Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 79
  1. #21
    When has ND ever lost any sleep over Fredo. ND doesn't care about Fredo. They weren't founded by or run by the same order of the Catholic church.

    Fredo doesn't help or hinder ND joining or not joining the ACC or any other conference for that matter.

    ND is interested in 1) keeping it's football independent. 2) Having a very good to great home for all of it's other sports. That's why ND left the BE. As the BE is presently constituted, basketball would have been fine. However, it's going to be a crap conference for Olympic sports. ND takes Olympic sports seriously.

    Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    Could have been as Irish bait only.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 21, 2013
    Location
    ROVAsucks
    Posts
    513
    Quote Originally Posted by reestuart View Post
    I don't see any reason for it. Wake won a championship a few years ago. Every conference has their dogs, and both of these schools have as many (or more) championships than UVa. Both have more than BC will ever have. That's the school that shouldn't be in the league.
    The BC teams from 2007 and 2008 would have beaten that Wake team. And does Wake or Duke have three straight regular season victories over VT, or does BC? Hmmm.

    Also, from Andy Bitter's column this week:

    Records since 1998

    1. Virginia Tech 148-48
    2. Miami 130-57
    3. Florida State 127-56
    4. Louisville 122-65
    5. Georgia Tech 120-73
    6. Clemson 115-74
    7. Boston College 113-75
    8. Pittsburgh 101-83
    9. N.C. State 102-84
    10. Virginia 97-88
    11. Wake Forest 85-96
    12. Syracuse 82-99
    13. North Carolina 70-96
    14. Duke 38-137

    Who is it that shouldn't be playing football in the ACC?

  3. #23
    seekoHoG's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 24, 2003
    Location
    Four Corners, Osceola County, Florida
    Posts
    4,536
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    The UNiversity position is ACC is the perfect fit for VT and secondary BIG 10 would be our second choice. VT is not a southern school any more and does not relate to many sec institutions
    Agree with your first sentence, but not your last. VT would fit in just fine with many SEC schools just as it does with Clemson, GaTech, NCSU, and FSU of the ACC, but the ACC will make sure we end up with northern brothers from the old Big East. VT belongs in the SEC. The ACC never wanted the Hokies and gives us the shaft every chance it gets. Just look at the football schedule for the next 10 years.

  4. #24
    seekoHoG's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 24, 2003
    Location
    Four Corners, Osceola County, Florida
    Posts
    4,536
    Quote Originally Posted by crabcake77 View Post
    That argument doesn't hold water. Basketball is an entirely different animal than football. Who has a 65,000 seat on campus basketball arena that they need to fill each game?

    Duke and Wake add nothing to the ACC football product (that accounts for ~70% of the value of the new media rights contract) and in fact detract from it. They serve only to oversaturate the NC market and siphon off revenue for a sport their alumni don't appear to value. I'd even go so far as to say many Wake and Duke alums look down their noses at the sport of football. But hey, why would they cut themselves off from the spigot?
    IMO, you totally underestimate the value of basketball in the ACC. It is not about filling the stadiums or the arenas. It is the fan appeal/TV audience that counts. VT adds very little to the value of ACC basketball. Hokies basketball IS the equivalent of Duke/Wake football.

  5. #25

    Join Date
    January 01, 2005
    Posts
    559
    I'm not claiming basketball has no value, I'm citing its value to the new contract with ESPN according to Swofford. Also, VT basketball may have little value now, but there's no reason to think that it can't improve considerably with some help from the admin. If the posts on this website are any indication, the alumni are demanding it. Duke and Wake are capped for football bacause of their tiny alumni base, their location in NC, and because their alumni aren't interested in the sport. So I disagree that Hokie basketball IS Duke/Wake football.

    I'm citing this quote:

    Swofford estimated that football drives 70-80 percent of rights fees and acknowledged that more national success in that sport would have meant additional revenue.
    From this article:

    http://www.dailypress.com/sports/tee...,5055710.story

    Quote Originally Posted by seekoHoG View Post
    IMO, you totally underestimate the value of basketball in the ACC. It is not about filling the stadiums or the arenas. It is the fan appeal/TV audience that counts. VT adds very little to the value of ACC basketball. Hokies basketball IS the equivalent of Duke/Wake football.
    Last edited by crabcake77; Fri Jun 14 2013 at 03:34 PM.

  6. #26

    Join Date
    January 05, 2001
    Posts
    5,673
    Should have taken WVU, Pitt, Louisville and even UConn ahead of BC and Rutgers. As between BC, Rutgers and Syracuse, I'm not sure who I would pick first. Rutgers is run like a train wreck and always has been; BC is irrelevant in its own town and Syracuse is just a basketball and lacrosse school that is way too far north.

  7. #27

    Join Date
    October 07, 1999
    Posts
    2,946
    Quote Originally Posted by seekoHoG View Post
    Agree with your first sentence, but not your last. VT would fit in just fine with many SEC schools just as it does with Clemson, GaTech, NCSU, and FSU of the ACC, but the ACC will make sure we end up with northern brothers from the old Big East. VT belongs in the SEC. The ACC never wanted the Hokies and gives us the shaft every chance it gets. Just look at the football schedule for the next 10 years.
    You're beating your head against the wall. I agree with you 100% but there are a lot of ACC cheerleaders who have blind loyalty to the conference on this board.

  8. #28
    Old Line Hokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 05, 2001
    Location
    3659′36″N 7813′30″W
    Posts
    3,481
    Quote Originally Posted by MPHOKIE View Post
    You're beating your head against the wall. I agree with you 100% but there are a lot of ACC cheerleaders who have blind loyalty to the conference on this board.
    It doesn't matter if you're pro-ACC or pro-SEC on this board, it's the Virginia Tech BOV's and president who make the decisions and they are committed to the ACC for the long haul. No use dreaming about SEC membership because it ain't happening. If it did, it would be another 15 years or so.

  9. #29

    Join Date
    January 01, 2005
    Posts
    371
    Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    Past championships have little to do with Duke and Wake's value on a school's schedule. They are a poor draw because that's what they are. That will never change imo, unless Duke pulls a Stanford.
    When I said Duke has potential, I mean they could possibly pull a Stanford. But it's a long shot at best.

  10. #30

    Join Date
    January 01, 2005
    Posts
    371
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    It doesn't matter if you're pro-ACC or pro-SEC on this board, it's the Virginia Tech BOV's and president who make the decisions and they are committed to the ACC for the long haul. No use dreaming about SEC membership because it ain't happening. If it did, it would be another 15 years or so.
    It couldn't happen unless the ACC collapses, and if the ACC collapses there are more appealing schools to the SEC than Virginia Tech. I think the school the SEC would really want the most is North Carolina, and they would probably be willing to take UNC's choice of either Duke or NC State to get them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •