Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

"...wouldn't make sense maybe for Penn State to be in our league (B1G)," Alvarez

For those that don't believe that the B1G 10 Expansion had anything to do with keeping Penn State check out what Barry Alvarez the current AD at Wisconsin said in this article. Even Delaney said, "but when you look at it, you can't help but think this is good for Penn State as well."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...-nittany-lions

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    For those that don't believe that the B1G 10 Expansion had anything to do with keeping Penn State check out what Barry Alvarez the current AD at Wisconsin said in this article. Even Delaney said, "but when you look at it, you can't help but think this is good for Penn State as well."

It would be interesting to know how close Penn State was to considering a move. With all the turmoil there with an interim President and Athletic Director along with the scandal and sanctions, I'm not sure they were prepared to make any moves. But I could be wrong.

Gordon Gee's comments are more disturbing as an ACC fan. The Big Ten sees the rust belt dying and wants to claim the East and Mid-Atlantic as Big Ten country for survival. They want it as well as to block the ACC from having it. They have opened a Big Ten office in Manhattan. They have now added Johns Hopkins, and they have added the Pinstripe bowl in Yankee Stadium. They just had the announcement at Yankee Stadium with representatives from the Big Ten, FOX Sports, and the NY Yankees. They are going to advertise in Yankee Stadium throughout the baseball season, and they are proposing Big Ten regular season football games in Yankee Stadium. They are exploring having the Big Ten basketball tournament in Madison Square Garden and Brooklyn.

I think if the ACC wants to truly be the East Coast Conference, the ACC needs to make some additional moves. I hope the ACC does. The ACC has been quiet since the announcement of the Grant of Rights. I want the ACC to succeed and am bored with the Big Ten.

There were very serious conversations, but they could have just been playing poker to get what they wanted out of the B1G 10. As for the B1G they made their move for UNC, UVa, GT and missed. However, it is not a time for the ACC to sit on their hands and I don't think they are doing that in the least. Like Will Steward said a couple of weeks ago, Swofford learned his lesson on keeping things quiet from the 2003 expansion. Personally, I am glad he messed that one up.

P.S. Think Johns Hopkins LAX will make the the Maryland Alums happy if they lose the lawsuit and get pounded playing B1G football?

Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    It would be interesting to know how close Penn State was to considering a move. With all the turmoil there with an interim President and Athletic Director along with the scandal and sanctions, I'm not sure they were prepared to make any moves. But I could be wrong.

Gordon Gee's comments are more disturbing as an ACC fan. The Big Ten sees the rust belt dying and wants to claim the East and Mid-Atlantic as Big Ten country for survival. They want it as well as to block the ACC from having it. They have opened a Big Ten office in Manhattan. They have now added Johns Hopkins, and they have added the Pinstripe bowl in Yankee Stadium. They just had the announcement at Yankee Stadium with representatives from the Big Ten, FOX Sports, and the NY Yankees. They are going to advertise in Yankee Stadium throughout the baseball season, and they are proposing Big Ten regular season football games in Yankee Stadium. They are exploring having the Big Ten basketball tournament in Madison Square Garden and Brooklyn.

I think if the ACC wants to truly be the East Coast Conference, the ACC needs to make some additional moves. I hope the ACC does. The ACC has been quiet since the announcement of the Grant of Rights. I want the ACC to succeed and am bored with the Big Ten.
    Last edited by Stech; Mon Jun 03 2013 at 09:11 PM.

There were very serious conversations, but they could have just been playing poker to get what they wanted out of the B1G 10. As for the B1G they made their move for UNC, UVa, GT and missed. However, it is not a time for the ACC to sit on their hands and I don't think they are doing that in the least. Like Will Steward said a couple of weeks ago, Swofford learned his lesson on keeping things quiet from the 2003 expansion. Personally, I am glad he messed that one up.

P.S. Think Johns Hopkins LAX will make the the Maryland Alums happy if they lose the lawsuit and get pounded playing B1G football?
    I've talked to a dozen or so Maryland alumns, and only 1 or 2 are happy with what happened. And that's because they think it is more money. The rest enjoyed the ACC, especially in basketball. Hopkins will make Maryland happy in Lacrosse, but they were going to be playing Hopkins anyway.

And to your other point, I think that the Big Ten really thought they were going to get UVA, UNC, and GT. I also think that the Dude of WVU's source was Gordon Gee by way of his contacts in Morgantown having been WVU's President once.
    Last edited by HOO86; Mon Jun 03 2013 at 09:20 PM.

I understand that the number of TV sets in an area and the amount of revenue generated from the media contracts drove this latest round(s) of conference musical chairs. However, Alvarez's comments are "interesting" given the Big Ten's decision to go with a east-west alignment. Most people predict that the West Division will become a 2 horse race; Nebraska and Wisconsin. If that turns out to be true, then is there a possibility that the Big Ten will decide to look "west" for schools (i.e. Kansas, Kansas St, Missouri, Texas, Iowa St, etc) that could help balance things out a little better instead of resorting back to a zipper-model? I am not suggesting it will happen any time soon, but thinking more as the Big XII's GOR starts to approach its expiration date (i.e. 1-2 years). I would think most Big XII schools would at least be "willing" to listen to offers from other conferences before locking themselves into another long-term deal with the Big XII. Also, I am assuming that there will be enough "western" schools that are competitive enough and satisfy the academic requirements to where the Big Ten might find them "appealing" as potential members.

If my assumption turns out to be true and the Big Ten does not want to expand to 16 for whatever reason, is there a scenario where the Big Ten may be willing to "trade" Penn State, Rutgers, and Maryland for 3 "western" schools? Then the more "interesting" question is would the ACC be interested in adding those 3 schools as a package deal?

