Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

This is the best proposal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    I would LOVE this for VT. But I think it unwise on the large scale to have the three best football programs (FSU, Clemson, and VT respectively) in the same division.

Here's mine copy/paste from an email I sent to a Hoo friend a while back about this topic:

A Division
    Clemson
    Miami
    Wake
    NC State
    Louisville
    BC
    Virginia Tech

B Division
    Georgia Tech
    Virginia
    UNC
    Duke
    Pitt
    Syracuse
    FSU

Games that need protected in crossovers: UVa-VT, Miami-FSU, Syracuse-BC, UNC-NCSt, Duke-Wake, GT-Clemson...so that makes Pitt-Louisville a permanent rival if you will. BTW, I would play all crossovers early in the season in case there is a rematch in the ACCCG, the said teams won’t be playing each other on back to back weekends.

If we want to also allow UNC-Wake and Duke-NCSt each year, then we go to 9 games.

This plan allows for many of the rivalries to be preserved, and also allows for a division opponent to be in every sub-region (Northeast, Virginia, Ohio River Valley, North Carolina, Cotton Belt, Florida). This is good for recruiting, exposure and maintaining continuity in an expanded footprint.

It also relatively balances out the urban schools. I specifically put Pitt and Miami in separate divisions since I consider it an abomination have to play two teams regularly that play in NFL stadiums.

Two more alternatives to current division:
    1. Switch Clemson and Miami. Or...
    2. Old ACC (w/FSU) vs. New ACC (2003-present additions)

In my opinion most of the enjoyable matchups are already in the other division. In my scheme, with no cross over, we'd play the enjoyable games more often with the north south division.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatSmokieHokie View Post
    I'm with you. The Big East never did VT any favors nor did any of the individual teams. All of the enjoyable conference opponents are in the South and we'd be stuck in the North.

NO THANKS.

P.S. UVA and Wake would pitch an even bigger fit.

No problem with your concept geographically......its just that based upon (FOOTBALL) & the teams in each division --- divisional team power ratings (& accomplishments)---we'd have the duds (in the east) and the studs (except Wake) in the West..... And I just don't think that each division's strengths or ratings will ever "eventually balance out" in the long run....I don't see Clemson, FSU, Pitt, Nor Louisville dropping down anytime soon. In fact, I think both PITT & Louisville will get much stronger & Va Tech (particularly ---- based upon last year & the frequently mentioned future change in VT head coach w/in 4-5 yrs ) & Wake will likely be the bridesmaids in the West.

how about the every other state method (with crossover rivals as listed):

ATLANTIC COASTAL
    FSU GT
    Miami dook
    Clemson NCSU
    VT L'ville
    uva UNC
    Pitt Wake
    BC 'cuse

or the "build from rivalries" format:

Virgolina NorSo
    UNC Pitt
    uva 'Cuse
    NCSU L'ville
    dook Miami
    VT GT
    Clemson FSU
    Wake BC

With the Virgolina format, you could theoretically eliminate the need for crossovers unless you want to protect FSU v Clemson. by eliminating the crossovers, you could stay at 8 game schedule and we would play everyone in the NorSo division once every 3.5 years and home/home every 6 or 7 (max).

ie:
    YEAR 1 @FSU 'cuse
    YEAR 2 @BC Miami
    YEAR 3 (@ND) @GT Pitt
    YEAR 4 @L'ville FSU
    YEAR 5 @'cuse BC
    YEAR 6 (ND) @Miami GT
    YEAR 7 @Pitt L'ville

and for the NorSo division teams, knowing that the Virgolina region is an important recruiting area, all 7 NorSo teams would play at least 1 game in the Virgolina region every year and host at least 1 team from that region every year. hell, if FSU and Clemson insist on playing one another, tell them ok, as long as they agree to a 9 game schedule, too. then, using the crossovers as listed above, it would only take 6 years to play every one twice:

(GT is our annual crossover)

YEAR 1 @FSU 'cuse
    YEAR 2 @BC Miami
    YEAR 3 (@ND) @L'ville Pitt
    YEAR 4 @'cuse FSU
    YEAR 5 @Miami BC
    YEAR 6 (ND) @Pitt L'ville

I just made this up for fun, but not i really like my Virgolina idea. thoughts?
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

Maybe I'll polish the writing and send it to Swofford. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by techman View Post
    This is the best proposal.

