Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    For those that don't believe that the B1G 10 Expansion had anything to do with keeping Penn State check out what Barry Alvarez the current AD at Wisconsin said in this article. Even Delaney said, "but when you look at it, you can't help but think this is good for Penn State as well."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...-nittany-lions
    This tells me the ACC miscalculated...again.

We were about two years behind the curve on the GOR and just think of the possibilities if we'd locked up Pitt, Cuse and Rutgers in 2011.

IMHO there will be 4 divisions with 5 teams in them. Oklahoma and Texas will have their own ACC Division of Southern Western/Central teams. As I said above...I am not so sure about inner conference division cross over games since the winners of Divsions will play each other and they don't want rematches. I see more the SEC Northwest Divison playing the ACC Mid-Atlantic division for two years...alternating who gets the home game of course. Then playing everyone in your 5 team Division to win your Division and then you will play another inner conference division championship if you win it.

LOL, did I clear that up?
    If something like this goes down the ACC should take half the Big XII. I think Oklahoma/Oklahoma State are a pair. So we're looking at Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State along with one other to get to 20. That's the bunch that was rumored to be going PAC 12 2 years ago. Then for the last school the ACC could choose between Kansas, Baylor, TCU, or West Virginia. And of course UConn and Cincinnati are still on the table. It's an interesting thought.

While we're at it, 16 team football conference minus Wake/Duke & adding ND, UT, KU, OU.

Division A
    ND
    UT
    OU
    KU
    BC
    Syracuse
    Pitt
    Louisville

Division B
    VT
    UVA
    UNC
    NCSU
    Clemson
    GT
    FSU
    Miami

Only division games count which gives schools flexibility to only have 7 conference games. You could do four team pods in lieu of static divisions.

Quote Originally Posted by hokieball View Post
    So...

NORTH = ND + BC + Pitt + Syracuse + Louisville?
    EAST = VT + UVA + UNC + NC State + Duke?
    SOUTH = WF + Clemson + GT + FSU + Miami?
    WEST = Texas + Oklahoma + 3 more?

I think you are diretionally correct, but I see UConn eventually making it to the ACC and a dark horse is Tulane. Tulane brings a new state, great academics and of course a visit to New Orleans...somthing Hokies know somehting about.

PS I heard ten years ago when VT was fighting to get into the ACC that ND would come full time to ACC football and VT would eventually get in the ACC. I also heard that Navy and Army would be in the top tier, but I don't know how they feel about the stipend that is coming to the top tier. Maybe they could be in for football only, but I am not sure the stipend is a fit for their philosophy and culture. I do know that the ACC wants to be known as the Big Conference Ivy and they needed the threat of losing FSU to get Louisville. I also know that the ACC will help Louisville bring up their academics and now with the latest comments about Louisville from tOSU president...it will probably happen faster.

So...

Thumbs up

So why not 24 instead of 20? Add UConn to the NORTH, WVU to the EAST, and Tulane to the SOUTH. Then bring in Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, + 3 others (OSU, TT, KSU, ISU, Rice??, Baylor...)

I think you are diretionally correct, but I see UConn eventually making it to the ACC and a dark horse is Tulane. Tulane brings a new state, great academics and of course a visit to New Orleans...somthing Hokies know somehting about.

PS I heard ten years ago when VT was fighting to get into the ACC that ND would come full time to ACC football and VT would eventually get in the ACC. I also heard that Navy and Army would be in the top tier, but I don't know how they feel about the stipend that is coming to the top tier. Maybe they could be in for football only, but I am not sure the stipend is a fit for their philosophy and culture. I do know that the ACC wants to be known as the Big Conference Ivy and they needed the threat of losing FSU to get Louisville. I also know that the ACC will help Louisville bring up their academics and now with the latest comments about Louisville from tOSU president...it will probably happen faster.

I think you are going to have 4 divisions of 5 with crossover games with other conference Divsions of 5 during the regular season. The 5 teams in your division will be geographically close rivals (so no problem). The 5 cross over games will be alternating 3 at home and 2 at home and will pack the stadiums IMHO. Even Alabama has seen a slip in regular season fans and they all know that they have to do something to bring the fans back to the stadium. Look at the stands for a NASCAR race these days...they have lost fans in the stadium big time and college football doesn't want to be the next casulty of Big TVs and the Man Cave.
    Do you mean the cross-over games will be with a division in ANOTHER conference?

The ACC should have thought big a decade ago. Should have taken most or all of the football schools when they took Miami/VT/BC.

I was also thinking recently that the B1G, if they were interested in doing it right, should have offered a bunch of ACC schools en bloc. Had they done that, the results might have been different.
    Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    This tells me the ACC miscalculated...again.

We were about two years behind the curve on the GOR and just think of the possibilities if we'd locked up Pitt, Cuse and Rutgers in 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    If something like this goes down the ACC should take half the Big XII. I think Oklahoma/Oklahoma State are a pair. So we're looking at Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State along with one other to get to 20. That's the bunch that was rumored to be going PAC 12 2 years ago. Then for the last school the ACC could choose between Kansas, Baylor, TCU, or West Virginia. And of course UConn and Cincinnati are still on the table. It's an interesting thought.
    i don't think you'll break up KU/K St any faster than OU/Ok St. i think TU could move alone now that aTm has a happy and healthy home of their own, so replace TT with K St. instead of 5 team divisions, just have 5 team scheduling partners who pair with other 5 team groups to form 10 team divisions on a rotating basis:

Group 1:
    BC
    Pitt
    'Cuse
    ND
    L'ville

Group 2:
    VT
    uva
    UNC
    NCSU
    dook

Group 3:
    Wake
    Clemson
    GT
    FSU
    Miami

Group 4:
    Texas
    Oklahoma
    Ok St
    Kansas
    K St

play 9 league scheduled division games that count towards division standing. feel free to schedule an OOC game against any other league school to preserve annual rivalries, etc.

under this format, VT would play uva, UNC, NCSU and dook every year, and play the other 15 ACC schools home and home every 6 years. The league could even break up the home and homes (rotate division lineups every year instead of every other year) to ensure we play everyone at least once every 3 years and that no player ever graduates without facing every other conference member at least once.

dook and wake could schedule each other 4/6 years when they don't share a division. same with Clemson and NCSU, etc. If Clemson really fights this because of their annual USC-e game (essentially giving them 11 pre-determined games 4/6 years), we could swap NCSU and Wake and force UNC and NCSU to play the "extra" OOC game 4/6 years since neither of them has an OOC rival. just saying, within this framework, it could be done.

TT, Baylor, TCU, Iowa St could join the MWC and WVU could go back to the AAC. WVU and the MWC champ would likely be competing for the auto-bid into the access bowls more years than not.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

I'd take Texas and Oklahoma and three anybodies.

Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    But we'll probably have to acknowledge that TTU and Baylor will come along with Texas, because the SEC and B1G aren't going to take on Baylor or TTU as charity cases. Texas may have to protect them. Don't know about TCU. Same for Oklahoma, because the big boy conferences might not see enough value in taking OSU without Oklahoma.

Thus, I think the odds of getting Kansas are long. Duke and UNC would wet their pants if we could, but it seems unlikely. I'm not sure what combination of five B12 schools the ACC could get that would include Kansas. Who knows? But three really good academic schools plus 2 not-so-much is a fair compromise to me.

So...

I see a couple problems with this alignment. First, Winston-Salem is I believe the northern most NC city, so I am not sure it makes a lot of sense to place Wake in the South Division. Second, Clemson and NC State have a "textile" rivalry (play for a trophy in football), so there is a somewhat strong possibility that they would want to be placed in the same division. Depending on what direction the expansion goes, I could easily see a scenario where the ACC could have a "Carolina" Division under your format.