Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Jim Delaney is puzzled by the lack of enthusiasm for the Big Ten at Rutgers

I thought you guys on the CR board would find this interesting. Apparently Jim Delaney was at Rutgers today and didn't feel any excitement there about the Big Ten. Wait until he goes to Maryland where over half of them still want to be in the ACC. I found this amusing.

Here's a link to it: http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/in..._river_default

Maybe he should come to this board and he will fell better about it. (TIC) I know most here don't feel that way, but you know the vocal few and how they can dominate through repetition.

Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    I thought you guys on the CR board would find this interesting. Apparently Jim Delaney was at Rutgers today and didn't feel any excitement there about the Big Ten. Wait until he goes to Maryland where over half of them still want to be in the ACC. I found this amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post

I don't feel much excitement here in Maryland for the Terps move to the Big 10. Then again, from reading the message boards, I don't see much excitement from Pitt and Syracuse fans either. They are just happy to be out of the Big East and not playing in the AAC. On the other hand, Louisville fans seem very happy to be joining the ACC. They say more positive things about the ACC than we do. They can't wait to be a member.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    I don't feel much excitement here in Maryland for the Terps move to the Big 10. Then again, from reading the message boards, I don't see much excitement from Pitt and Syracuse fans either. They are just happy to be out of the Big East and not playing in the AAC. On the other hand, Louisville fans seem very happy to be joining the ACC. They say more positive things about the ACC than we do. They can't wait to be a member.
    Louisville is thrilled, but for them it's much more than just athletics. Just by being in the ACC their academic reputation will rise, and that is probably just as valuable to them as athletics is.

Big market, low enthusiasm. Kinda like BC. Shoulda went after FSU or VT

Quote Originally Posted by 133304Hokie View Post
    Louisville is thrilled, but for them it's much more than just athletics. Just by being in the ACC their academic reputation will rise, and that is probably just as valuable to them as athletics is.
    No doubt for anyone coming to the ACC. The ACC has 9 schools in the top 40 academically. The Big Ten has 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    Big market, low enthusiasm. Kinda like BC. Shoulda went after FSU or VT
    Yep, these conference leaders fail to realize the importance of "fans." Actual fans are the most important thing. Rutgers has millions of potential fans in NYC, but they haven't
    been able to regularly sell out their stadium ever. Same exact thing goes for Maryland and BC.

There is a certain amount of hubris in all of these major conference commissioners. They are all chasing more TV dollars, and will do just about anything to accomplish it. What they all assume, because they believe down to their very souls, that any school's fans will be beside themselves in joy to join such a prestigious conference.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4vt View Post
    Yep, these conference leaders fail to realize the importance of "fans." Actual fans are the most important thing. Rutgers has millions of potential fans in NYC, but they haven't
    been able to regularly sell out their stadium ever. Same exact thing goes for Maryland and BC.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    That excitement will come in the near future after they start playing in the conference. They'll obviously miss some of their old rivalries, but they'll be thrilled to be there when it's all said and done. Just like Cuse and Pitt will be to be in the ACC.
    "Knowledge is good"

--Emil Faber, 1904

Quote Originally Posted by reestuart View Post
    That excitement will come in the near future after they start playing in the conference. They'll obviously miss some of their old rivalries, but they'll be thrilled to be there when it's all said and done. Just like Cuse and Pitt will be to be in the ACC.
    Correct. it will take a couple of years.