Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27
  1. #11
    BUGGZY's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15, 2002
    Location
    Annandale, VA
    Posts
    13,709
    Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    Can we just stop with the BC nonsense? BC is a terrible home opponent. I have friends that own a B&B in Blacksburg, and they say BC, Duke, and our usual OOC cupcakes, are always the easiest weekends to get lodging. The last BC game in Lane was a snooze-fest, and I imagine the next one will be too. If BC's own alumni and fans don't care about their football team, don't expect Hokie Club members to give a hoot.

    I understand that BC has become an easy out and will help pile up wins, but they're a boring opponent. The only two less interesting opponents in the new ACC are Duke and Wake (maybe Syracuse). You might get lucky and time a BC away game with a business trip and maybe even a Sox game to form the trifecta, but how often does that happen? Nobody will argue that Boston isn't a great road trip, but I think we all know that Hokies don't exactly flood Chestnut Hill.

    Matt Ryan is well into an NFL career and is not coming back. Let's just accept that we have a terrible crossover opponent and move on.
    maybe we should try to make the BC game at Lane a Thursday night game every year they come to the 'burg. afterall, out of town alumni don't want to travel to see BC, they find it difficult to travel with 2 days off work for Thursday night games, and it feels like a "made for (thursday night) TV" game anyway. we'll still have a 90% full house and a rowdy student section for a Thursday night game anyway. seems like a win-win solution to me...
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

  2. #12

    Join Date
    January 01, 2005
    Posts
    559
    Interesting.

    Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    maybe we should try to make the BC game at Lane a Thursday night game every year they come to the 'burg. afterall, out of town alumni don't want to travel to see BC, they find it difficult to travel with 2 days off work for Thursday night games, and it feels like a "made for (thursday night) TV" game anyway. we'll still have a 90% full house and a rowdy student section for a Thursday night game anyway. seems like a win-win solution to me...

  3. #13
    hokiebob01's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 01, 2001
    Location
    Mint Hill, NC
    Posts
    14,525
    I assume that was TIC. Unless or until Matt Ryan's reincarnation takes over at BC, ESPN will not have any interest in making that a Thursday night game. It is more likley to be a nooner on the ACC Network (Raycom).

    Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    maybe we should try to make the BC game at Lane a Thursday night game every year they come to the 'burg. afterall, out of town alumni don't want to travel to see BC, they find it difficult to travel with 2 days off work for Thursday night games, and it feels like a "made for (thursday night) TV" game anyway. we'll still have a 90% full house and a rowdy student section for a Thursday night game anyway. seems like a win-win solution to me...
    I don't always talk to UVa Grads but when I do I always order the Large Fries.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    October 08, 1999
    Posts
    820
    Yes we have had some good games with BC in the past. However, we have nothing in common with them other than we have to play them too frequently. Scheduling for all teams would get better and there would much higher fan interest if the top five conferences and ND would all agree to just play each other. A 65 team league with 5 divisions. Do not play teams from the AAC, MWC, CUSA, FCS, etc. We would all be in the same boat. Scheduling just these teams will help offset the boring games with BC, Duke, WF, etc. The national champion will likely have 1-3 losses on any given year.



    Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    imagining some really important and many times close games?

    Can somebody name some of them?

  5. #15
    BUGGZY's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15, 2002
    Location
    Annandale, VA
    Posts
    13,709
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiebob01 View Post
    I assume that was TIC. Unless or until Matt Ryan's reincarnation takes over at BC, ESPN will not have any interest in making that a Thursday night game. It is more likley to be a nooner on the ACC Network (Raycom).
    have you seen ESPN's Thursday night game schedule? VT v BC at Lane fits right in.

    2013:

    Ole Miss @ Vandy
    TCU @ TT
    Clemson @ NCSU
    VT @ GT
    tu @ ISU
    Rutgers @ L'ville
    Miami @ UNC
    UK @ Miss St
    USF @ Houston
    ASU @ WSU
    Oregon @ Stanford
    GT @ Clemson
    Rutgers @ UCF
    Ole Miss @ Miss St
    L'ville @ Cincy
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

  6. #16

    Join Date
    October 07, 1999
    Posts
    1,311
    Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    have you seen ESPN's Thursday night game schedule? VT v BC at Lane fits right in.

    2013:

    Ole Miss @ Vandy
    TCU @ TT
    Clemson @ NCSU
    VT @ GT
    tu @ ISU
    Rutgers @ L'ville
    Miami @ UNC
    UK @ Miss St
    USF @ Houston
    ASU @ WSU
    Oregon @ Stanford
    GT @ Clemson
    Rutgers @ UCF
    Ole Miss @ Miss St
    L'ville @ Cincy
    Good point. Looks to me like the ACC gives away too many compelling games to Thursday nights.
    VT @ GT - usually decides the Coastal division
    GT @ Clemson - usually a very entertaining game between two good teams
    Miami @ UNC - matches the best two teams from the Coastal last year (cheater vs. cheater)
    Clemson @ NCSU - solid Atlantic division matchup
    (Add to that, the FSU @ VT game last year was a big game when scheduled!)

    By contrast, the SEC games are crap: Ole Miss @ Vandy? UK @ MSU? The Egg bowl has some interest but still... no FLA, BAMA, TENN, AUB, GA, aTm, LSU. I guess USC has risen above these games now too.

