Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

I have no problem with the Louisville invite. In fact, I'm excited to have a program that takes football seriously and is trending up.

I just get annoyed at the self-righteous ACC defenders who act like the ACC is some sort of elite academic conference where academics are not compromised. These same types of people are consumed by USNWR ratings and AAU membership as if these barometers are the be-all, end-all for excellence.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Thats the trouble with so many hokie fans stuck in virginia they have not traveled and broadened their prospective. I travel alot on business and venture to louisville many times. The university has transformed since the metro days. it is a major university, with extensive research and academics now greater than UK. Their endowments for academics are higher than many ACC schools and the louisville through many public private development opportunities have created a great city with a tremendous arena, along the water front. I have been amazed the transformation that has occured. Two years ago I participated in several R&D efforts with Louisville and after working with their staff, I felt in my gut this school fits well in the ACC if offered.

These generalities by the un informed seem to be perceptions from the past.

Agreed. As Will said - with the ACC, academics are important until they aren't. In essence, when all was relatively fine for the ACC they played the academics card on ACC membership. Than MD leaves, and the ACC needs a good replacement quickly and up comes Louisville.

This is not a knock on Louisville as I think they are a great addition - heck, I think they should have been added in the first round over BC.

The emphasis on academics and broad based sports programs is written into every conference's mission statement. For example, here is the first line of the SEC's:

“The purpose of the Southeastern Conference is to assist its member institutions in the maintenance of programs of intercollegiate athletics which are compatible with the highest standards of education and competitive sports.”

The ACC's recent mission has been to keep FSU from leaving.

Thats the trouble with so many hokie fans stuck in virginia they have not traveled and broadened their prospective. I travel alot on business and venture to louisville many times. The university has transformed since the metro days. it is a major university, with extensive research and academics now greater than UK. Their endowments for academics are higher than many ACC schools and the louisville through many public private development opportunities have created a great city with a tremendous arena, along the water front. I have been amazed the transformation that has occured. Two years ago I participated in several R&D efforts with Louisville and after working with their staff, I felt in my gut this school fits well in the ACC if offered.

They're ranked about the same as WVU. Do I think they'll always be down there? No, but the simple fact is that they will be dead last in the ACC by a bunch. I personally don't care because the ACC is no different from other conferences. But to claim differently is just funny.
    "Knowledge is good"

--Emil Faber, 1904

Quote Originally Posted by I85Hokie View Post
    Let's face it, this is why the ACC will consistently be the weakest of the five major conferences in football and will get the lowest per-school revenue.

Private schools by conference:

Big-10 - 1
    Big-12 - 2
    Pac-12 - 2
    SEC - 1
    ACC - 5

Generally, it is harder for private schools to be consistently good in football. One can only assume that the ACC is happy with the current situation. The ACC is the best academic conference (although c'mon, not really THAT much better than the Big-10 and Pac-12). And if a lower revenue-per-school TV contract is the price we have to pay (plus selling our soul to Notre Dame), then so be it.
    And where are the research dollars? It does VT no good to be associated with great schools if it can't parlay that into some kind of academic gains.

Why fixate on private schools like BC and Syracuse when Rutgers has a much bigger research presence, is closer, is better in football, and has more alumni? Why wasn't Pitt invited ahead of Syracuse in 2003?

The ACC's decision makers are pulled in a lot of directions. But of course when your business plan has a built-in heterogenous mix of private and public schools, you end up making strange decisions.

You don't need to travel to Louisville to see the ACT profile.

It's not much different than WVU's, and far below the ACC norm. Sometimes you can ignore low admissions scores when you have a huge student body, but Louisville only has 14k undergrads.

If you've done any traveling you know that just about every large public school has changed dramatically in the last twenty years. How about ODU? Been to Georgia Tech lately?

I have no problem with adding Louisville because of their emphasis on research, and due to their football and basketball programs. But UL is still a compromise from an academic standpoint. I'm sure some of the blue blood class was unhappy but they got Syracuse, didn't they?
    Last edited by lawhokie; Tue Jun 18 2013 at 03:24 PM.

What? The folks at US News and WR must never get out of Va.

Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    The ACC's recent mission has been to keep FSU from leaving.
    Yep, and they nearly lost others as well.

Quote Originally Posted by reestuart View Post
    All that went out the window when the ACC brought Louisville in. Maybe not all in for football, but the academic high road is now gone.
    I think they could have invited WVU and remained on the high road oddly. People would have viewed it as a noble gesture I suppose. And WVU would have brought what the ACC needs most, football fans. Anyhow, they were essentially forced into taking Louisville as it became clear the conference was close to breaking apart.