Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Has anyone looked at the American Athletic Conference website?

http://theamerican.org/

In case you don't want to bother clicking on the link, the conference's motto is:

"STRONG. STABLE. UNITED. COMPETITIVE."

They do realize that 2 of their members are leaving for other conferences after the first year don't they? I almost thought this was a joke when I first saw it, but sadly I don't think it is.

Quote Originally Posted by 133304Hokie View Post

In case you don't want to bother clicking on the link, the conference's motto is:

They do realize that 2 of their members are leaving for other conferences after the first year don't they? I almost thought this was a joke when I first saw it, but sadly I don't think it is.
    that's funny! the initials of their motto spell SSUC. Interesting way to spell SUCK. Did they not see that? They could have used those same initials for the conference name. Strong Stable United Conference.

I looked... something about curiosity and train wrecks...

But, honestly, what do you expect them to do? Their goal #1 is to change the perception of the league from how they were formed (a.k.a the "leftovers") to something worth watching. To fans of schools in stable conferences, I am sure there will be plenty of days to turn up our noses and ridicule them. But this is the new reality for schools like UConn and Cincy and Houston, et al.

I choose not to laugh and ridicule. I do look on in something of a morbid fascination. There but for the grace of God...

I wish them luck, as long as they their members don't knock VT out of an at large "BCS 2.0" bowl bid and their conference forms no tie ins with ACC bowls

I still think their name should be American Athletic Association so that they can be "Triple A Football: Hopefully just a stop before the big leagues"

Quote Originally Posted by gman86 View Post
    I looked... something about curiosity and train wrecks...

But, honestly, what do you expect them to do? Their goal #1 is to change the perception of the league from how they were formed (a.k.a the "leftovers") to something worth watching. To fans of schools in stable conferences, I am sure there will be plenty of days to turn up our noses and ridicule them. But this is the new reality for schools like UConn and Cincy and Houston, et al.

I choose not to laugh and ridicule. I do look on in something of a morbid fascination. There but for the grace of God...

I wish them luck, as long as they their members don't knock VT out of an at large "BCS 2.0" bowl bid and their conference forms no tie ins with ACC bowls
    You're right but you're also not much fun.

That's about as funny as "Leaders" and "Legends". And they are 0 for 4 on the motto.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie 1986 View Post
    That's about as funny as "Leaders" and "Legends". And they are 0 for 4 on the motto.
    Weren't those B1G titles retired?

"Strong & United" would have been enough.

Quote Originally Posted by laphroaig View Post
    You're right but you're also not much fun.
    Yeah, my wife says that all the time. Should I be concerned?

Quote Originally Posted by IAHokie View Post
    "Strong & United" would have been enough.
    Maybe they should have used footnotes...

Footnote for STABLE: "After 2014 when two more teams bolt"
    Footnote for COMPETITIVE: "Among each other for spots in another conference"