Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Interesting information re: ESPN and carriage fees...

Just had a conversation with my cable company. Asked about ESPN3 (we don't get it), and after a bit of chit chat about ESPN, she told me that the current negotiations are that ESPN is trying to go to a premium model a la HBO. Right now, they're trying to get $25 in a premium tier.

Not gonna get into a long-winded analysis of this, because I'm on my phone. But I can only imagine that this is due to declining cable subscriber numbers, and that they think they can make more money as a premium channel bundle. I wonder what the implications are for the conference network models.

I'll let y'all talk this out.

opcorn:
    No trees were harmed in the making of this post. However, billions of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddyburg Hokie View Post
    Just had a conversation with my cable company. Asked about ESPN3 (we don't get it), and after a bit of chit chat about ESPN, she told me that the current negotiations are that ESPN is trying to go to a premium model a la HBO. Right now, they're trying to get $25 in a premium tier.

Not gonna get into a long-winded analysis of this, because I'm on my phone. But I can only imagine that this is due to declining cable subscriber numbers, and that they think they can make more money as a premium channel bundle. I wonder what the implications are for the conference network models.
    I think the movement to a pay to watch model is behind much of the expansion. Contrary to the opinion of some, I see the need for conferences to expand in order to compete in a market where your conference must reach a larger population in order to sell content. If all the networks and conferences begin charging for access to programming then the potential market size will drastically impact the sales numbers.

Could that potentially mean commercial-free games?

If you had to pay for a premium channel and still had to sit through the endless stream of commercials, forget it. It would be nice to see the length of games shortened. All of the commercial down-time when you are at a live game is starting to affect my enjoyment.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Dub View Post
    If you had to pay for a premium channel and still had to sit through the endless stream of commercials, forget it. It would be nice to see the length of games shortened. All of the commercial down-time when you are at a live game is starting to affect my enjoyment.
    If this happens, it wouldn't surprise me to see it start as "Limited Commercials". And then a few years later, more get added, then more and so on, all in the name of "we need more advertising to keep the price down for the consumer" hoping that everyone forgets that they (in theory) pitched it originally as a premium channel because they were going to reduce commercials.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Dub View Post
    i'm pretty sure people said the same thing in the 70's and 80's RE: cable/satellite. "if i have to pay for TV, there had better not be any commercials!" how'd that work out?
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

To boot, sports / live TV ads bring in more revenue than prerecorded content.

Eventually ratings will mater again. That's why if the ACC can get their coaching back, they are positioned to be in good shape. How many years did it take for Alabama to dominate like they did in the Bear era? I know Gene Stallings got a NC, but one doesn't make him Bear or Saban.

Answer: Decades between Bear and Saban, but these things run in cycles.

opcorn:

opcorn:
    It's hard for me to imagine ESPN ever being able to successfully go to a premium channel status like HBO. They would have to charge at least $25-$35/month for it. I'm just not sure there are enough sports fans willing to pay that much.

Quote Originally Posted by 133304Hokie View Post
    It's hard for me to imagine ESPN ever being able to successfully go to a premium channel status like HBO. They would have to charge at least $25-$35/month for it. I'm just not sure there are enough sports fans willing to pay that much.
    College football, for 6 months out of the year...then drop it like a hot potato.
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

More than a few people would do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post
    College football, for 6 months out of the year...then drop it like a hot potato.