Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

The ACC has made the decision to count on Notre Dame eventually. You can judge the wisdom of that decision negatively if you want to given this current configuration, but that's exactly what the ACC has done. And Notre Dame does have a large marquee in college football.

There remains one spot left if and when Notre Dame actually does enter fully. That presents an opportunity to add another marquee should one be available.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    Rutgers didn't fit the ACC profile. The ACC was looking for private universities. Tech only got in because of pressure from former UVa president John Casteen and former governor Mark Warner. The ACC had their eyes on Miami, BC, and Syracuse. The ACC is more interested in private universities and urban universities.
    Yet another example of the short-sightedness of the ACC. Other than Notre Dame, Miami, and USC in football, and Duke in basketball, there are no private universities that generate enough TV ratings or a national following to offset their small alumni bases. This is why the Big-10, with its giant public institutions, will forever kick the ACC's ass in terms of revenue, no matter how overrated its sports teams get. The ACC could have remedied this to some extent: taking WVU instead of BC in the first expansion, and Rutgers instead of Syracuse with the second.

One can only imagine how bad things would have got for the ACC had they taken Syracuse instead of VT. At the very least, FSU and Clemson (whose football fan bases are the least tolerant of mediocrity) would probably have gone to the Big-12

day when con
    Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    You only get 12 football games per year, and a game against Duke or Wake accounts for 1/12 of your schedule. In basketball, a game against VT counts either as 1/30th or 1/15th of UNC's schedule, for example, depending on the year.

Let's drop the semantics and look at this from a pragmatist's point of view: how much of Duke's or UNC's alumni donations are threatened because they play VT either once or twice a year? Now, how do those terrible ACC schedules affect FSU's coffers?

Haven't we already established that football is worth 70% (or is it 85%?) of our TV revenues? When you argue that football and basketball are on equal footing, you ignore the 'dilution' effect of a school is a smaller percentage of the overall schedule multiplied by a smaller percentage of revenue.

As for recruiting, I don't think your average basketball program minds playing in Virginia at least once or twice per year, but twice in North Carolina for football recruiting purposes is way overkill.

It's a nice try but it just doesn't pass the red face test. Nobody is threatening to leave the ACC because VT is diluting their basketball schedule, but FSU surely made it clear their football schedule was unacceptable.
    I don't agree it is that simple. To make this change would assume that WF and Duke football will *never* be good. More than that, it virtually assures it. There was a time when VT football wasn't very good, in the 80s, and you could walk up day of game and get your free student tickets. Just because some schools struggle I'm not sure you carve them out and say "good luck." Not in a conference. That defeats the purpose of having a conference. I could see the day when conferences go away and the world does work this way. But right now? Also, football drives revenue now, but will it always? With all the talk about how violent it is, long-term injuries, etc.? What if football changes, and its popularity ebbs?
    "I did not achieve this position in life by having some snot-nosed punk on The Lounge leave my cheese out in the wind." - WestyHokie

The only college/university president who has to put themselves into their school's TV ad. Reason #8590 I despise that woman. I swear when I see that commercial I can hear her thinking "It's all about me... I mean the U"

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    This lady was calling the shots.

Quote Originally Posted by I85Hokie View Post
    UNC and Duke could join the Big-10.
    ...or the SEC.

Our problem is not Wake and Duke but that we need a top ten team or two every year. With our 2014 line up, I think we can have several teams in the top 25 at any given point, and with luck one in the top ten most of the time. I would be fine with that.

I do. It is a major mistake to not start a VT Men's Lax team in the next five years. Lax is about to break out nationwide, IMO, and the ACC is the best place to be.

But you right that it is not necessary to the conference to have every team play every conference sponsored sport. IIRC, FSU does not have men's soccer, and lots of us don't have Lax, of course. Too hard to work everything into our limited budgets. No point in stressing a bunch of budgets to get that done.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    Conferences get their identity from football and mens basketball. Nothing else matters much. How many people know that Boise State is a member of the Pac12...in wrestling? But the Pac12 wouldn't give them the time of day wrt consideration for football membership.

In the other direction, how many people know or care that VT doesn't have Mens LAX? Not many I imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieDevil View Post
    The only college/university president who has to put themselves into their school's TV ad. Reason #8590 I despise that woman.
    Don't need to know your political leanings. Thanks.

The ACC has a shortage of marque teams because the top teams have underperformed for years. That includes VT. Beamer had a chance to keep improving but his personnel decisions over approx ten years prior to the last 6 months were terrible, resulting in slip-sliding of VT football.
    Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    Nope, the ACC has a shortage of marquee football programs. That's the problem. FSU, Clemson, Miami (when not on probation), VT, UNC (sort of, except they've been terrible in the ACC), and who else? GT? Really?

There is a dearth of ACC schools that move the ratings/interest needle in football. You have to think of this in practical terms. For example, Nebraska will always bring more fans to Blacksburg than GT, even when GT is having a much better season. Why? Who knows? They're Nebraska.