Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

If you're going by gross family income per capita, not only is MD #1...

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4vt View Post
    It's the wealthiest state in the US, something's working well there.
    but NJ is #3. And if you average all the States that make up their respective conferences, the B1G is #2 behind the PAC-12 in per capita wealth. Before the B1G took MD and NJ and the ACC lost MD and replaced them with Kentucky, the ACC was #2 in average gross income per capita behind the PAC-12. So if you look at this from an individual State's wealth perspective, Jim Delaney made a smart move (if State wealth really equals conference success).

By contrast, the SEC is dead last (per the big-time conferences) in per capita family income when averaged. The Big XII is second to last. Those 2 conferences have fielded the best football programs over the past decade and probably make the most football money.

But if it matters, the ACC States are #1 in GDP with the B1G at #2. Quite honestly, I think conference success is based on success on the field, fan following and National appeal. Both the ACC and B1G lag far behind the SEC and even the Big XII in this respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    Southern Virginians think the South ends once you cross north of Fredericksburg and the Rappahannock River.
    Are you saying that's not true?

Southern Virginians think the South ends once you cross north of Fredericksburg and the Rappahannock River.
    Northern Virginians will tell you the North ends once you cross south of the Occoquan River

Quote Originally Posted by Byting Gobbler View Post
    Are you saying that's not true?
    No. I don't consider Fairfax, Arlington, Loudon, and Prince William counties to be that "Southern" anymore. Maybe someone from the Northeast would say they were. I guess it all depends where you come from. Some people in the deep South think Virginia isn't too southern anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by SuwaneeHokie820 View Post
    Northern Virginians will tell you the North ends once you cross south of the Occoquan River
    The thing with Northern Virginia is it continues to expand southward. Maybe in another 10 to 20 years Stafford and Spotsylvania counties won't be as southern anymore? It wasn't that long ago when Prince William and Loudon counties were rural and southern in nature. Everyone seems to have an opinion where the South begins in Virginia.

College Football in the South vs. North

http://www.motogrrl.com/humor/football.html

Well, if being "southern" is somehow significant, most southerners think the south ends somewhere north of Charlotte.

Anything north of the carolinas isn't really southern to folks from SC, TN, GA, AL, MS, and LA.

KY may get a pass for all the bourbon.

I think Bama fans think the south ends at their northern border...lol

Quote Originally Posted by crabcake77 View Post
    Well, if being "southern" is somehow significant, most southerners think the south ends somewhere north of Charlotte.

Anything north of the carolinas isn't really southern to folks from SC, TN, GA, AL, MS, and LA.

KY may get a pass for all the bourbon.
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

ND has had a huge say in ACC Expansion and their administration likes BC. You don't have to believe it, but it is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlee Hokie View Post
    I do not believe Fredo had anything to do with bringing ND to the ACC for all sports except football and ice hockey. In other words, if Fredo wasn't in the ACC this past year, it would not have stopped ND from coming to the ACC.

I agree that Miami used Fredo as a stalking horse in it's exploration of moving to the ACC. However, by the time the votes were taken and the invites made, Miami had burnt way too many bridges in the BE to be able to stay there, whether or not Fredo was every invited.

If you remember, only Tech and Miami were voted in in June. Fredo's invite was vetoed by NCSU. Well Tech had accepted before the final vote was cast. However, the dwarf of Coral Gables threw a semi hissy, stamped her feet a little, and said Miami would have to thank about accepting since Fredo was rejected. Well, Miami pouted over the weekend, and then accepted. Fredo wasn't invited in until July, which is why they had to spend a 2nd lame duck year in the BE.

Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    I thought you guys on the CR board would find this interesting. Apparently Jim Delaney was at Rutgers today and didn't feel any excitement there about the Big Ten. Wait until he goes to Maryland where over half of them still want to be in the ACC. I found this amusing.

Here's a link to it: http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/in..._river_default
    The day it was first announced, I stated that the Big Ten would ultimately rue the day that they decided to water down their product with two eastern schools that nobody in the Big 10 cares about and that don't care a whit about the Big 10. I've heard or read nothing since then that would cause me to think otherwise.