Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

Here is my answer to the current ACC Divsions and Cross Overs. Do East West instead

of North South like both the SEC and now the B1G have gone to in their conferences.

East
    UVa, Duke, Miami, UNC, BC, Syracuse, NCSU

West
    VT, Wake, FSU, Clemson, GT, Pitt, Louisville

The Cross Overs are under each other, but just in case they don't line up in the post.

Cross Overs

UVa versus VT, Duke versus Wake, Miami versus FSU, Clemson versus UNC, GT versus BC (direct and inexpensive flight for both), Syracuse versus Pitt and NCSU versus Louisville.

Okay go ahead and criticize, but you have to come up with something better and be able to take criticism back.

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    of North South like both the SEC and now the B1G have gone to in their conferences.

East
    UVa, Duke, Miami, UNC, BC, Syracuse, NCSU

West
    VT, Wake, FSU, Clemson, GT, Pitt, Louisville

The Cross Overs are under each other, but just in case they don't line up in the post.

Cross Overs

UVa versus VT, Duke versus Wake, Miami versus FSU, Clemson versus UNC, GT versus BC (direct and inexpensive flight for both), Syracuse versus Pitt and NCSU versus Louisville.

Okay go ahead and criticize, but you have to come up with something better and be able to take criticism back.
    well, since you asked...

my issues with this are:

1. imbalance - the East is very weak compared to the West, but i'm ok with that, so it's not a show stopper for me
    2. NCSU rivalry with Clemson is broken up, but that is easily corrected with cross over changes

i would tweak it like:

EAST : WEST
    uva : VT
    dook : Wake
    Miami : FSU
    UNC : GT
    'Cuse : Pitt
    BC : L'ville
    NCSU : Clemson

I think this preserves all key annual rivalries and makes for a great schedule year in and year out for ESPN. i also think this will allow schools like UNC, Miami, and NCSU to win more and grow their programs to eventually balance out the strength of the divisions.

Call Swofford.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

I could live with that version, but I like mine a lttile better. The SEC West and the new B1G 10 East divisions carries or will carry that conference, but that will cycle since the SEC East with Florida, Tennessee and Georgia to some degree use to rule the SEC...it's about the coaches. In the mean time, I will see if I can get John on the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    well, since you asked...

my issues with this are:

1. imbalance - the East is very weak compared to the West, but i'm ok with that, so it's not a show stopper for me
    2. NCSU rivalry with Clemson is broken up, but that is easily corrected with cross over changes

i would tweak it like:

I think this preserves all key annual rivalries and makes for a great schedule year in and year out for ESPN. i also think this will allow schools like UNC, Miami, and NCSU to win more and grow their programs to eventually balance out the strength of the divisions.

Call Swofford.

I'd divide the conference north and south. North = BC, Syra, Pitt, UL, VT, UVA & WF. South = NCSU, UNC, Duke, Clemson, GT, FSU, Miami.

I would also eliminate all cross over games. If two teams from opposite divisions had the absolute hots to play each other every year, they could scheudule them as OOC games.

Without permanent cross over games, I figure every team in one division would play every team in the other division home and home at the minimum every 8 years, which is way more than will happen now. And if the conference goes to a 9 game conference game schedule, it will be even fewer years between home and homes with the other division.

I realize we're in what amounts to the old BE, but so be it. The ACC of today is not the ACC of our fathers and grandfathers. Most of the "football" schools are still in the south division, but that's the case now. I know we're in the same divsion as BC, but we have to play them every year now anyway, so what difference does it make?

I put Wake in the north because someone from NC had to be in the north, and they are not far from Tech, and we share a Bio Medical Engineering School with Wake.

well, since you asked...

my issues with this are:

i would tweak it like:

Call Swofford.

Yea on the chances to make the ACC Championship...yuck on the regular season. I am okay with some of the old Big East teams, but that's too many during the regular season for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlee Hokie View Post
    I'd divide the conference north and south. North = BC, Syra, Pitt, UL, VT, UVA & WF. South = NCSU, UNC, Duke, Clemson, GT, FSU, Miami.

I would also eliminate all cross over games. If two teams from opposite divisions had the absolute hots to play each other every year, they could scheudule them as OOC games.

Without permanent cross over games, I figure every team in one division would play every team in the other division home and home at the minimum every 8 years, which is way more than will happen now. And if the conference goes to a 9 game conference game schedule, it will be even fewer years between home and homes with the other division.

I realize we're in what amounts to the old BE, but so be it. The ACC of today is not the ACC of our fathers and grandfathers. Most of the "football" schools are still in the south division, but that's the case now. I know we're in the same divsion as BC, but we have to play them every year now anyway, so what difference does it make?

I put Wake in the north because someone from NC had to be in the north, and they are not far from Tech, and we share a Bio Medical Engineering School with Wake.

East West
    UVa VT
    Duke Wake
    Miami FSU
    UNC Clemson
    BC GT
    Syracuse Pitt
    NCSU Louisville

Just because I love the New TSLTM Table feature.
    *.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. *.*.*.*.*.*

I just wish we would STOP with the zone blocking read option crap and line up in the I, put a hat on a hat and run the tailback behind the fullback through a designated gosh-danged hole. There is NO REASON why this program shouldn't be able to find 5 fat guys who can move some people out of the way and clear a lane for a back to get through!

