Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ACC Travel

ACC Travel

With the latest additions and subtraction in the ACC, Tech is a now closer to the geographic center of the conference than UNC and NC State if you average out the travel distances (Rand McNally) of each school.

Closest to furthest from the center (Between Greensboro and Winston Salem in Kernersville) of the ACC geographic footprint in order: Wake-UNC-Duke-NC State-VT-UVa-Clemson-GT-Pitt-Lville-FSU-Cuse-ND-BC-Miami.

Least to Greatest travel distance average in order: Wake-Duke-VT-UNC-NC State-UVa-Clemson-GT-Pitt-Lville-FSU-Cuse-ND-BC-Miami.

Tech's average travel distance is 405 miles. Miami's is 979 miles. Greensboro's (Swofford's) average is 365 miles while Wake's is 366 miles. Basically, Tech and the 4 North Carolina schools are about the same distance average-wise.

When Pitt and Syracuse were added, I remember seeing where Danville was the geographic center of the conference. With Maryland gone and ND, UL in, I would say that would put the center somewhere near Blacksburg or points west along rt. 460.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Tango View Post
    When Pitt and Syracuse were added, I remember seeing where Danville was the geographic center of the conference. With Maryland gone and ND, UL in, I would say that would put the center somewhere near Blacksburg or points west along rt. 460.
    I was going by highway miles. Maybe air miles favor Danville? The center of the ACC is somewhere within the Winston-Salem-Greensboro-Danville-Martinsville trapezoid.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    With the latest additions and subtraction in the ACC, Tech is a now closer to the geographic center of the conference than UNC and NC State if you average out the travel distances (Rand McNally) of each school.

Closest to furthest from the center (Between Greensboro and Winston Salem in Kernersville) of the ACC geographic footprint in order: Wake-UNC-Duke-NC State-VT-UVa-Clemson-GT-Pitt-Lville-FSU-Cuse-ND-BC-Miami.

Least to Greatest travel distance average in order: Wake-Duke-VT-UNC-NC State-UVa-Clemson-GT-Pitt-Lville-FSU-Cuse-ND-BC-Miami.

Tech's average travel distance is 405 miles. Miami's is 979 miles. Greensboro's (Swofford's) average is 365 miles while Wake's is 366 miles. Basically, Tech and the 4 North Carolina schools are about the same distance average-wise.

Good job. I like any list that puts UMiami on the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    I was going by highway miles. Maybe air miles favor Danville? The center of the ACC is somewhere within the Winston-Salem-Greensboro-Danville-Martinsville trapezoid.
    You can make it a pentagram if you add High Point.
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

Further inspection shows the center of the ACC to be in Carroll County, Virginia near Laurel Fork.
    See Map here.

Further inspection shows the center of the ACC to be in Carroll County, Virginia near Laurel Fork.
    See Map here.
    Pretty cool. I changed Miami to Coral Gables, FL. Geographically, Tech is about 3 or 4 miles closer to the ACC geographic center (Laurel Fork, VA) than Wake Forest. Maybe the ACC can move headquarters to Fancy Gap and Frank Beamer can be the new commissioner?

See Map here.
    Technically - this area is called Gladesboro.... I should know, I live about a mile west of the center mark. Interesting to know I'm this close to the center of this particular universe..... No wonder it feels so right!
    "It's not right; this damn woman doing something like this to me. I used to have power. Now old age is creeping up on me." - Lone Watie

Quote Originally Posted by VT8207 View Post
    Technically - this area is called Gladesboro.... I should know, I live about a mile west of the center mark. Interesting to know I'm this close to the center of this particular universe..... No wonder it feels so right!
    If the ACC added Cincinnati, the geographic center would move to an area between Richardson and Sylvatus in Carroll County.

If UConn was added as the 16th member, the center would be just north of Callaway (Logan-Holland Cemetery) in Franklin County.

If Texas was to become the 16th member, the geographic center would be about 15 miles north of Boone, NC.

If the ACC added the University of Toronto Varsity Blues, the geographic center would be near Christiansburg. That's about as center as Blacksburg is going to get.

well, let's invite Toronto and put a air hub in the 'burg; then we can truly say that all roads to the championship run through Blacksburg!