Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: ACC Travel

  1. #1
    Old Line Hokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 05, 2001
    Location
    3659′36″N 7813′30″W
    Posts
    3,481

    ACC Travel

    With the latest additions and subtraction in the ACC, Tech is a now closer to the geographic center of the conference than UNC and NC State if you average out the travel distances (Rand McNally) of each school.

    Closest to furthest from the center (Between Greensboro and Winston Salem in Kernersville) of the ACC geographic footprint in order: Wake-UNC-Duke-NC State-VT-UVa-Clemson-GT-Pitt-Lville-FSU-Cuse-ND-BC-Miami.

    Least to Greatest travel distance average in order: Wake-Duke-VT-UNC-NC State-UVa-Clemson-GT-Pitt-Lville-FSU-Cuse-ND-BC-Miami.

    Tech's average travel distance is 405 miles. Miami's is 979 miles. Greensboro's (Swofford's) average is 365 miles while Wake's is 366 miles. Basically, Tech and the 4 North Carolina schools are about the same distance average-wise.


  2. #2

    Join Date
    October 07, 1999
    Posts
    4,706
    When Pitt and Syracuse were added, I remember seeing where Danville was the geographic center of the conference. With Maryland gone and ND, UL in, I would say that would put the center somewhere near Blacksburg or points west along rt. 460.

  3. #3
    Old Line Hokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 05, 2001
    Location
    3659′36″N 7813′30″W
    Posts
    3,481
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Tango View Post
    When Pitt and Syracuse were added, I remember seeing where Danville was the geographic center of the conference. With Maryland gone and ND, UL in, I would say that would put the center somewhere near Blacksburg or points west along rt. 460.
    I was going by highway miles. Maybe air miles favor Danville? The center of the ACC is somewhere within the Winston-Salem-Greensboro-Danville-Martinsville trapezoid.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    January 01, 2005
    Location
    Blacksburg
    Posts
    4,404
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    With the latest additions and subtraction in the ACC, Tech is a now closer to the geographic center of the conference than UNC and NC State if you average out the travel distances (Rand McNally) of each school.

    Closest to furthest from the center (Between Greensboro and Winston Salem in Kernersville) of the ACC geographic footprint in order: Wake-UNC-Duke-NC State-VT-UVa-Clemson-GT-Pitt-Lville-FSU-Cuse-ND-BC-Miami.

    Least to Greatest travel distance average in order: Wake-Duke-VT-UNC-NC State-UVa-Clemson-GT-Pitt-Lville-FSU-Cuse-ND-BC-Miami.

    Tech's average travel distance is 405 miles. Miami's is 979 miles. Greensboro's (Swofford's) average is 365 miles while Wake's is 366 miles. Basically, Tech and the 4 North Carolina schools are about the same distance average-wise.

    Good job. I like any list that puts UMiami on the bottom.

  5. #5
    Edgeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 05, 2001
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    Posts
    49,228
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    I was going by highway miles. Maybe air miles favor Danville? The center of the ACC is somewhere within the Winston-Salem-Greensboro-Danville-Martinsville trapezoid.
    You can make it a pentagram if you add High Point.
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

  6. #6

    Join Date
    October 07, 1999
    Posts
    4,706
    Further inspection shows the center of the ACC to be in Carroll County, Virginia near Laurel Fork.
    See Map here.

  7. #7
    Old Line Hokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 05, 2001
    Location
    3659′36″N 7813′30″W
    Posts
    3,481
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Tango View Post
    Further inspection shows the center of the ACC to be in Carroll County, Virginia near Laurel Fork.
    See Map here.
    Pretty cool. I changed Miami to Coral Gables, FL. Geographically, Tech is about 3 or 4 miles closer to the ACC geographic center (Laurel Fork, VA) than Wake Forest. Maybe the ACC can move headquarters to Fancy Gap and Frank Beamer can be the new commissioner?


  8. #8
    VT8207's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 19, 2006
    Location
    Hillsville
    Posts
    317
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Tango View Post
    Further inspection shows the center of the ACC to be in Carroll County, Virginia near Laurel Fork.
    See Map here.
    Technically - this area is called Gladesboro.... I should know, I live about a mile west of the center mark. Interesting to know I'm this close to the center of this particular universe..... No wonder it feels so right!
    "It's not right; this damn woman doing something like this to me. I used to have power. Now old age is creeping up on me." - Lone Watie

  9. #9
    Old Line Hokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 05, 2001
    Location
    3659′36″N 7813′30″W
    Posts
    3,481
    Quote Originally Posted by VT8207 View Post
    Technically - this area is called Gladesboro.... I should know, I live about a mile west of the center mark. Interesting to know I'm this close to the center of this particular universe..... No wonder it feels so right!
    If the ACC added Cincinnati, the geographic center would move to an area between Richardson and Sylvatus in Carroll County.

    If UConn was added as the 16th member, the center would be just north of Callaway (Logan-Holland Cemetery) in Franklin County.

    If Texas was to become the 16th member, the geographic center would be about 15 miles north of Boone, NC.

    If the ACC added the University of Toronto Varsity Blues, the geographic center would be near Christiansburg. That's about as center as Blacksburg is going to get.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    October 10, 1999
    Location
    Sumter, SC
    Posts
    2,546
    well, let's invite Toronto and put a air hub in the 'burg; then we can truly say that all roads to the championship run through Blacksburg!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •