Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

We have BC because Miami wanted them to get Mass students to go there & to help get ND. The Presidents look heavily at where their Out of State students come from when voting for a school.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4vt View Post
    We should have taken Pitt or Rutgers instead of BC, obviously.

I se how this works for football, but how about all other sports?

I realize football is driving the bus now but will this format work for all other revenue and non revenue sports

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    We have BC because Miami wanted them to get Mass students to go there & to help get ND. The Presidents look heavily at where their Out of State students come from when voting for a school.
    If that is true, Virginia Tech lost out when Maryland left and Rutgers joined the Big 10 since a majority of Tech's out-of-state students come from those two states. Then again, Tech had lots of students from those 2 states back when I attended Tech in the early to mid 1980's and we were in the Metro for all sports but football. Plus Tech will always get Maryland students because many Marylanders can attend Tech on in-state tuition if UMCP doesn't offer a particular major that Tech does.

I can about guarantee you NJ has far more students at ACC schools than Mass. There's a ton at VT, UVA, Duke, UNC, and Miami. I'm pretty sure there's plenty more Jersey students than Mass. at Miami. Rutgers is a Mid-Atlantic school w/ a ton more alumni, it's much closer geographically than BC, and it's sports could be as good, particularly if they ever got some decent money to work with. They could end up being a force with that B1G cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    If that is true, Virginia Tech lost out when Maryland left and Rutgers joined the Big 10 since a majority of Tech's out-of-state students come from those two states. Then again, Tech had lots of students from those 2 states back when I attended Tech in the early to mid 1980's and we were in the Metro for all sports but football. Plus Tech will always get Maryland students because many Marylanders can attend Tech on in-state tuition if UMCP doesn't offer a particular major that Tech does.
    Duke, UVA, UNC, and Miami have a ton of Jersey kids too.

I don't think it was Mass so much as it was just the northeast. Most of Miami's alumni base (donors) lives in the northeast and doesn't travel to games very often. Miami wanted a guaranteed game in the northeast every other year for their alumni.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4vt View Post
    I can about guarantee you NJ has far more students at ACC schools than Mass. There's a ton at VT, UVA, Duke, UNC, and Miami. I'm pretty sure there's plenty more Jersey students than Mass. at Miami. Rutgers is a Mid-Atlantic school w/ a ton more alumni, it's much closer geographically than BC, and it's sports could be as good, particularly if they ever got some decent money to work with. They could end up being a force with that B1G cash.
    I've always felt Rutsger could be a huge force, since it's the primary state school of NJ. They have a huge population, and if Rutsgers can ever start "cherry picking" the best talent in the state...
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

Fear is a powerful motivator.....

as you so eloquently stated. I agree.

Delany is just that arrogant (along with the other B1G toadies)....

For those that don't believe that the B1G 10 Expansion had anything to do with keeping Penn State check out what Barry Alvarez the current AD at Wisconsin said in this article. Even Delaney said, "but when you look at it, you can't help but think this is good for Penn State as well."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...-nittany-lions
    And quote "he doesn't want to comment on what others are saying about the expansion rationale." That's because it could only be 2 conferences close to grabbing PSU at the time. Pretty sure it must have been the Big East he was "concerned" about.

Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    It would be interesting to know how close Penn State was to considering a move. With all the turmoil there with an interim President and Athletic Director along with the scandal and sanctions, I'm not sure they were prepared to make any moves. But I could be wrong.

Gordon Gee's comments are more disturbing as an ACC fan. The Big Ten sees the rust belt dying and wants to claim the East and Mid-Atlantic as Big Ten country for survival. They want it as well as to block the ACC from having it. They have opened a Big Ten office in Manhattan. They have now added Johns Hopkins, and they have added the Pinstripe bowl in Yankee Stadium. They just had the announcement at Yankee Stadium with representatives from the Big Ten, FOX Sports, and the NY Yankees. They are going to advertise in Yankee Stadium throughout the baseball season, and they are proposing Big Ten regular season football games in Yankee Stadium. They are exploring having the Big Ten basketball tournament in Madison Square Garden and Brooklyn.

I think if the ACC wants to truly be the East Coast Conference, the ACC needs to make some additional moves. I hope the ACC does. The ACC has been quiet since the announcement of the Grant of Rights. I want the ACC to succeed and am bored with the Big Ten.
    The B1G is making it work with Rutgers. Swofford, the ADs and presidents are smart people. I think they can make SU, BC, Pitt and ND work for a NYC draw. You have to ask yourself... do New Yorkers want to see Indiana play Wisconsin or Ohio State play Michigan more than they want to see Syracuse play Duke, Lousiville play ND or UNC play Pitt? Maybe it's a wash... but these people have been wacthing 4 of these schools play in MSG for years (6 if you count Miami and BC... and I'm not going to add Tech to this list). The B1G only has one team with history at MSG and it is Rutgers... not ND, not SU, not Pitt... not even BC. I think Swofford can work this out better than Delany.