Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    And where are the research dollars? It does VT no good to be associated with great schools if it can't parlay that into some kind of academic gains.

Why fixate on private schools like BC and Syracuse when Rutgers has a much bigger research presence, is closer, is better in football, and has more alumni? Why wasn't Pitt invited ahead of Syracuse in 2003?

The ACC's decision makers are pulled in a lot of directions. But of course when your business plan has a built-in heterogenous mix of private and public schools, you end up making strange decisions.
    But hey, we can study abroad w/ Louisville students now. That's about the only way in which the ACC schools seem to be collaborating.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4vt View Post
    I think they could have invited WVU and remained on the high road oddly. People would have viewed it as a noble gesture I suppose. And WVU would have brought what the ACC needs most, football fans. Anyhow, they were essentially forced into taking Louisville as it became clear the conference was close to breaking apart.
    WVU?? High Road?? Your statement was TIC, right?

And where are the research dollars? It does VT no good to be associated with great schools if it can't parlay that into some kind of academic gains.

Why fixate on private schools like BC and Syracuse when Rutgers has a much bigger research presence, is closer, is better in football, and has more alumni? Why wasn't Pitt invited ahead of Syracuse in 2003?

The ACC's decision makers are pulled in a lot of directions. But of course when your business plan has a built-in heterogenous mix of private and public schools, you end up making strange decisions.
    That is why the ACC needs strong leadership, and leadership that everybody in the world knows isn't biased. Folks have complained of the UNC/Tobacco Rd bias in the ACC for decades. It was brought up by the FSU BOT member when he was first quoted as being unhappy with their conference affiliation. Anyhow, the ACC clearly needs a well respected leader from the B1G to come in and take control of the train wreck in Greensboro.

Quote Originally Posted by 133193Hokie View Post
    Agreed. As Will said - with the ACC, academics are important until they aren't. In essence, when all was relatively fine for the ACC they played the academics card on ACC membership. Than MD leaves, and the ACC needs a good replacement quickly and up comes Louisville.

This is not a knock on Louisville as I think they are a great addition - heck, I think they should have been added in the first round over BC.
    Yep. They claimed the high road until their backs were against the wall.
    "Knowledge is good"

--Emil Faber, 1904

what has VT's research budget done since joining the ACC? i don't have the numbers in front of me but i'm thinking it has gone up a reasonable amount. and if it hasn't i'll stand corrected

[QUOTE=lawhokie;787120]And where are the research dollars?

[QUOTE=daveinop;787258]what has VT's research budget done since joining the ACC? i don't have the numbers in front of me but i'm thinking it has gone up a reasonable amount. and if it hasn't i'll stand corrected

And where are the research dollars?
    Research expenditures have increased every year since joining the ACC. It was $268.7 Million in 2004 and $450.1 Million in 2011 according to Virginia Tech last December. Tech also passed UVa as the state's top research university during that period.

It's gone up quite a bit, despite inviting BC.

[QUOTE=daveinop;787258]what has VT's research budget done since joining the ACC? i don't have the numbers in front of me but i'm thinking it has gone up a reasonable amount. and if it hasn't i'll stand corrected

And where are the research dollars?
    A better group would have been VT, Rutgers and Pitt - three large-ish U's focused on research, and Syracuse and Miami. I'd have to imagine the ACC would have been much more attractive to PSU with four opponents within spitting distance.

Shortsighted ACC leadership beholden to small private schools caused that.

Instead, the ACC almost got BC, Cuse and Miami to mollify Duke et al. What a disaster the ACC would have been.
    Last edited by lawhokie; Tue Jun 18 2013 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    I have no problem with the Louisville invite. In fact, I'm excited to have a program that takes football seriously and is trending up.

I just get annoyed at the self-righteous ACC defenders who act like the ACC is some sort of elite academic conference where academics are not compromised. These same types of people are consumed by USNWR ratings and AAU membership as if these barometers are the be-all, end-all for excellence.
    Uh, outside of admissions officers, gift officers, and PR types, nobody in higher ed gives a flip about USN&WR rankings. AAU membership is indeed, for a research university, the be-all and end-all of academic excellence. And apart from the academies, there isn't a bowl division school that doesn't classify itself as a research university. The AAU obsession is like the SEC obsession many here have: football is the be-all and end-all of athletic excellence.

Depends on how you measure academic excellence. Sure AAU is a big deal. But an AAU school doesn't necessarily make it a place to get a great undergrad education.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfesser View Post
    Uh, outside of admissions officers, gift officers, and PR types, nobody in higher ed gives a flip about USN&WR rankings. AAU membership is indeed, for a research university, the be-all and end-all of academic excellence. And apart from the academies, there isn't a bowl division school that doesn't classify itself as a research university. The AAU obsession is like the SEC obsession many here have: football is the be-all and end-all of athletic excellence.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    Depends on how you measure academic excellence. Sure AAU is a big deal. But an AAU school doesn't necessarily make it a place to get a great undergrad education.
    Most of the top academic universities are AAU members. There are numerous small liberal arts schools throughout the nation that offer a quality undergraduate education. Tech is ranked ahead of a dozen AAU schools in research. I honestly think some of those schools shouldn't be AAU members, but I think the AAU is kind of like a snobbish Northern Good 'Ol Boys Club. UAB is ranked 28th in research yet most consider it to be an average school academically. A lot of AAU member schools are in the SUNY and U of California system. All the Ivy League schools except Dartmouth are members. There aren't too many Southern schools. I think UGa should be an AAU school. Vandy, Florida, Texas, TAMU, Rice, Tulane, Emory, UVa, UNC, GT, and Duke appear to be the only Southern members. I would place Tech with or even ahead of AAU schools like Oregon, Kansas, Iowa , Iowa State, Michigan State, Missouri, Indiana, Rutgers, Maryland, Minnesota,............ Tech recently added a medical school. I see the new Center for the Arts and the Signature Engineering Building as signs of Tech's commitment to future AAU membership. I also see all the new biosciences buildings as a sign too. The way I see it, Tech has the attitude that if you build it, they (top researchers and research dollars) will eventually come. The recent $450.1 Million in research expenditures says Tech is heading in the right direction. I guess Tech will continue to expand all their off-campus sites like Penn State and most Big 10 universities have done.