I'm with you. The Big East never did VT any favors nor did any of the individual teams. All of the enjoyable conference opponents are in the South and we'd be stuck in the North.

NO THANKS.

P.S. UVA and Wake would pitch an even bigger fit.

Yea on the chances to make the ACC Championship...yuck on the regular season. I am okay with some of the old Big East teams, but that's too many during the regular season for me.

How about this?

South Pod
    Mid Pod A
    Mid Pod B
    North Pod
    Miami North Carolina Virginia Boston College
    Florida State NC State Virginia Tech Pittsburgh
    Clemson Duke Wake Forest Syracuse
    Georgia Tech Louisville

You rotate the two Mid Pods so they play in the same division as the South Pod for two years and then they play in the same division as the North Pod two years. That's 6 conference games within your division each year. The other two conference games (assuming we stay at 8 conference games) would be filled out so that the two Mid Pods crossover on a rotating basis (we would play each team in MPA home and away every 3 years) and the North and South pods would crossover on a rotating basis (Miami would play each North pod team home and away every 4 years).

You do away with the permanent crossovers, so the only teams you play every year are in your pod, but you play everybody at a minimum twice (home and away) every four years.

I just wish we would STOP with the zone blocking read option crap and line up in the I, put a hat on a hat and run the tailback behind the fullback through a designated gosh-danged hole. There is NO REASON why this program shouldn't be able to find 5 fat guys who can move some people out of the way and clear a lane for a back to get through!

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie CPA View Post
    How about this?

South Pod
    Mid Pod A
    Mid Pod B
    North Pod
    Miami North Carolina Virginia Boston College
    Florida State NC State Virginia Tech Pittsburgh
    Clemson Duke Wake Forest Syracuse
    Georgia Tech Louisville

You rotate the two Mid Pods so they play in the same division as the South Pod for two years and then they play in the same division as the North Pod two years. That's 6 conference games within your division each year. The other two conference games (assuming we stay at 8 conference games) would be filled out so that the two Mid Pods crossover on a rotating basis (we would play each team in MPA home and away every 3 years) and the North and South pods would crossover on a rotating basis (Miami would play each North pod team home and away every 4 years).

You do away with the permanent crossovers, so the only teams you play every year are in your pod, but you play everybody at a minimum twice (home and away) every four years.
    i like the concept, but i get frustrated when people downplay (or ignore) the importance of rivalries in college football. uva-unc is the oldest rivalry in the south. sure, it's not important nationally, but regional rivalries are what make college football great. you have to find a way to preserve all of these games on an annual basis. you can salvage this within your format by using the 2 non-division games as flex games rather than any fixed rotation or format. in years rivals aren't in the same division, you just use one or both of the flex games to address it. for unc-uva and dook-wake in your example, they would always have to use one of the flex games. nc state and clemson would have to use a flex game 2 out of every 4 years. any unused flex games can be used to either play made for TV matchups in the league or match up teams who have gone more than 2 years without playing.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

i like the concept, but i get frustrated when people downplay (or ignore) the importance of rivalries in college football. uva-unc is the oldest rivalry in the south. sure, it's not important nationally, but regional rivalries are what make college football great. you have to find a way to preserve all of these games on an annual basis. you can salvage this within your format by using the 2 non-division games as flex games rather than any fixed rotation or format. in years rivals aren't in the same division, you just use one or both of the flex games to address it. for unc-uva and dook-wake in your example, they would always have to use one of the flex games. nc state and clemson would have to use a flex game 2 out of every 4 years. any unused flex games can be used to either play made for TV matchups in the league or match up teams who have gone more than 2 years without playing.
    I'm not downplaying it at all. They would still play each other twice every three years in this scenario. I don't think that's bad at all. I'm trying to maximize the opportunity for the conference to actually schedule like a conference. In fact, every six years you would play everyone in your Pod 6 times and everyone in a four-team pod 3 times. The 8 teams in the four-team pods would play everyone in the three-team pods 3 times, and the 6 teams in the three-team pods would play each of the other three-team pod members 4 times.

Wouldn't it be great to be able to guarantee a recruit they will have the chance to play at least two games, home and away, against EVERYBODY ELSE in the ACC during their 4 years of eligibility? My suggestion guarantees just that.

Virginia Tech Conference Schedules during 4 year cycle:
    Year 1
    Year 2
    Year 3
    Year 4
    vs Virginia at Virginia vs Virginia at Virginia
    at Wake Forest vs Wake Forest at Wake Forest vs Wake Forest
    vs Miami at Miami vs Boston Coll. at Boston Coll.
    at Florida State vs Florida State at Pittsburgh vs Pittsburgh
    vs Clemson at Clemson vs Syracuse at Syracuse
    at Georgia Tech vs Georgia Tech at Louisville vs Louisville
    vs North Carolina at Duke vs Duke at NC State
    at NC State vs NC State at North Carolina vs North Carolina

What we have now is atrocious in that some games won't get played at all in a given decade. We may as well not even call ourselves conference-mates with Florida State or Clemson as infrequently as we'll see them.
    Last edited by Hokie CPA; Sat Jun 08 2013 at 05:59 PM.