Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Stech - what are your thoughts on the article mention in the post below this one?

Thanks!

First, sports fans just think this will happen over night, lots of details, (NOT FOR PUBLIC FORUM) to work out to make the business proposition work.

second ACC (CANT BE SAID IN PUBLIC) really cannot get into details about the network until Maryland leaves, or officially files their papers. THey would claim and take the conference to court claiming they are not included in conference business. Therefore real substantial discussions will not take place until 1 july 2014.

Third, the other conferences recognize the huge advantage acc has with TV markets making up the entire east coast. THey want to broadcast through many social networks, that there are ACC problems, it wont work yada yada. ACC member schools have to trust the conference leadership.

Stay tuned...more to come. Myabe 83 can tell you more.

Quote Originally Posted by 133193Hokie View Post
    Thanks!

Thanks for the information

Makes sense that there has to be a clear cut with maryland's exit. If nothing else to make sure that the exit fee is enforced.

Swofford said it would be a two to three year process. So no surprise it is not over night.

Kind of odd that the "source" of the latest was from pac 12... in two to three years doesn't the big 12 have a look in on their GOR? Kind of interesting. Maybe Pac is afraid one of their hopeful targets may be looking east not west when that look in occurs... also could be coincidental timing related to an ACC network. Probably wishful thinking on my part. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    First, sports fans just think this will happen over night, lots of details, (NOT FOR PUBLIC FORUM) to work out to make the business proposition work.

second ACC (CANT BE SAID IN PUBLIC) really cannot get into details about the network until Maryland leaves, or officially files their papers. THey would claim and take the conference to court claiming they are not included in conference business. Therefore real substantial discussions will not take place until 1 july 2014.

Third, the other conferences recognize the huge advantage acc has with TV markets making up the entire east coast. THey want to broadcast through many social networks, that there are ACC problems, it wont work yada yada. ACC member schools have to trust the conference leadership.
    THAT ... is all very interesting. I said in a different thread that I just can't believe Swofford and the ACC presidents are that stupid ... and I mean that literally; I don't think they're that stupid. And that SBJ article had zero information or quotes from ACC-aligned people. So I will wait and see, and (gulp) trust that the ACC knows what it's doing.
    Always use "Reply With Quote", so everyone knows to whom you're responding.

Regarding #3, WVU Dude has actually picked up his negative ACC remarks since the GOR. He is just one blogger but the crap that comes out of his keyboard is also written elsewhere. I am not suggesting he starts every rumor/spin, there appears to be a legion of negative leaks. It is truly remarkable how deep the desire is to diminish the ACC. I understand WVU's hatred (to be honest, though, think about how we would feel if were blackballed) but the negativity is coming from several places.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post

Quote Originally Posted by 133193Hokie View Post
    Stech - what are your thoughts on the article mention in the post below this one?
    Which article are you referring to? Are you trying to be deliberately vague to those who sort by Last Post Time?

Edit: If I look at thread start times, it would seem to be this post, but considering last post times, it could also be this one, this one, or this one.
    Last edited by Freddyburg Hokie; Thu May 23 2013 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Did the research myself
    No trees were harmed in the making of this post. However, billions of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Stewart View Post
    THAT ... is all very interesting. I said in a different thread that I just can't believe Swofford and the ACC presidents are that stupid ... and I mean that literally; I don't think they're that stupid. And that SBJ article had zero information or quotes from ACC-aligned people. So I will wait and see, and (gulp) trust that the ACC knows what it's doing.
    Two thoughts about this:
    (1) The ACC presidents didn't claw their way to the top of the food chain at a major university by being stupid. There's something more to this.
    (2) ACC folks weren't talking before the GOR either, when all sorts of rumors were flying about the demise of the ACC. There's something more to this.

Anyways, something makes me think there's something more to this. ;^)
    No trees were harmed in the making of this post. However, billions of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddyburg Hokie View Post
    Two thoughts about this:
    (1) The ACC presidents didn't claw their way to the top of the food chain at a major university by being stupid. There's something more to this.
    (2) ACC folks weren't talking before the GOR either, when all sorts of rumors were flying about the demise of the ACC. There's something more to this.

Anyways, something makes me think there's something more to this. ;^)

I have the same thoughts. Plus ESPN isn't stupid either. Why would ESPN, with the best lawyers and business minds in the industry, forget some important details (Raycom, Fox) concerning television rights. I think the ACC is in good shape and the next year or two will show that Swofford, the ACC school presidents, and ESPN knew exactly what they were doing. Like you stated, the ACC presidents didn't claw their way to the top of the food chain at a major university by being stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    I have the same thoughts. Plus ESPN isn't stupid either. Why would ESPN, with the best lawyers and business minds in the industry, forget some important details (Raycom, Fox) concerning television rights. I think the ACC is in good shape and the next year or two will show that Swofford, the ACC school presidents, and ESPN knew exactly what they were doing. Like you stated, the ACC presidents didn't claw their way to the top of the food chain at a major university by being stupid.
    Or, what I think is the most likely scenario, ESPN has zero interest in forming a network with the ACC. They already have their pick of games for basketball and football and saw this as a way to save a few bucks. Plus, this Raycom package may have simply been a cost of doing business with the ACC. They have no concern about Raycom like they did other networks. They overbid on packages (this very ACC package likely being one) to keep them away from Fox/NBC.