For those that wanted to be in the SEC should want the higher competition. That's exactly what they were asking for if they wanted to be in the SEC. I do not get the all the Rutgers, Maryland envy of the B1G 10, but I have to admit that B1G 10 East conference is SEC like in my mind and a great move that the ACC needs to duplicate.

Quote Originally Posted by dna-vt View Post
    No problem with your concept geographically......its just that based upon (FOOTBALL) & the teams in each division --- divisional team power ratings (& accomplishments)---we'd have the duds (in the east) and the studs (except Wake) in the West..... And I just don't think that each division's strengths or ratings will ever "eventually balance out" in the long run....I don't see Clemson, FSU, Pitt, Nor Louisville dropping down anytime soon. In fact, I think both PITT & Louisville will get much stronger & Va Tech (particularly ---- based upon last year & the frequently mentioned future change in VT head coach w/in 4-5 yrs ) & Wake will likely be the bridesmaids in the West.

The SEC West has how many of the *National Championships? The new B1G 10 East has how many of their top teams? I know you said you would love it, but if the ACC wants to be in the spot light like those two conferences...maybe they should learn something from them.

*SEC West has won 75% of the Football National Championships in the conference the last 10 years.

I would LOVE this for VT. But I think it unwise on the large scale to have the three best football programs (FSU, Clemson, and VT respectively) in the same division.

Here's mine copy/paste from an email I sent to a Hoo friend a while back about this topic:

A Division
    Clemson
    Miami
    Wake
    NC State
    Louisville
    BC
    Virginia Tech

B Division
    Georgia Tech
    Virginia
    UNC
    Duke
    Pitt
    Syracuse
    FSU

Games that need protected in crossovers: UVa-VT, Miami-FSU, Syracuse-BC, UNC-NCSt, Duke-Wake, GT-Clemson...so that makes Pitt-Louisville a permanent rival if you will. BTW, I would play all crossovers early in the season in case there is a rematch in the ACCCG, the said teams won’t be playing each other on back to back weekends.

If we want to also allow UNC-Wake and Duke-NCSt each year, then we go to 9 games.

This plan allows for many of the rivalries to be preserved, and also allows for a division opponent to be in every sub-region (Northeast, Virginia, Ohio River Valley, North Carolina, Cotton Belt, Florida). This is good for recruiting, exposure and maintaining continuity in an expanded footprint.

It also relatively balances out the urban schools. I specifically put Pitt and Miami in separate divisions since I consider it an abomination have to play two teams regularly that play in NFL stadiums.

I would swap places with Rutgers. Get to play UMD, PSU, OSU, UM, MSU, and IU every year. Compare that with our current yearly opponents. I wouldn't miss any of them and we would play UVA OOC. I live in DC so playing UMD and PSU would be great along with a couple national powers. I understand that most in southern VA might prefer a more southern flavor to the schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    For those that wanted to be in the SEC should want the higher competition. That's exactly what they were asking for if they wanted to be in the SEC. I do not get the all the Rutgers, Maryland envy of the B1G 10, but I have to admit that B1G 10 East conference is SEC like in my mind and a great move that the ACC needs to duplicate.

This makes a ton of sense. I like your analysis. Easy to. Add the Texas and Indiana regions.

I would LOVE this for VT. But I think it unwise on the large
    scale to have the three best football programs (FSU, Clemson, and VT respectively) in the same division.

A Division
    Clemson
    Miami
    Wake
    NC State
    Louisville
    BC
    Virginia Tech

B Division
    Georgia Tech
    Virginia
    UNC
    Duke
    Pitt
    Syracuse
    FSU

A Division
    Clemson
    Miami
    Wake
    NC State
    Louisville
    BC
    Virginia Tech

B Division
    Georgia Tech
    Virginia
    UNC
    Duke
    Pitt
    Syracuse
    FSU

While more balanced -- and one of the better ones from my point of view. But I doubt this would fly. I'd bet both FSU and Clemson wouldn't want to see their yearly game go away, and I don't see the ACC bigwigs wanting to rock the boat with either school right now.