Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

Thread: ACCCG article

The ACC shafted the pooch right out of the gate. If the ACC wanted a neutral site for the ACCCG, it should have been in Charlotte from the very beginning. Whether it would have proved successful or not, I don't know, but having it in Jax in the beginning was a terrible idea, especially since at that time the Gator got the 2nd pick after the Orange Bowl. And then to add 2 more years at Tampa which is so far out of the ACC footprint, as to be on Mars.

Couple all of that with the fact you've had Fredo in the ACCCG 2 straight years, and in another year, you had Wake and GT playing for the winner's trophy, and last year, you had a very bad GT team playing (by default) on one side of the championship and you have a receipe for disaster.

I'm inclined to believe the game should be played at the highest seed's home field.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Jessup View Post
    Evidence is piling up that only the SEC can have a consistent, successful championship game. Even the B1G one is not as a successful as they thought it would be. The ACC is what is and to think that championship games at neutral sites will be consistently successful is pure wishful thinking. Eight years in and it is pretty embarrassing. At least with campus championship games, the stands will not be empty and you won't see tickets for $5 on Stubhub.

Modify schedule. Start and finish a week earlier in reg season and you have an additional week to cover ticket logistics.
    Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    The problem with that ticket distribution is the ACC will run the risk of low attendance especially if the division champion is not determined until the last week of the regular season. Logistically speaking, this is how the ticket distribution will probably go down. Let's assume BC and Duke (picking them for a reason) end up as division champions with identical conference records. The ACC determined (via coin flip) that BC will be the designated home team; which means each school would get 22,250 tickets (Alumni Stadium has a capacity of 44,500). The ACC won't be able to ship the tickets to the schools until Monday which means the tickets won't arrive until Tuesday. If lucky, the schools will be able to ship the tickets out to buyers that afternoon which means they won't arrive at the buyer's door until Wednesday or Thursday at the latest (can't assume all fans live in the immediate area). Assuming only 8,250 Duke fans are able to travel to Chestnut Hill, then that will leave 14,000 unused tickets. I say unused because some Duke fan bought them based on the ACCCG application, but can't go. That individual will not have enough time to sell the tickets to another individual and ship them before the start of the game. It is possible that some of the 14,000 could be unsold, but Duke would have to ship them to BC by Thursday afternoon at the latest so BC has enough time to try to sell them Friday afternoon or Saturday morning before the game. At least by having the game at a neutral site, the stadium can maintain more control of ticket allocation since both schools typically get around 20% (maybe 25%), corporate sponsors get 40%, and general admission gets the rest (i.e. direct sales via online/telephone/person). It also helps to reduce shipping cost since unused/unsold tickets do not have to be shipped that extra 1 or 2 times.

I believe this logistical problem may help explain part of the low attendance for the PAC-12 CCG. It is also going to be a potential problem for the upcoming playoffs since it will face the same logistical problem unless schools are willing to give up control of ticket allocation. I don't believe schools will give up control that easily since bowl ticket allocation is often connection to the level of alumni booster support (i.e. booster who give more money get better bowl seats).

I still think playing the game in the center of the conference's footprint, at the same place every year is the best approach. Charlotte should have been the first & last stadium to host the ACCCG.

Now I have a slightly different approach to basketball. Wouldn't mind it moving around, as long as it remains at a neutral location. Would love to occasionally host the ACC tourney in NYC, Atlanta, DC...

Quote Originally Posted by Atlee Hokie View Post
    The ACC shafted the pooch right out of the gate. If the ACC wanted a neutral site for the ACCCG, it should have been in Charlotte from the very beginning. Whether it would have proved successful or not, I don't know, but having it in Jax in the beginning was a terrible idea, especially since at that time the Gator got the 2nd pick after the Orange Bowl. And then to add 2 more years at Tampa which is so far out of the ACC footprint, as to be on Mars.

Couple all of that with the fact you've had Fredo in the ACCCG 2 straight years, and in another year, you had Wake and GT playing for the winner's trophy, and last year, you had a very bad GT team playing (by default) on one side of the championship and you have a receipe for disaster.

I'm inclined to believe the game should be played at the highest seed's home field.
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne