Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: ACCCG article

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    Clemson and FSU need to be in separate divisions. I've been saying this years. These are the top two overall programs, and having them in the same division doesn't help the conference. Rematches are kinda lame, but wouldn't it be cool if Clemson and FSU met as top 5 teams in the ACCCG? Then you'd have something.

I'd love for VT (#3 in the ACC in my power program ranking) to be in the same division as one of these two. Selfishly I'd prefer Clemson. But FSU would suffice.

I like one of the following:

Rotate the teams in the divisions EVERY year while allowing teams to stay with their rivals. OR

Permanent divisions: Old ACC (before 2003) vs. New ACC (after 2003) while allowing FSU-Miami, UVa-VT to play a crossover every year.
    Clemson has been a power for what three years now? They were pretty mediocre before that. Rotating no. And I would hate for VT to be in the Big East again verses the old ACC.
    “You better take care of me Lord, if you don't you're gonna have me on your hands."

Quote Originally Posted by laphroaig View Post
    It's not perfect but it's closer to perfect if the goal is to fill the place.
    Yep. And I think a full house would draw more TV eyeballs, too.

What does preseason prediction have to do with anything? My only reason to rotate teams regularly is so they PLAY each other regularly. As of now, we see teams way too infrequently. And having 15 teams will just make it worse.

Moreover making divisions based on preseason predictions would be a fool's errand for sure. And in fact, I reject the idea that there needs to be perfect competitive balance between the divisions. But having the two best programs in the same division is unhealthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiebob01 View Post
    Basically you'd have to put Florida State, Clemson, Virginia Tech, Miami and North Carolina all in separate divisions. These teams all have the potential to be one of the Top 2 Programs in any given year.

And no you can't make a preseason prediction and then align your divisions accordingly.

I'm speaking more broadly than W-L in the last decade wrt Clemson. I'm talking fanbase, stadium size, football gravitas, etc.

If you were on the fence about buying season tix, and you knew Clemson was coming to town every other year, this might help you make your decision in the affirmative. Especially if the alternative were a team that has had equal success in the last decade (like BC), but is less desirable an opponent.

I also understand you position about not wanting to be in the old BE again, but this would be a good way to preserve rivalries.
    Quote Originally Posted by anchorsteam88 View Post
    Clemson has been a power for what three years now? They were pretty mediocre before that. Rotating no. And I would hate for VT to be in the Big East again verses the old ACC.

Quote Originally Posted by daveinop View Post
    ...link from the Florida Times-Union: Swofford said he wanted to “protect” his member schools from experiencing the type of financial loss Florida State faced in December.
    Poor poor poor F$U. I wonder if Swofford felt the need to "protect" BC with their 1,160 mi and 1,355 mi trips to Jacksonville and Tampa? Heck, VT's 3 trips to Florida were almost identical in length to FSU's trips to Charlotte (except for Tampa which was 200 miles longer). If you look at the attendance records, FSU-GT fared much better last year than the Tech-BC tilts in Florida. Did Tech and BC lose money with those poor attendance records? Also, GT had to travel almost as far to Tampa and Clemson had an even longer trip to Tampa than FSU had to Charlotte. I didn't hear much about "protecting" ACC schools until this year... hmmm??

That said, the ACC should model their CG after the PAC-12.

Quote Originally Posted by hokiebob01 View Post
    Basically you'd have to put Florida State, Clemson, Virginia Tech, Miami and North Carolina all in separate divisions. These teams all have the potential to be one of the Top 2 Programs in any given year.

And no you can't make a preseason prediction and then align your divisions accordingly.
    You're not biased at all. I'd put NCSU and Louisville in that group well before UNC

Quote Originally Posted by anchorsteam88 View Post
    Yeah its pretty hard for me to rank Clemson or ahead of VT as a program unless you are talking only the past 2 years or the previous 40, anything in between goes to VT...and FSU has been even at best while VT has been in the ACC.

Quote Originally Posted by Calamitous View Post
    Poor poor poor F$U. I wonder if Swofford felt the need to "protect" BC with their 1,160 mi and 1,355 mi trips to Jacksonville and Tampa? Heck, VT's 3 trips to Florida were almost identical in length to FSU's trips to Charlotte (except for Tampa which was 200 miles longer). If you look at the attendance records, FSU-GT fared much better last year than the Tech-BC tilts in Florida. Did Tech and BC lose money with those poor attendance records? Also, GT had to travel almost as far to Tampa and Clemson had an even longer trip to Tampa than FSU had to Charlotte. I didn't hear much about "protecting" ACC schools until this year... hmmm??

That said, the ACC should model their CG after the PAC-12.
    I wouldn't travel to play a six loss team. And FSU deserves more from a league than to half to split money with unprofitable bball schools.

OOPS, made a mistake. I meant to say FSU in NEW ACC division. In other words, the Old ACC division would be pre-1990s expansion. This would also satisfy my main point of having Clemson and FSU in separate divisions. Sorry for the confusion.

That's a nice idea but tough to implement.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddyburg Hokie View Post
    How would you decide on the best two pod winners if they didn't meet? That goes back to the same issue of a 10-team league that didn't play everyone every year, and two teams that didn't play each other tie for the best league record.

I think, if you had four pods (of four teams each, of course), you could have the last week of the season be pod A vs pod B, pod C vs pod D. The 1s would play each other, the 2s would play each other, etc, and the games are set based on current division (or ACC) records. The winner of the two 1s games would go to the ACCCG. You couldn't have a de jure ACC Final Four, but incorporating the last week of the season like this, it would be a de facto ACC final four.
    You'd first have to decide whether that final week is a week devoted to conference or nonconference games. The most obvious choice would be conference games, because if not you'd have to cancel nonconference games for the four pod winners, which wouldn't be very popular with the noncon opponents.

If that final weekend is scheduled for conference games, you would essentially have the entire final weekend up in the air until the week before. The worst case would be when all four pod winners had home game scheduled for the final weekend. Scheduling the final weekend at the last minute would be exceedingly difficult.

There is a one way that I think might work. If you have two conferences - each with 16 schools - in scheduling partnership in which both conferences agree to leave 'TBD' OOC games for the final weekend, you could make this work. The 12 non-pod winners would of course have to allocate the final weekend as a home or away game, and the conferences could agree to match up the 'aways' from one conference with the 'homes' from the other.

I think that would be really interesting, particularly in that fans wouldn't know until the last minute who they get for the final weekend. There would be a problem if too many schools in both conferences had home games allocated for the TBD weekend (i.e., 3 or 4 pod winners had away games for the TBD weekend), but there are a lot ways to compensate those schools who lost a home game.

The B1G and ACC could make this work. If Texas and Notre Dame join the ACC for football (dreams, I know), and the B1G grabs two more, we're in business.
    Last edited by lawhokie; Sun May 19 2013 at 07:48 PM.