Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I would not be surprised if all the coaches want an easier regular season schedule. They know that with a good record they keep their job. However, if the ACC wants to compete with the SEC and now the B1G, keep attendance from dropping and get TV ratings up they may want to rethink their position.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    actually folks might consider that VT likes the schedule proposed. If they are playing Ohio State or Michigan they dont want to play FSU or Clemson in the same year (much less ND). What I saw in the VT schedule ohio state series wake and state, wisconsin ND or Clemson (now thats tough) 18 FSU no prime Non ACC team schedule or 19 ND home no prime non-ACC team. Mich series wake

Looks like assuring 10 game seasons

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    I would not be surprised if all the coaches want an easier regular season schedule. They know that with a good record they keep their job. However, if the ACC wants to compete with the SEC and now the B1G, keep attendance from dropping and get TV ratings up they may want to rethink their position.
    Spot on!

How much say did ESPN have in conference scheduling and cross rival opponents? I'm just wondering since they invested lots of money into the ACC.

I was reading a NY Times article about the potential of an ACC Network but ESPN has a few concerns. One of their concerns is the Northeast TV market which has never had a great history of supporting college football (except for Penn State or any team that is in the top 10 which rarely occurs). Their biggest concern deals with BC, Syracuse, and Pitt markets. Penn State has about 7/8 of the college football viewing market in Pennsylvania. Some will go as far to say that PSU does better in Pittsburgh than Pitt. The Steelers garner most of the fan interest there. If Syracuse is mediocre (which is most of the time), no one in Upstate New York really cares. They are like Duke fans waiting for men's basketball season. Boston area sports fans only watch BC when they play Notre Dame, FSU, or maybe Virginia Tech. Most of the fans in that area only follow the Patriots.

ESPN is comfortable that an ACC Network will do well in Virginia, the Carolinas, and Florida. They are still unsure about Georgia Tech support in Atlanta, especially with Georgia and their SEC Network. Louisville area viewers will probably embrace an ACC Network but will the rest of the state Kentucky do the same since a majority of the state's sports fans follow the Wildcats. Notre Dame will benefit the ACC Network with their brand name and their 5 football games against ACC teams.

Adding Notre Dame as a full member would help out greatly. Adding 4 or 5 Big 12 teams like Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas would help too. If the ACC just goes to 16 (with Notre Dame as a full member), then UConn would probably improve ACC Network viewership in New England since they would give BC a hated regional rival and stir things up in the sleepy New England college sports scene. UConn would also give the NYC Metro area a second ACC team to go along with Syracuse. UConn-'Cuse basketball would possibly help NYC area ratings. Then there's Cincinnati who gets about 1/16 of the fan support in Ohio. I would safely bet that Ohio State has more of a football following in southwest Ohio than Cincinnati. The ACC isn't interested in WVU. South Florida wouldn't greatly increase viewership in Florida since the state already has 2 ACC schools. Getting the northern footprint of the ACC to follow college football could be a major stumbling block in establishing an ACC Network.
    Last edited by Old Line Hokie; Sun Jun 09 2013 at 08:44 PM.

I have said repeatedly that I think more expansion is coming and it is why the ACC is not changing much right now. That was my initial reaction, but after thinking about it I think the ACC needed something that would get the football schools excited now. I think the B1G adding Rutgers and Maryland is a yawn, but I think the new B1G 10 East division is a home run and we needed to match that move.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    How much say did ESPN have in conference scheduling and cross rival opponents? I'm just wondering since they invested lots of money into the ACC.

I was reading a NY Times article about the potential of an ACC Network but ESPN has a few concerns. One of their concerns is the Northeast TV market which has never had a great history of supporting college football (except for Penn State or any team that is in the top 10 which rarely occurs). Their biggest concern deals with BC, Syracuse, and Pitt markets. Penn State has about 7/8 of the college football viewing market in Pennsylvania. Some will go as far to say that PSU does better in Pittsburgh than Pitt. The Steelers garner most of the fan interest there. If Syracuse is mediocre (which is most of the time), no one in Upstate New York really cares. They are like Duke fans waiting for men's basketball season. Boston area sports fans only watch BC when they play Notre Dame, FSU, or maybe Virginia Tech. Most of the fans in that area only follow the Patriots.

