Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

The ACC's fixation with private universities

Let's face it, this is why the ACC will consistently be the weakest of the five major conferences in football and will get the lowest per-school revenue.

Private schools by conference:

Big-10 - 1
    Big-12 - 2
    Pac-12 - 2
    SEC - 1
    ACC - 5

Generally, it is harder for private schools to be consistently good in football. One can only assume that the ACC is happy with the current situation. The ACC is the best academic conference (although c'mon, not really THAT much better than the Big-10 and Pac-12). And if a lower revenue-per-school TV contract is the price we have to pay (plus selling our soul to Notre Dame), then so be it.

If you look at the ACC mission statement, the vision of the conference is not football centric but promotion of academic and athletic excellence for a comprehensive sports program. Football is not the focus of the conference, but the comprehensive offerings and opportunities for all sports program. ACC schools are not going to compromise academics for football first.

For sports fans, if you are desiring to support schools that are football centric and the priority for the university's it is not the ACC schools. Please go somewhere else. No acc school wants to be known like the recruit for South carolina stating at South Carolina they make it easy no not fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    If you look at the ACC mission statement, the vision of the conference is not football centric but promotion of academic and athletic excellence for a comprehensive sports program. Football is not the focus of the conference, but the comprehensive offerings and opportunities for all sports program. ACC schools are not going to compromise academics for football first.

For sports fans, if you are desiring to support schools that are football centric and the priority for the university's it is not the ACC schools. Please go somewhere else. No acc school wants to be known like the recruit for South carolina stating at South Carolina they make it easy no not fail.
    All that went out the window when the ACC brought Louisville in. Maybe not all in for football, but the academic high road is now gone.
    "Knowledge is good"

--Emil Faber, 1904

Quote Originally Posted by reestuart View Post
    All that went out the window when the ACC brought Louisville in. Maybe not all in for football, but the academic high road is now gone.
    The same was said when FSU was invited.

Heck, UNC professors openly said the same thing about VT. Worst part from one of them was to accuse us of fielding a "dirty" program from atop their lofty "unblemished" throne. Oh the irony...lol
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

Quote Originally Posted by I85Hokie View Post
    Generally, it is harder for private schools to be consistently good in football.
    I'm not sure how true that is. are they not good at football because they are private, or because they have never placed an emphasis on (or simply experienced) football success? Do ND, USC-w and Miami use being private as an excuse? When schools like Baylor and Stanford find the right coaches and talent, have they remained doormats? TCU overcame being private AND being in a mid-major cnoference. What about BC and Wake winning their division over schools like FSU and Clemson?

Being private isn't the issue. Overcoming decades of not playing for championships is the issue. if a private schools can build a winning tradition, prove to potential coaches that they have the resources to compete, then they can do exactly what any public school can do. Who's more popular in SoCal? The school with the most students and alumni in the nicer neighborhood (UCLA) or the small (relative) private school on the edge of the hood?

The ACC's private schools simply need to stop making excuses and use the resources afforded them to go out and compete!
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

I'd also say it went out the window with scandals at UNC and Miami. And further, I'd say that your father's ACC and their mission statement left with the original invite to Miami.
    Quote Originally Posted by reestuart View Post

In retrospect, FSU carried their weight in the conference. The same can't be said about Miami.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post

Heck, UNC professors openly said the same thing about VT. Worst part from one of them was to accuse us of fielding a "dirty" program from atop their lofty "unblemished" throne. Oh the irony...lol

The ACC is wingin' it and doesn't know what its mission is anymore. If the conference doesn't emphasize football like other conferences, then what was the ill-fated Miami invitation all about?

Prefer academics? What about the invite of Louisville? Not to mention the UNC scandal that has received little more than a proverbial slap on the wrist.

Pride yourself on equality among members? Enter partial-member Notre Dame.

Let's get down to brass tacks, the conference is about making money for the athletic departments of its members. And in comparison to other major conferences, they aren't even particularly go at that either. Sure, there are other considerations. But in the case of the ACC, these other considerations have been diluted and compromised.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post

Thats the trouble with so many hokie fans stuck in virginia they have not traveled and broadened their prospective. I travel alot on business and venture to louisville many times. The university has transformed since the metro days. it is a major university, with extensive research and academics now greater than UK. Their endowments for academics are higher than many ACC schools and the louisville through many public private development opportunities have created a great city with a tremendous arena, along the water front. I have been amazed the transformation that has occured. Two years ago I participated in several R&D efforts with Louisville and after working with their staff, I felt in my gut this school fits well in the ACC if offered.

These generalities by the un informed seem to be perceptions from the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post

FSU is still ranked in the top 100 while Louisville is a WVU-like #160. FSU was always "respectable" academically. It is true that when they joined the ACC that they were the lowest rated school academically. FSU has now passed NC State in the rankings. The loss of Maryland and the addition of Louisville has put the Big 10 ahead of the ACC in academic ratings (according to the USN&WR). If Maryland would have stayed, the ACC would have increased their ranking over the Big 10 with the new additions (ND, Pitt, and Cuse). The Big 10 has always been the top conference in graduate research and now they are the top in undergrad academics if you believe the USN&WR rankings.

I also remember Rutgers badmouthing Tech's academics when we were in the Big East. I'm not surprised by the top tier ACC schools (Duke, UVA, UNC, Wake, GT, BC, ..) saying negative things about Tech's academics. That's to be expected. With 3 more northern schools in the ACC, get use to hearing about the rednecks and hillbillies in Blacksburg. My sister took some classes at NC State and one of her professors even joked about the hillbillies at Tech and the average academics. Hearing that from NC State just made me laugh. Sometimes I wonder if Tech were located in Richmond or Northern VA if we would be ranked higher.