Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Geography does create prolems in the ACC, but the East West version creates more old shcool rivalries. The ACC needs that until we expand again. It will create some more excitement that we need in the league...even thought it will probably not last long, we need it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    I think the main reason for the Big 10's divisional changes was mostly due to travel concerns, especially with 2 more eastern schools. They pretty much just divided the Big 10 into eastern and central time zones. That change put new members Maryland and Rutgers at ease about traveling and it made an increasingly unhappy Penn State happier. It just happen to be that the eastern division has traditional powers Penn State, Ohio State, and Michigan in it. Geographically, it worked out well for them. If the ACC did that by dividing it into more travel friendly north and south divisions, the south members/fans would be happy while the north would further frustrate Hokie fans since we would end up being in the Big East Football Conference again. The fact is, the ACC doesn't have as many football options as the Big 10 and likely never will with the 14 members it currently has.

There is going to be another division in CFB that pays a stipend IMHO. The only question is if the NCAA will run it or not. The Tier Two Diviion 1 football programs on down do not want it and if the NCAA can't get their vote, I believe the Tier Ones split to form their own division without the NCAA. If that happens I see four conferences with 4 divsions in each conference of 5 teams or 80 teams in the new Tier One. I think the ACC has locked up the 4th division and I can see the Big 12 schools or at least most of them joining one of the 4 remaning conferences. Their GOR's will fall apart if Texas and Oklahoma leave since the other schools will join another conference as fast as they can and make it basically null and void.

I can see the ACC getting schools like Texas, Oklahoma, *Tulane, UConn, Navy (if they want to pay the stipend) and Notre Dame for a full football member. ND will have to join a confence to get to the National Championship IMHO. That's why so many conferences fought to get them as a partial not that long ago.

*Tulane could be replaced by Army if they are willing to pay the stipend, which I am not sure that Army and Navy will be willing to pay the stipend. However, I did hear ten years ago that they would be a part of the new Tier. The person that told me that has been spot on over the last 10 years, but sometimes things change.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    What reasons do you have to think that more expansion is coming? If so, are we taalking rinky-dink stuff like UConn and Cincinnati? The two "hunted" (ACC and BigXII) have signed GORs. WHo else is there?

Campus sites work until Wake and GT pull another stuner, welcome to Groves Stadium

The shape of our footprint is decidedly worse than the SEC for the purpose of a CG game. That's why I say have it at the highest ranked team's home field and the home team is responsible for making sure it is a sell out. Or, if they are so pathetic that they fear they can't sell our a CG game ON THEIR OWN CAMPUS, then they can give the opponent the option to play it at their place.

Atlanta works for the SEC. But neither Tampa nor Charlotte work for the ACC.
    where a crowd of 25,000 has gathered or welcome to Grant Field where a crowd of 30,000 has gathered on the eve of the big SEC game across town.

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    There is going to be another division in CFB that pays a stipend IMHO. The only question is if the NCAA will run it or not. The Tier Two Diviion 1 football programs on down do not want it and if the NCAA can't get their vote, I believe the Tier Ones split to form their own division without the NCAA. If that happens I see four conferences with 4 divsions in each conference of 5 teams or 80 teams in the new Tier One. I think the ACC has locked up the 4th division and I can see the Big 12 schools or at least most of them joining one of the 4 remaning conferences. Their GOR's will fall apart if Texas and Oklahoma leave since the other schools will join another conference as fast as they can and make it basically null and void.

I can see the ACC getting schools like Texas, Oklahoma, *Tulane, UConn, Navy (if they want to pay the stipend) and Notre Dame for a full football member. ND will have to join a confence to get to the National Championship IMHO. That's why so many conferences fought to get them as a partial not that long ago.

*Tulane could be replaced by Army if they are willing to pay the stipend, which I am not sure that Army and Navy will be willing to pay the stipend. However, I did hear ten years ago that they would be a part of the new Tier. The person that told me that has been spot on over the last 10 years, but sometimes things change.
    I think you are probably right. But one question. Why is it that the Big 12's GOR can fall apart but the ACC's can't (or won't)?

And it would be worse if they played in Charlotte or Tampa
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyFishingHokie View Post
    where a crowd of 25,000 has gathered or welcome to Grant Field where a crowd of 30,000 has gathered on the eve of the big SEC game across town.

Like NASCAR. Top 2 teams make "the Chase." Uhh, no thanks.
    Who would want to see the two best teams? Let's allow 5 & 6 loss squads in.

Quote Originally Posted by laphroaig View Post
    A championship game without divisions is a crazier idea than wild card teams.
    What's crazy is watching a 6 loss GT instead of a top 10 Clemson squad. And that's been happening in many conferences. Let's put the two best teams in the championship game.

we should allow top two if one of the division champs is on probation. with divisions getting bigger, the chances of a 5-6 loss div champ will be less. but you make a good point.

This is also why Clemson and FSU shouldn't be in the same division. They are the best two programs if you take everything into consideration.

This is also why Clemson and FSU shouldn't be in the same division. They are the best two programs if you take everything into consideration.
    True for now, but who knows what the future brings? Maybe all that cheating that Miami and UNC did will finally pay off. Both football program's futures look promising. UNC should be right up there with FSU, Clemson, and us. There's no reason UVa, GT, Pitt, or NC State can't be there too. They all have the money and resources to do just as well as the top 2 or 3 teams. That's been the problem with the ACC for a long time. Not many football programs are living up to their potential.