobody's home court, and it will draw fans. This could make for a great North/South rotation for an event that would dominate sports TV annually the first weekend in March.

    A trial run in Brooklyn in the next couple years would be a great shot across the bow of the new Big East. Then watch the Big East tourney not meet its commitments to MSG, and take over the World's Most Famous Arena.

    Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    It does for Basketball. The northeast region of the US has more interest in general or at least as much interest in College Basketball as it does College Football. That's why there are three major leagues there in the ACC, The Big East, and the Atlantic Ten.

    For College Football, Notre Dame and Penn State carry all the support. The ACC doesn't have Notre Dame fully, but the ACC has a piece of Notre Dame football. In basketball the ACC has all the major players except UConn, Temple, and some of the members of the Big East. I think that the ACC can do well in the markets of the East. I think the ACC additions will sell better than the Big Ten's additions of Maryland and Rutgers.
    Last edited by PadrosWindup; Sat Jun 22 2013 at 04:29 PM.
    BCS level college football is a resource war, not a morality play.

  10. #20

    Join Date
    May 21, 2003
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    28,158
    Quote Originally Posted by 133193Hokie View Post
    Has the ACC not seen that the big east TV market for college sports does not exist - just take a look at the BigEast.
    It does for basketball...and that is ALL the ACC cares about.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •