Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Did we not have some of the best games over the last 20 years against BC? Or am I

imagining some really important and many times close games?

Can somebody name some of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post

Here's Tech's Big East and ACC History with Boston College:

BIG EAST (1993-2003): 9-2 (6-0 Away, 3-2 Home)
    ACC (2005-2012): 7-3 (2-2 Away, 3-1 Home, 2-0 ACCCG)

TOTALS (1993-2012): 16-5 (8-2 Away, 6-3 Home, 2-0 ACCCG)

WINNING STREAKS:
    Boston College (2006-regular season 2008) 3 straight wins over Tech.

Virginia Tech (1996-2002) 7 straight wins over BC and (2008 ACCCG-2012) 5 straight wins over BC.

How Tech did in our wins over BC:
    Less than 7 pts. = 2 Wins, 7 to 13 pts. = 2 wins, 14 to 20 pts. = 9 wins, 21 pts.+ = 3 wins. Largest margin of victory was 38 pts. (45-7 at BC) in 1996.

Tech Loses to BC:
    Less than 7 pts. = 3 loses, 7 to 13 pts. = 1 loss, and 13 to 20 pts. = 1 loss. Worst loss 22-3 at BC

While I'm all for playing all the ACC's schools more often, I don't mind playing BC. Besides Miami, it's my favorite road trip. Boston is a great town to visit. I just wish we would not play at Miami and at Boston in the same years especially back to back weekends. It would be much easier to make both trips if they alternated away years.

I remember playing them in the ACC Champ game twice, beating them to go to the Nat Champ game, ugh the Ryan throw back etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    Here's Tech's Big East and ACC History with Boston College:

BIG EAST (1993-2003): 9-2 (6-0 Away, 3-2 Home)
    ACC (2005-2012): 7-3 (2-2 Away, 3-1 Home, 2-0 ACCCG)

TOTALS (1993-2012): 16-5 (8-2 Away, 6-3 Home, 2-0 ACCCG)

WINNING STREAKS:
    Boston College (2006-regular season 2008) 3 straight wins over Tech.

Virginia Tech (1996-2002) 7 straight wins over BC and (2008 ACCCG-2012) 5 straight wins over BC.

How Tech did in our wins over BC:
    Less than 7 pts. = 2 Wins, 7 to 13 pts. = 2 wins, 14 to 20 pts. = 9 wins, 21 pts.+ = 3 wins. Largest margin of victory was 38 pts. (45-7 at BC) in 1996.

Tech Loses to BC:
    Less than 7 pts. = 3 loses, 7 to 13 pts. = 1 loss, and 13 to 20 pts. = 1 loss. Worst loss 22-3 at BC

I remember playing them in the ACC Champ game twice, beating them to go to the Nat Champ game, ugh the Ryan throw back etc.
    I remember some of the loses. The 22-3 game in Chestnut Hill where our offense was MIA. The opening day loss in 1995 (year we beat Texas in Sugar Bowl) and Matt Ryan's 4th quarter heroics in 2007 on Thursday night in Lane. I remember the 2 ACC Championship wins, the 1999 home finale to go 11-0 and play FSU for the BCS Championship, and the Michael Vick Show at BC in 2000 when he rushed for 239 yards/ 3 TD's and had that freakish 82 yd. TD run making the BC defensive backfield look like fools.

LOL I started to write about the 22-3 loss, but some how I got writers block. :-) I would like to see the numbers on how many students we get out of Mass these days...my guess is that it has gone way up from 20 years ago. That has to factor in whether our administration likes playing BC. The Mass kids have high GPA's, high SAT's and pay out of state tuition. All of those things help VT.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    I remember some of the loses. The 22-3 game in Chestnut Hill where our offense was MIA. The opening day loss in 1995 (year we beat Texas in Sugar Bowl) and Matt Ryan's 4th quarter heroics in 2007 on Thursday night in Lane. I remember the 2 ACC Championship wins, the 1999 home finale to go 11-0 and play FSU for the BCS Championship, and the Michael Vick Show at BC in 2000 when he rushed for 239 yards/ 3 TD's and had that freakish 82 yd. TD run making the BC defensive backfield look like fools.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoakie82 View Post
    While I'm all for playing all the ACC's schools more often, I don't mind playing BC. Besides Miami, it's my favorite road trip. Boston is a great town to visit. I just wish we would not play at Miami and at Boston in the same years especially back to back weekends. It would be much easier to make both trips if they alternated away years.
    And the ACC had a chance to fix that this year, but choose to adjust both series' and send us back to both in back to back years.
    Close out recruiting on a good note

Can we just stop with the BC nonsense? BC is a terrible home opponent. I have friends that own a B&B in Blacksburg, and they say BC, Duke, and our usual OOC cupcakes, are always the easiest weekends to get lodging. The last BC game in Lane was a snooze-fest, and I imagine the next one will be too. If BC's own alumni and fans don't care about their football team, don't expect Hokie Club members to give a hoot.

I understand that BC has become an easy out and will help pile up wins, but they're a boring opponent. The only two less interesting opponents in the new ACC are Duke and Wake (maybe Syracuse). You might get lucky and time a BC away game with a business trip and maybe even a Sox game to form the trifecta, but how often does that happen? Nobody will argue that Boston isn't a great road trip, but I think we all know that Hokies don't exactly flood Chestnut Hill.

Matt Ryan is well into an NFL career and is not coming back. Let's just accept that we have a terrible crossover opponent and move on.
    Last edited by lawhokie; Thu Jun 06 2013 at 09:22 AM.

Agreed. Trying to play up BC comes across like claiming the emporer has clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    Can we just stop with the BC nonsense? BC is a terrible home opponent. I have friends that own a B&B in Blacksburg, and they say BC, Duke, and our usual OOC cupcakes, are always the easiest weekends to get lodging. The last BC game in Lane was a snooze-fest, and I imagine the next one will be too. If BC's own alumni and fans don't care about their football team, don't expect Hokie Club members to give a hoot.

I understand that BC has become an easy out and will help pile up wins, but they're a boring opponent. The only two less interesting opponents in the new ACC are Duke and Wake (maybe Syracuse). You might get lucky and time a BC away game with a business trip and maybe even a Sox game to form the trifecta, but how often does that happen? Nobody will argue that Boston isn't a great road trip, but I think we all know that Hokies don't exactly flood Chestnut Hill.

Matt Ryan is well into an NFL career and is not coming back. Let's just accept that we have a terrible crossover opponent and move on.

To be sure, there have been some good games against BC - particularly in the early BE days and then the Matty Ice years in the ACC. With the right coaching, BC is a team that historically can give ND fits and have a an occasional year where they can break Hurricane and Hokie hearts.

The issue I think for VT fans is that BC is an small urban private college in the northeast and VT is a large rural land grant university in the South (ish...)

I have no problem playing BC twice in 12 years like everyone else in the Coastal does. And if they were in the Coastal instead of say... Duke... that would be fine too. But to have BC AND Duke as 25% of your conference schedule every year is too much - especially with the occasional Wake and Cuse thrown in.

We see lots of larger universities we would rather be playing more often - like FSU, Clemson, NC State and even scum-of-the-earth Lousiville (who not long ago was vermin to VT fans, yet now when it serves our purposes seems to be welcomed like a long lost brother, LOL!)

VT-BC has never been and never will be a rivalry. And VT fans feel like the ACC should stop treating it as such, just to make scheduling for other schools easier. One or more of the following things needs to happen and VT should work with other schools to raise the issue:

1) The ACC goes to a 9 game schedule. To do this, the ND games will likely need to be counted as conference games. To do that, ND will need to play an even number of games annually with ACC opponents - in other words agree to a 6th game. This won't get rid of the annual VT-BC matchup, but it will allow the other Atlantic teams to hit our schedule every 3 years (like ND) instead of every 6 years.

2) The ACC needs to realign the divisions so that the rivalry crossover game is a real rivalry for EVERY team, not just some teams. This would kill the annual VT-BC game... unless one of the moves is to move BC into the Coastal. The devil is in the details on this one.

3) The ACC could eliminate the rivalry crossover game for the "fake" rivalries. They will need to keep FSU-Miami, Clemson-GT, NCSU-UNC and Wake-Duke. That would at least free up (BC, Cuse, Lousiville) to rotate among (VT, Pitt, Uva). Ehh...

4) Get to 16 and do the pod thing.

Thinking about that... it seems the best and most workable solution is the 9 game schedule. The big conferences are heading there anyway. The ACC already passed it... until changing their mind over the ND games. This needs to be revisited.