According to my Penn State insider (who played football at PSU, coached by Jim Weaver, and was friends with Joe and Sue Paterno) who is a personal friend of former Penn State AD Tim Curley, there were "rumblings" among some higher level Penn State officials about parting ways with anything related to Joe Paterno and his football program. One of those things was the possibility of leaving Paterno's Big 10 and beginning a new era in PSU athletics. The anti-Big 10 movement gained steam after the NCAA placed them on probation last summer. There were some within the PSU administration and athletic department who believed the Big 10 could have done more to try to help PSU get its probation reduced but at the end the Big 10 pretty much left Penn State to fend for themselves. There was talk about exploring new conference membership (most likely the ACC) but it never gained wide support. The new administration valued their CIC membership and felt things would "calm down" after a year or so and things would be back to normal in the Big 10. Penn State made enough noise to catch the attention of Jim Delany who finally gave them a few close by travel members in Maryland and Rutgers. Don't expect Penn State to be leaving the Big 10 anytime soon. All is well between them and the Big 10.

There is a lot of division among UMd alums, but not near as much as there would have been if either UNC or UVa left the ACC. I am guessing on this one, but I think UNC and UVa were listening to the B1G mainly to help the ACC know what they said to Maryland. That will help them prevent other teams from leaving and of course help them in the lawsuit. Right now though, I think the battle between the two (ironically) UNC grads Swofford and Delany has a few more rounds to go...including where they will play their conference basketball tournaments. It should be interesting to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    I've talked to a dozen or so Maryland alumns, and only 1 or 2 are happy with what happened. And that's because they think it is more money. The rest enjoyed the ACC, especially in basketball. Hopkins will make Maryland happy in Lacrosse, but they were going to be playing Hopkins anyway.

And to your other point, I think that the Big Ten really thought they were going to get UVA, UNC, and GT. I also think that the Dude of WVU's source was Gordon Gee by way of his contacts in Morgantown having been WVU's President once.

I am not expecting them to leave, but things were serious several months ago. Personally I think the ACC has their eye on another big fish, but the B1G probaly does too. Like I said below to HOO86, it will be interesting to watch the two UNC grads Delany and Swofford have a few more battles.

PS No, the big fish is not ND...they have already choosen their conference.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    According to my Penn State insider (who played football at PSU, coached by Jim Weaver, and was friends with Joe and Sue Paterno) who is a personal friend of former Penn State AD Tim Curley, there were "rumblings" among some higher level Penn State officials about parting ways with anything related to Joe Paterno and his football program. One of those things was the possibility of leaving Paterno's Big 10 and beginning a new era in PSU athletics. The anti-Big 10 movement gained steam after the NCAA placed them on probation last summer. There were some within the PSU administration and athletic department who believed the Big 10 could have done more to try to help PSU get its probation reduced but at the end the Big 10 pretty much left Penn State to fend for themselves. There was talk about exploring new conference membership (most likely the ACC) but it never gained wide support. The new administration valued their CIC membership and felt things would "calm down" after a year or so and things would be back to normal in the Big 10. Penn State made enough noise to catch the attention of Jim Delany who finally gave them a few close by travel members in Maryland and Rutgers. Don't expect Penn State to be leaving the Big 10 anytime soon. All is well between them and the Big 10.

I don't see PSU, UMd, or RU leaving the B1G, but I could see some Big 12-2 schools seeking other conferences. The big prize is Texas and probably Oklahoma going with them. That one should be interesting to watch, but I like the ACC's chances better than any other conference. Texas only needs only to look at A&M and the Dallas Cowboys to see the effect of being in an eastern conference.

PS The Cowboys don't even need to be good (like ND, Yankees) for people to watch them...many who just want to see them lose. The TV folks love them for ratings and of course being able to sell ads.

Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    I understand that the number of TV sets in an area and the amount of revenue generated from the media contracts drove this latest round(s) of conference musical chairs. However, Alvarez's comments are "interesting" given the Big Ten's decision to go with a east-west alignment. Most people predict that the West Division will become a 2 horse race; Nebraska and Wisconsin. If that turns out to be true, then is there a possibility that the Big Ten will decide to look "west" for schools (i.e. Kansas, Kansas St, Missouri, Texas, Iowa St, etc) that could help balance things out a little better instead of resorting back to a zipper-model? I am not suggesting it will happen any time soon, but thinking more as the Big XII's GOR starts to approach its expiration date (i.e. 1-2 years). I would think most Big XII schools would at least be "willing" to listen to offers from other conferences before locking themselves into another long-term deal with the Big XII. Also, I am assuming that there will be enough "western" schools that are competitive enough and satisfy the academic requirements to where the Big Ten might find them "appealing" as potential members.

If my assumption turns out to be true and the Big Ten does not want to expand to 16 for whatever reason, is there a scenario where the Big Ten may be willing to "trade" Penn State, Rutgers, and Maryland for 3 "western" schools? Then the more "interesting" question is would the ACC be interested in adding those 3 schools as a package deal?

I don't see PSU, UMd, or RU leaving the B1G, but I could see some Big 12-2 schools seeking other conferences. The big prize is Texas and probably Oklahoma going with them. That one should be interesting to watch, but I like the ACC's chances better than any other conference. Texas only needs only to look at A&M and the Dallas Cowboys to see the effect of being in an eastern conference.

PS The Cowboys don't even need to be good (like ND, Yankees) for people to watch them...many who just want to see them lose. The TV folks love them for ratings and of course being able to sell ads.
    I heard Oklahoma wants to join the ACC and play in any division with Virginia and Virginia Tech, especially baseball. By the way Tech has recently beaten Oklahoma in women's soccer and wrestling.