ESPN is comfortable that an ACC Network will do well in Virginia, the Carolinas, and Florida. They are still unsure about Georgia Tech support in Atlanta, especially with Georgia and their SEC Network. Louisville area viewers will probably embrace an ACC Network but will the rest of the state Kentucky do the same since a majority of the state's sports fans follow the Wildcats. Notre Dame will benefit the ACC Network with their brand name and their 5 football games against ACC teams.

Adding Notre Dame as a full member would help out greatly. Adding 4 or 5 Big 12 teams like Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas would help too. If the ACC just goes to 16 (with Notre Dame as a full member), then UConn would probably improve ACC Network viewership in New England since they would give BC a hated regional rival and stir things up in the sleepy New England college sports scene. UConn would also give the NYC Metro area a second ACC team to go along with Syracuse. UConn-'Cuse basketball would possibly help NYC area ratings. Then there's Cincinnati who gets about 1/16 of the fan support in Ohio. I would safely bet that Ohio State has more of a football following in southwest Ohio than Cincinnati. The ACC isn't interested in WVU. South Florida wouldn't greatly increase viewership in Florida since the state already has 2 ACC schools. Getting the northern footprint of the ACC to follow college football could be a major stumbling block in establishing an ACC Network.

Quote Originally Posted by 133304Hokie View Post
    If we want to still have a championship game we do. NCAA rules state that you can only have a championship game if you have 2 divisions.
    A championship game without divisions is a crazier idea than wild card teams.

Like NASCAR. Top 2 teams make "the Chase." Uhh, no thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by laphroaig View Post
    We need NCAA permission to do away with divisions?

I have said repeatedly that I think more expansion is coming and it is why the ACC is not changing much right now. That was my initial reaction, but after thinking about it I think the ACC needed something that would get the football schools excited now. I think the B1G adding Rutgers and Maryland is a yawn, but I think the new B1G 10 East division is a home run and we needed to match that move.
    I think the main reason for the Big 10's divisional changes was mostly due to travel concerns, especially with 2 more eastern schools. They pretty much just divided the Big 10 into eastern and central time zones. That change put new members Maryland and Rutgers at ease about traveling and it made an increasingly unhappy Penn State happier. It just happen to be that the eastern division has traditional powers Penn State, Ohio State, and Michigan in it. Geographically, it worked out well for them. If the ACC did that by dividing it into more travel friendly north and south divisions, the south members/fans would be happy while the north would further frustrate Hokie fans since we would end up being in the Big East Football Conference again. The fact is, the ACC doesn't have as many football options as the Big 10 and likely never will with the 14 members it currently has.

The shape of our footprint is decidedly worse than the SEC for the purpose of a CG game. That's why I say have it at the highest ranked team's home field and the home team is responsible for making sure it is a sell out. Or, if they are so pathetic that they fear they can't sell our a CG game ON THEIR OWN CAMPUS, then they can give the opponent the option to play it at their place.

Atlanta works for the SEC. But neither Tampa nor Charlotte work for the ACC.
    Because of the location and academics of the ACC I will admit I like being in the conference, (I am ducking right now) but the scheduling thing like the ACC Champ game in Florida is/was flawed. The SEC picked Atlanta for their Champ game because it is an easy drive for most if not all in the SEC. While Charlotte is not perfect it is wayyyy better than getting to Florida with a week's notice for most schools in the ACC.

Back to the schedule, I do think we are going to change the scheduling due to more expansion, but until then you recruit on match ups. You get attendance on match ups. You get TV ratings on match ups. So even if you change down the road, not having them to help you with those three things now cost you in a big way.

People need to let John Swofford know if they want better match ups. He has changed his mind because of the fans over ruling the coaches who are taking the safe, but not rewarding road on this one.

What reasons do you have to think that more expansion is coming? If so, are we taalking rinky-dink stuff like UConn and Cincinnati? The two "hunted" (ACC and BigXII) have signed GORs. WHo else is there?

I think that is the next step and if/when we go to 4 divisions the highest ranked team in the division should get the home game. That will help teams want to play big schedules during the regualr season.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    The shape of our footprint is decidedly worse than the SEC for the purpose of a CG game. That's why I say have it at the highest ranked team's home field and the home team is responsible for making sure it is a sell out. Or, if they are so pathetic that they fear they can't sell our a CG game ON THEIR OWN CAMPUS, then they can give the opponent the option to play it at their place.

Atlanta works for the SEC. But neither Tampa nor Charlotte work for the ACC.
    Last edited by Stech; Mon Jun 10 2013 at 07:31 AM.