Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

WADR you are ignoring the B1G's bowl record and that the ACC is ranked higher in academics than the B1G to come to that conclusion. Those aren't the only things, but they are two major things that should not be ignored and thus I can't agree with your conclusion.

PS The Pac 12's Bowl record isn't that great either and their academic rankings aren't as high as the ACC. The only one at the top is the SEC in football and they are accademically below the ACC, The B1G and the PAC. Those things matter when you start comparing and rank conferences.

Quote Originally Posted by 133193Hokie View Post
    Today, the ACC is a second tier conference - that was and is the fear. First tier is SEC, B1G and PAC. Second tier is ACC and Big12. That may change in the future, but that is today's reality.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4vt View Post
    It's tough to argue against this. I can imagine the ACC approaching the B1G and/or Pac12 in about a decade. But, we really got to get at least two or three NCs in that time to be considered top tier. I could see FSU getting one or two and then a VT, Miami, or Clemson getting one. Recruiting at all 4 is as good as ever. And THEN the money may equal out. If the ACC continues to slide, those other three will continue to pull away. Considering FSU and Clemson could be facing setting in a $100 million + hole compared to their in state rivals, we really have to get it done on the field.
    Is it that important to win titles? The B1G & PAC12 have exactly the same number of BCS titles as the ACC.

well - I guess you proved my point. Second tier conferences argue that they have better academics and higher standards just like second tier football programs (UVA for example) ;-)

Seriously - I do think that the ACC has some positives with academics and Olympic sports being two of them. But to say that the ACC today (or for the last 5 years) is better or equal to the B1G and/or PAC is stretching it in my opinion. Can the ACC get there someday - maybe. But it will be hard with all of the small private schools we have in the conference.

Well we shouldn't go congratulating ourselves yet, should we?

Quote Originally Posted by Hokiestud View Post
    I still laugh when I think of how many VT fans were pissing their pants, both here and elsewhere, worrying themselves sick that we were going to end up stuck in a second-tier conference. It was never gonna happen. As the article illustrates, VT is simply too valuable a commodity now with too many connections in high places not to be included a major BCS conference.
    The ACC, as presently constituted, is a second-tier football conference. If you haven't seen our 2013 schedule, take a look. When half your members can't get 50,000 fans to watch a football games you have infrastructure problems.

I'm resigned that VT is stuck in the ACC, but I can't accept that the current fourteen schools will ever form a top football conference, and football is what fills the Hokie Club coffers. That GOR didn't turn Syracuse into a football draw. We still have work to do.

Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    The ACC, as presently constituted, is a second-tier football conference. If you haven't seen our 2013 schedule, take a look. When half your members can't get 50,000 fans to watch a football games you have infrastructure problems.

I'm resigned that VT is stuck in the ACC, but I can't accept that the current fourteen schools will ever form a top football conference, and football is what fills the Hokie Club coffers. That GOR didn't turn Syracuse into a football draw. We still have work to do.
    Sadly, I agree and have resigned myself to same...I question whether the ACC "good old boy basketball & brie" network is really too concerned about football anyway. THAT is why (in my opinion) we are and will always be a second tier conference athletically!

Agreed. We need to add football schools if given an opportunity and as a conference, we need to step up our OOC schedule. The recent decision to continue playing FCS schools was a big mistake.

Playing FCS schools allows for big OOC matchups. C-USA type schools require road games which lessens the opportunity for one-for-ones with big schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Femoyer Hokie View Post
    Agreed. We need to add football schools if given an opportunity and as a conference, we need to step up our OOC schedule. The recent decision to continue playing FCS schools was a big mistake.

VT's realistic goal is to win the ACC. Winning the ACC then allows for a shot in the playoffs. I understand playoff teams will likely have more resources, higher paid coaches, better recruits, etc. but money doesn't win every time.

VT wouldn't have a realistic goal in the SEC other than playing very good teams and getting a win here and there against a big boy. As a fan, that seems more entertaining but the ACC provides a more even playing field.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Jessup View Post
    Playing FCS schools allows for big OOC matchups. C-USA type schools require road games which lessens the opportunity for one-for-ones with big schools.
    Sorry. I'm not following. Can you clarify?

Of the four OOC games per year, we need either 3 or 2 of them to be home games. If we schedule a FCS team, that would be a home game with no need to play at their stadium. Using a road game on a scrub instead of a big time school (as a part of a home and away two game series) leads to poor schedules. That is, unless, you think playing ECU and Marshall is better than playing a Ohio State and a Richmond.

Quote Originally Posted by Femoyer Hokie View Post
    Sorry. I'm not following. Can you clarify?