Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

We clearly need innovation and foresight WRT ACC scheduling, we've gotten neither.

Let's see how far the league continues to have to sink before they make a change. We've predicted this thing would suck with lack of division realignment for over a year now, but it seems it will take further devaluing of the conference to convince Greensboro. I would do one of two things if I were the ACC, I would create a rotating division alignment in order to allow more quality match ups and/or I would kick, scream, and claw for the NCAA to allow us to do away w/ divisions entirely. We'll see how much clout the ACC has in such a scenario. I can't imagine the B1G, SEC, or Pac12 putting up too much of a fight due to their scheduling issues anyhow. Oh well, it looks like the ACC brass is good at taking a bad idea/contract and extending out as far as they can.

Because of the location and academics of the ACC I will admit I like being in the conference, (I am ducking right now) but the scheduling thing like the ACC Champ game in Florida is/was flawed. The SEC picked Atlanta for their Champ game because it is an easy drive for most if not all in the SEC. While Charlotte is not perfect it is wayyyy better than getting to Florida with a week's notice for most schools in the ACC.

Back to the schedule, I do think we are going to change the scheduling due to more expansion, but until then you recruit on match ups. You get attendance on match ups. You get TV ratings on match ups. So even if you change down the road, not having them to help you with those three things now cost you in a big way.

People need to let John Swofford know if they want better match ups. He has changed his mind because of the fans over ruling the coaches who are taking the safe, but not rewarding road on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4vt View Post
    Let's see how far the league continues to have to sink before they make a change. We've predicted this thing would suck with lack of division realignment for over a year now, but it seems it will take further devaluing of the conference to convince Greensboro. I would do one of two things if I were the ACC, I would create a rotating division alignment in order to allow more quality match ups and/or I would kick, scream, and claw for the NCAA to allow us to do away w/ divisions entirely. We'll see how much clout the ACC has in such a scenario. I can't imagine the B1G, SEC, or Pac12 putting up too much of a fight due to their scheduling issues anyhow. Oh well, it looks like the ACC brass is good at taking a bad idea/contract and extending out as far as they can.

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    Because of the location and academics of the ACC I will admit I like being in the conference, (I am ducking right now) but the scheduling thing like the ACC Champ game in Florida is/was flawed. The SEC picked Atlanta for their Champ game because it is an easy drive for most if not all in the SEC. While Charlotte is not perfect it is wayyyy better than getting to Florida with a week's notice for most schools in the ACC.

Back to the schedule, I do think we are going to change the scheduling due to more expansion, but until then you recruit on match ups. You get attendance on match ups. You get TV ratings on match ups. So even if you change down the road, not having them to help you with those three things now cost you in a big way.

People need to let John Swofford know if they want better match ups. He has changed his mind because of the fans over ruling the coaches who are taking the safe, but not rewarding road on this one.
    Who do we let know that we, the fans and alums, are not happy with most of the decisions coming out of league offices? Seriously, about the only thing I appreciate about what they've done is the ND deal. And of course, ND is merely a partial victory. We used to be able to play the academic card, but we sold out on that with Louisville. There's a lot of truth to what OSU's Perez said about that.

We need NCAA permission to do away with divisions?

Quote Originally Posted by laphroaig View Post
    We need NCAA permission to do away with divisions?
    If we want to still have a championship game we do. NCAA rules state that you can only have a championship game if you have 2 divisions.

Remember if it is all negative the receiver will not listen...there is all sorts of data to support that fact if you research it. Think about how you react when someone tells you everything you did is wrong. First that is seldom true and second even if it is you don't want to hear it and you will probably just dig in your heels. (No pun intended)

So first find something they did right and if that is the ND thing for you go with it. Then talk about how they can improve things if they will just do xyz. Most people will take it better if you point out their wins and then talk about how to improve things. Back it up with the SEC is doing xyz and the B1G is doing xyz we need to do it to keep up with them.

Sorry for the first part, but getting the change is not just about doing the right thing, it is about doing it the right way too. So with that in mind write John Swofford a letter. His admin will go through the mail and she will pass along the ones that she thinks he ought to read. Why? Because the guy gets tons of mail in a days time. A big part of her job is not to waste his time.

The same is true with Jim Weaver. He will not be as influential as Swofford, but the AD's have a say too. Their job is to pay for everything, but the coaches like to keep their jobs and consequently they often times water down the schedule.

PS If you can get their email that can work too, but they get so many of those that you have a much better chance with a snail mail letter.

Who do we let know that we, the fans and alums, are not happy with most of the decisions coming out of league offices? Seriously, about the only thing I appreciate about what they've done is the ND deal. And of course, ND is merely a partial victory. We used to be able to play the academic card, but we sold out on that with Louisville. There's a lot of truth to what OSU's Perez said about that.

Why is he taking direction from the coaches? I thought he reported to the university presidents and/or ADs. He needs to show some leadership and do what is right for the entire conference and not what coach screams the loudest. Show some dang leadership !!!
    Last edited by 133193Hokie; Sun Jun 09 2013 at 05:18 PM.

Bingo!!....and dittos to all the above.
    As I said in an earlier post all the conferences are being hamstrung by the division deal.
    They were only designed to get a championship game approved in the first place.
    The NCAA is not going to oppose the format that a 12 team plus league wants to use for their championship game.
    One conference....one championship game at the home field of # 1 vs # 2 or if 1 has beaten 2 could they play #3?
    The conference only approach allows you to play every conference member over four years. The way it ought to be.
    Divisions were ok with 12 teams but not 14.

Quote Originally Posted by 133304Hokie View Post
    If we want to still have a championship game we do. NCAA rules state that you can only have a championship game if you have 2 divisions.

Quote Originally Posted by 133193Hokie View Post
    Why is he taking direction from the coaches? I thought he reported to the university presidents and/or ADs. He needs to show some leadership and do what is right for the entire conference and not what coach screams the loudest. Show some dang leadership !!!
    Yep,FSU's been screaming the loudest and they've been hooked up. And of course, UNC needn't say a thing, they'll get theirs out of the league offices as long as things remain as they are.

actually folks might consider that VT likes the schedule proposed. If they are playing Ohio State or Michigan they dont want to play FSU or Clemson in the same year (much less ND). What I saw in the VT schedule ohio state series wake and state, wisconsin ND or Clemson (now thats tough) 18 FSU no prime Non ACC team schedule or 19 ND home no prime non-ACC team. Mich series wake

Looks like assuring 10 game seasons