Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

Wake, Duke, and truly innovative thinking by the ACC.

I wonder if anybody has ever proposed offering Wake and Duke a Notre Dame-type deal? In other words, let these schools compete in all sports except football as ACC members, and give them 5 OOC games against ACC schools every year. Pay these schools a pro rata share of the ACC TV revs based on their 5 games.

The benefits to the league are numerous, but the biggest and most economically significant is that you avoid the enormous opportunity costs of 8 mandatory league games versus these schools. More specifically, the opportunity costs of 4 mandatory home games at these schools.

Duke and Wake have tiny, empty stadiums. They do not generate ticket revenue, and presumably they don't generate much in donations due to football.

Why not allow FSU to generate another $1-2 million by scheduling a home-home in lieu of a regular home/away with Wake? Or play a higher profile OOC home/away?

I know there are lots of arguments based on pride, etc., but the bottom line is that the students and alumni simply don't care about their football programs. You can identify fans that care because they're in the stands on gameday.

Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    I wonder if anybody has ever proposed offering Wake and Duke a Notre Dame-type deal? In other words, let these schools compete in all sports except football as ACC members, and give them 5 OOC games against ACC schools every year. Pay these schools a pro rata share of the ACC TV revs based on their 5 games.

The benefits to the league are numerous, but the biggest and most economically significant is that you avoid the enormous opportunity costs of 8 mandatory league games versus these schools. More specifically, the opportunity costs of 4 mandatory home games at these schools.

Duke and Wake have tiny, empty stadiums. They do not generate ticket revenue, and presumably they don't generate much in donations due to football.

Why not allow FSU to generate another $1-2 million by scheduling a home-home in lieu of a regular home/away with Wake? Or play a higher profile OOC home/away?

I know there are lots of arguments based on pride, etc., but the bottom line is that the students and alumni simply don't care about their football programs. You can identify fans that care because they're in the stands on gameday.
    I would love this, but it's never gonna happen.
    No trees were harmed in the making of this post. However, billions of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

I don't see any reason for it. Wake won a championship a few years ago. Every conference has their dogs, and both of these schools have as many (or more) championships than UVa. Both have more than BC will ever have. That's the school that shouldn't be in the league.
    "Knowledge is good"

--Emil Faber, 1904

Quote Originally Posted by reestuart View Post
    I don't see any reason for it. Wake won a championship a few years ago. Every conference has their dogs, and both of these schools have as many (or more) championships than UVa. Both have more than BC will ever have. That's the school that shouldn't be in the league.
    BC has more value since they are the only ACC member in New England. The ACC has 4 members in North Carolina. The ACC doesn't need Duke and Wake for TV ratings in that market. BC also has a larger stadium than Duke and Wake. Duke is going to finally upgrade their stadium and increase seating capacity. Wake already improved their stadium. Unfortunately for football, Duke and Wake and BC are going to remain full members.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    BC has more value since they are the only ACC member in New England. The ACC has 4 members in North Carolina. The ACC doesn't need Duke and Wake for TV ratings in that market. BC also has a larger stadium than Duke and Wake. Duke is going to finally upgrade their stadium and increase seating capacity. Wake already improved their stadium. Unfortunately for football, Duke and Wake and BC are going to remain full members.
    Duke has potential, and at least gives you a game that sounds like it should be played (Duke/North Carolina). Wake, in football really doesn't give you much of anything. I think their student body is the second or third smallest of any I-A school. We should have encouraged Wake to drop down to I-AA for football and remain in the ACC for other sports and added Rutgers while we had the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by 133304Hokie View Post
    Duke has potential, and at least gives you a game that sounds like it should be played (Duke/North Carolina). Wake, in football really doesn't give you much of anything. I think their student body is the second or third smallest of any I-A school. We should have encouraged Wake to drop down to I-AA for football and remain in the ACC for other sports and added Rutgers while we had the chance.
    Should have taken Rutgers ahead of BC. The Big Ten wouldn't have taken BC, so if the ACC ever wanted them, they'd have been there. Has it been proven that BC has actually added any value to the ACC?
    "Knowledge is good"

--Emil Faber, 1904

Quote Originally Posted by reestuart View Post
    Should have taken Rutgers ahead of BC. The Big Ten wouldn't have taken BC, so if the ACC ever wanted them, they'd have been there. Has it been proven that BC has actually added any value to the ACC?
    I agree. Rutgers would have been better than BC in retrospect. Probably would have been better than Syracuse too.

At no time was Fredo a better fit for the ACC. I guess for some, it looks that way in retrospect. However, at that time, I didn't think Fredo made any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by 133304Hokie View Post
    I agree. Rutgers would have been better than BC in retrospect. Probably would have been better than Syracuse too.

I'd like to see VT, Clemson, FSU, and NCState break away and bring the five best football schools who are willing to join them. 9 teams. Round robin. All great games that people want to see. I'm tired of these big conferences where ya go long stretches without seeing some conference members.

Last edited by Maroon Baboon; Thu Jun 13 2013 at 11:13 PM.

What is the motivation for Duke and Wake to give up all of that football money? They've got it great in the ACC as full members?