Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by MPHOKIE View Post
    Pure conjecture at this point. If it happens (I think it won't) I'll give all due credit. My point stands that you can't compare the conferences based on the 2011-12 numbers.
    FSU received almost $18.3M from the ACC for 2012-13.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sport...0,4330111.post

That's up from the almost $16.9M last year, and still prior to the new ESPN terms which don't kick in until July.

but you're right, there isn't an apples to apples out there, and i don't think there ever will be (some leagues pay for championships, some leagues make schools pay for them, etc).
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

So the Big 12 and PAC 12 are not done, but you are implying they will do better in a year, but as for the ACC their future being brighter...that is pure conjecture.

Pure conjecture at this point. If it happens (I think it won't) I'll give all due credit. My point stands that you can't compare the conferences based on the 2011-12 numbers.

It's less on the TV Committee made up of 3 presidents, than it is on the TV consultant, and Swofford. The presidents are academics. They know little of the world of sports broadcasting. They may make the final decision, but they rely very, very heavily on the advice of the TV consultant and on the conference commissioner.

If starting an ACC channel was at the front of the TV consultant's mind, and the front of Swofford's mind when signing the 1st contract that gave all ACC TV rights to espn, then they dropped the ball. If safeguards were added to protech the 3rd tier games should they be needed for an ACC network, then the TV consultant and Swofford screwed up. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by hokiebob01 View Post
    You must have missed the part where they have to buy the rights to a lot of games back from Raycom for it to be feasable.

If the ball is dropped it will be the TV consultants and the TV Committee made up of three presidents not Swofford.

You're never going to be able to get a meaningful comparison unless you know the complete formula for standard revenue share, one time adjustments and the way each conference handles bowl expenses and other common expenses/subsidies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    So the Big 12 and PAC 12 are not done, but you are implying they will do better in a year, but as for the ACC their future being brighter...that is pure conjecture.
    These numbers are from the final year of the Big 12/Pac 12's old TV deals. And the first year of the ACC's new TV deal. I am not implying the Big 12/Pac 12 will have better revenue numbers. The fact is they will have better revenue numbers when the 12-13 figures are released. Then we can compare.

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    ACC deal is not done either, "Swofford and ESPN officials are exploring the feasibility of a 24/7 ACC channel affiliated with the network – the league’s Eastern Seaboard-plus Chicago footprint is uniquely positioned for such a venture".
    LET US NOT OVERLOOK THE OBVIOUS; The branding rights for "ACC NETWORK" have already been assigned to Raycom. Raycom is paying $50 million a year for a subtantial chunk of ACC content. The ACC Network will materialize, but ESPN will not be a partner. It will be owned by Raycom. Minority interst by the Conference will assure cooperation of the schools for access to players, coaches, facilities, etc. and a share of ad revenue.
    ESPN is grateful to be receiving $50 million a year for content that they probably don't have room for on their channels, anyway.
    The real hurdle here is Raycom's ability to get carriage through the cable companies. Raycom becomes a cable network and Swofford Jr. is a prosperous young businessman.