    The Big East may also be giving up some of their better inventory with heavy doses of L'ville and Rutgers, but they are in a different situation.

    The only other MUST SEE game is the Pac-10: Oregon @ Stanford.

    Maybe if the ACC kept some of their better matchups for Saturdays, we could have a better presence?

  7. #17

    Join Date
    October 07, 1999
    Posts
    2,946
    Quote Originally Posted by gman86 View Post
    Good point. Looks to me like the ACC gives away too many compelling games to Thursday nights.
    VT @ GT - usually decides the Coastal division
    GT @ Clemson - usually a very entertaining game between two good teams
    Miami @ UNC - matches the best two teams from the Coastal last year (cheater vs. cheater)
    Clemson @ NCSU - solid Atlantic division matchup
    (Add to that, the FSU @ VT game last year was a big game when scheduled!)

    By contrast, the SEC games are crap: Ole Miss @ Vandy? UK @ MSU? The Egg bowl has some interest but still... no FLA, BAMA, TENN, AUB, GA, aTm, LSU. I guess USC has risen above these games now too.

    The Big East may also be giving up some of their better inventory with heavy doses of L'ville and Rutgers, but they are in a different situation.

    The only other MUST SEE game is the Pac-10: Oregon @ Stanford.

    Maybe if the ACC kept some of their better matchups for Saturdays, we could have a better presence?
    The ACC/ESPN has to schedule "big" ACC games on Thursday nights. That's what ESPN is paying the bucks for. Otherwis,e the conference gets little to no exposure nationally. FSU-Clemson is the only ACC conference game that moves the meter nationally these days. FSU-Miami could but hasn't been in a feature slot. Otherwise, it's noon and 3:30 kicks for the ACC.

  8. #18
    Old Line Hokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 05, 2001
    Location
    3659′36″N 7813′30″W
    Posts
    3,481
    Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    Can we just stop with the BC nonsense? BC is a terrible home opponent. I have friends that own a B&B in Blacksburg, and they say BC, Duke, and our usual OOC cupcakes, are always the easiest weekends to get lodging. The last BC game in Lane was a snooze-fest, and I imagine the next one will be too. If BC's own alumni and fans don't care about their football team, don't expect Hokie Club members to give a hoot.

    I understand that BC has become an easy out and will help pile up wins, but they're a boring opponent. The only two less interesting opponents in the new ACC are Duke and Wake (maybe Syracuse). You might get lucky and time a BC away game with a business trip and maybe even a Sox game to form the trifecta, but how often does that happen? Nobody will argue that Boston isn't a great road trip, but I think we all know that Hokies don't exactly flood Chestnut Hill.

    Matt Ryan is well into an NFL career and is not coming back. Let's just accept that we have a terrible crossover opponent and move on.
    IMHO, the best games that Tech has played since joining the ACC have been against UNC, Miami, GA Tech, NC State, and FSU. UVa is a rivalry game but it's lost a lot of is luster the past few years. I think last year's game had to be close to the all-time low in the rivalry. Everyone likes to play Clemson because of who they are but most of our games with them have been blowouts (1999 W 37-0, 2000 W 41-20, '06 W 24-7, '07 W 41-23, '11 L 23-3, '11 L 38-10, and '12 L 38-17.) I would have to say that the BC series has been more competitive. Wake, Duke, and Maryland have never beaten us so there's little interest in those match-ups. I wish Tech could play NC State more. All those games were good contests. Bringing in Pitt should give us another interesting series since Pitt seems to have our number. BC isn't my choice for cross rival and they don't always have the best teams, but they have given us better games than 4 or 5 of the other ACC opponents. To me, BC is just average.

  9. #19

    Join Date
    January 01, 2005
    Posts
    6,467
    Quote Originally Posted by crabcake77 View Post
    Agreed. Trying to play up BC comes across like claiming the emporer has clothes.
    I'm not playing up anything. I'd rather play BC than Duke, Wake Or Syracuse every year. It's a cheap easy flight and a great place to visit. Half of this board would be crying the blues if we had to play FSU every year. While I would like to play Clemson and FSU every year it's harder or more expensive to get to those schools.

  10. #20

    Join Date
    February 16, 2001
    Posts
    14,845
    Maybe to you it is nonsense, but hopefully you are not so close minded that you can't see another point of view. While I could pick some other cross over opponents over them, I think many of the games have been competitive and some had some big consequences on VT's season.

    Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    Can we just stop with the BC nonsense? BC is a terrible home opponent. I have friends that own a B&B in Blacksburg, and they say BC, Duke, and our usual OOC cupcakes, are always the easiest weekends to get lodging. The last BC game in Lane was a snooze-fest, and I imagine the next one will be too. If BC's own alumni and fans don't care about their football team, don't expect Hokie Club members to give a hoot.

    I understand that BC has become an easy out and will help pile up wins, but they're a boring opponent. The only two less interesting opponents in the new ACC are Duke and Wake (maybe Syracuse). You might get lucky and time a BC away game with a business trip and maybe even a Sox game to form the trifecta, but how often does that happen? Nobody will argue that Boston isn't a great road trip, but I think we all know that Hokies don't exactly flood Chestnut Hill.

    Matt Ryan is well into an NFL career and is not coming back. Let's just accept that we have a terrible crossover opponent and move on.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •