Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 83

Thread: ACCCG article

  1. #21

    Join Date
    January 05, 2001
    Posts
    15,119
    Quote Originally Posted by anchorsteam88 View Post
    Clemson has been a power for what three years now? They were pretty mediocre before that. Rotating no. And I would hate for VT to be in the Big East again verses the old ACC.
    Clemson has an 80,000+ seat stadium that they fill. They send fans to bowls and to the ACCCG. That's why they are a bigger program for the ACC than VT.

  2. #22
    seekoHoG's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 24, 2003
    Location
    Four Corners, Osceola County, Florida
    Posts
    4,536
    Quote Originally Posted by laphroaig View Post
    Scrap the idea of the ACCCG being like another bowl game, play it in the stadium of the team with the better record and it will be standing room only every year.
    Or alternate ...Coastal Division winner in even years and Atlantic in odd.

  3. #23
    Calamitous's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 14, 2004
    Posts
    864
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4vt View Post
    I wouldn't travel to play a six loss team. And FSU deserves more from a league than to half to split money with unprofitable bball schools.
    It is what it is. My point is that other schools have lost money too, not just F$U. 27,000 fans showed up in Tampa in 2008 when Tech beat BC. I didn't hear Swofford bring up the issue with BC and VT back then.

  4. #24

    Join Date
    November 21, 2008
    Posts
    5,086
    Quote Originally Posted by Calamitous View Post
    It is what it is. My point is that other schools have lost money too, not just F$U. 27,000 fans showed up in Tampa in 2008 when Tech beat BC. I didn't hear Swofford bring up the issue with BC and VT back then.
    Ditto, that's my problem with the FSU crying as well.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    You'd first have to decide whether that final week is a week devoted to conference or nonconference games. The most obvious choice would be conference games, because if not you'd have to cancel nonconference games for the four pod winners, which wouldn't be very popular with the noncon opponents.

    If that final weekend is scheduled for conference games, you would essentially have the entire final weekend up in the air until the week before. The worst case would be when all four pod winners had home game scheduled for the final weekend. Scheduling the final weekend at the last minute would be exceedingly difficult.
    No, I think you're missing how I'm setting it up. *All* of the conference's teams would have that weekend blocked off for an intra-pod game. True, you wouldn't know who you were playing until the end of the day's games the week before, but everybody is in the same boat there. It be pre-determined what pods would have home games and what pods are away. But ALL teams are playing. Only the 1v1 games factor into the CCG, but 2v2, 3v3, and 4v4 games would be played, for each pair of pods.
    No trees were harmed in the making of this post. However, billions of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

  6. #26

    Join Date
    January 05, 2001
    Posts
    15,119

    If all teams in a pod have either home or away scheduled, it could work

    Quote Originally Posted by Freddyburg Hokie View Post
    No, I think you're missing how I'm setting it up. *All* of the conference's teams would have that weekend blocked off for an intra-pod game. True, you wouldn't know who you were playing until the end of the day's games the week before, but everybody is in the same boat there. It be pre-determined what pods would have home games and what pods are away. But ALL teams are playing. Only the 1v1 games factor into the CCG, but 2v2, 3v3, and 4v4 games would be played, for each pair of pods.
    Of course, you lose the flexibility of assigning any pod matchups that you want. In that case, you might have the two best ACC teams playing the the first round and the third and fourth teams also playing in the first round. I suppose #1 v. #4 etc would be ideal. In the end though, every pod winner at least has a shot. It would also destroy the inter-conference OOC rivalry weekend, or at least cause it to be moved.

    But, if we can somehow score Texas and get Notre Dame full time, this could be huge. I think in the end, the conference playoffs will have to supplant week #12 of the season, because they will likely add another round to the overall playoff. Too many games otherwise.

  7. #27

    Join Date
    October 14, 2003
    Posts
    10,282
    This^^^ But I'd make an exception if both teams were undefeated 12-0. Then I'd schedule it at a neutral site located somewhere between the two school...even if that means on a neutral ACC campus.

    But under normal circumstances playing it as you suggest on campus gives your highest ranked (and maybe undefeated) team the best chance to win and set them up for getting into the 4-team dance.



    Quote Originally Posted by laphroaig View Post
    Scrap the idea of the ACCCG being like another bowl game, play it in the stadium of the team with the better record and it will be standing room only every year.
    Last edited by Maroon Baboon; Mon May 20 2013 at 12:29 AM.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    June 11, 2010
    Posts
    451
    And they've won the national championship.

  9. #29

    Join Date
    January 05, 2001
    Posts
    15,119
    Quote Originally Posted by Calamitous View Post
    It is what it is. My point is that other schools have lost money too, not just F$U. 27,000 fans showed up in Tampa in 2008 when Tech beat BC. I didn't hear Swofford bring up the issue with BC and VT back then.
    Squeaky wheel gets the grease. VT has made it so clear that they are so deliriously happy in the ACC that we get no concessions.

    The irony is that FSU's options seem a lot less palatable than VT's, if you believe the rumors that we could have left for the SEC. Yet the ACC seems to treat us as an afterthought.

  10. #30

    Join Date
    January 01, 2005
    Location
    Blacksburg
    Posts
    4,404
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    This^^^ But I'd make an exception if both teams were undefeated 12-0. Then I'd schedule it at a neutral site located somewhere between the two school...even if that means on a neutral ACC campus.

    But under normal circumstances playing it as you suggest on campus gives your highest ranked (and maybe undefeated) team the best chance to win and set them up for getting into the 4-team dance.
    I would rather have tiebreakers used when both teams are undefeated.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •