Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    I am not expecting them to leave, but things were serious several months ago. Personally I think the ACC has their eye on another big fish, but the B1G probaly does too. Like I said below to HOO86, it will be interesting to watch the two UNC grads Delany and Swofford have a few more battles.

PS No, the big fish is not ND...they have already choosen their conference.
    i'd have to assume you are talking Texas, but i'm just not seeing them leaving the comfort of their own personal college athletics conference. they would never have the authority they enjoy now in any other league.

option 2 could be Kansas, but that only makes sense for the B1G unless they were part of a larger 3-5 team package for an ACC move.

i know it's not 1995 any more, but i'm not sure any league is capable of keeping 16+ schools happy at home. The WAC was first, then the BigEast. how many examples do we need in order to believe it to be true?

since we're on the conf realignment board, i will throw out that an internal promotion/relegation system in the ACC could be cool, at least for football and basketball. The top 50% of the year prior to beginning go into ACC-A and the rest into ACC-B (for each sport, ie Duke bball could be ACC-A but football would be ACC-B). every year, the bottom 2 from A go down, the top 2 from B move up. it allows mobility within the league and ensures the top teams in each sport are playing each other more. of course, you would still preserve rivalries and play some crossover games for balance, but the standings would be divided into an A squad and a B squad. just a fun thought, and no, i don't think this would make the league any more/less stable than any other division/pod alignment of 16+ schools.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

I am not expecting them to leave, but things were serious several months ago. Personally I think the ACC has their eye on another big fish, but the B1G probaly does too. Like I said below to HOO86, it will be interesting to watch the two UNC grads Delany and Swofford have a few more battles.

PS No, the big fish is not ND...they have already choosen their conference.
    The small fish was in town last weekend and split with us in baseball.

"By the way Tech has recently beaten Oklahoma in women's soccer and wrestling." So we got that going for us and it is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    I heard Oklahoma wants to join the ACC and play in any division with Virginia and Virginia Tech, especially baseball. By the way Tech has recently beaten Oklahoma in women's soccer and wrestling.

There is a lot of division among UMd alums, but not near as much as there would have been if either UNC or UVa left the ACC. I am guessing on this one, but I think UNC and UVa were listening to the B1G mainly to help the ACC know what they said to Maryland. That will help them prevent other teams from leaving and of course help them in the lawsuit. Right now though, I think the battle between the two (ironically) UNC grads Swofford and Delany has a few more rounds to go...including where they will play their conference basketball tournaments. It should be interesting to watch.
    And the Catholic Seven paid how much to keep MSG for their BBall tourney?
    We will quickly see how much juice they really have.
    BCS level college football is a resource war, not a morality play.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    I heard Oklahoma wants to join the ACC and play in any division with Virginia and Virginia Tech, especially baseball. By the way Tech has recently beaten Oklahoma in women's soccer and wrestling.
    I'm seeing this too. But think about it. Oklahoma geographically does not belong in the ACC. Neither does Texas. I know we are chasing the money, but really? Think about the kids. I like the idea of it, but not the implmentation.

What about the travel - would any Big12 team joining he ACC have the same issue that WVU has, except in reverse?

The B1G was crazy if they ever thought that either UVA or UNC would be first movers to leave the ACC. The B1G's top shelf targets were ND, UVA, and UNC with GT, Umd, and VT as acceptable targets. Umd was easy pickings, and they thought that GT was going to be easy pickings, with the hope that those two leaving would cause the ACC to fold up and than they could get their top choices. They may have had better luck going for VT - if the B1G had offered VT along with an offer for an easier path to AAU membership, that would have been tough for VT to turn down. But, their preference was not to have VT and UVA so they went the Umd and GT angle first. Now with the ACC GOR signed, they may have missed the boat - at least for a few years anyway.

I think you are going to have 4 divisions of 5 with crossover games with other conference Divsions of 5 during the regular season. The 5 teams in your division will be geographically close rivals (so no problem). The 5 cross over games will be alternating 3 at home and 2 at home and will pack the stadiums IMHO. Even Alabama has seen a slip in regular season fans and they all know that they have to do something to bring the fans back to the stadium. Look at the stands for a NASCAR race these days...they have lost fans in the stadium big time and college football doesn't want to be the next casulty of Big TVs and the Man Cave.

Quote Originally Posted by 133193Hokie View Post
    What about the travel - would any Big12 team joining he ACC have the same issue that WVU has, except in reverse?

IMHO there will be 4 divisions with 5 teams in them. Oklahoma and Texas will have their own ACC Division of Southern Western/Central teams. As I said above...I am not so sure about inner conference division cross over games since the winners of Divsions will play each other and they don't want rematches. I see more the SEC Northwest Divison playing the ACC Mid-Atlantic division for two years...alternating who gets the home game of course. Then playing everyone in your 5 team Division to win your Division and then you will play another inner conference division championship if you win it.

LOL, did I clear that up?

Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    I'm seeing this too. But think about it. Oklahoma geographically does not belong in the ACC. Neither does Texas. I know we are chasing the money, but really? Think about the kids. I like the idea of it, but not the implmentation.
    Last edited by Stech; Tue Jun 04 2013 at 09:07 AM.

So...

NORTH = ND + BC + Pitt + Syracuse + Louisville?
    EAST = VT + UVA + UNC + NC State + Duke?
    SOUTH = WF + Clemson + GT + FSU + Miami?
    WEST = Texas + Oklahoma + 3 more?

IMHO there will be 4 divisions with 5 teams in them. Oklahoma and Texas will have their own ACC Division of Southern Western/Central teams. As I said above...I am not so sure about inner conference division cross over games since the winners of Divsions will play each other and they don't want rematches. I see more the SEC Northwest Divison playing the ACC Mid-Atlantic division for two years...alternating who gets the home game and of course. Then playing everyone in your 5 team Division to win your Division and then you will play another inner conference division championship if you win it.

LOL, did I clear that up?