Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

If you want to know why 83 and I felt confident over a year ago, read this article

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/tee...0,955983.story

It gives you a lot of insight as to why VT would land on it's feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post

I still laugh when I think of how many VT fans were pissing their pants, both here and elsewhere, worrying themselves sick that we were going to end up stuck in a second-tier conference. It was never gonna happen. As the article illustrates, VT is simply too valuable a commodity now with too many connections in high places not to be included a major BCS conference.
    Last edited by Hokiestud; Thu May 16 2013 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokiestud View Post
    I still laugh when I think of how many VT fans were pissing their pants, both here and elsewhere, worrying themselves sick that we were going to end up stuck in a second-tier conference. It was never gonna happen. As the article illustrates, VT is simply too valuable a commodity now with too many connections in high places not to be included a major BCS conference.
    Depends on your definition of a basketball conference like the ACC, where we are tolerated but never to be appreciated or wanted... I know, I know, I am in the minority (somebody has to be).

I don't think anybody doubted VT would end up in a major conference. Worst case was Big12 for anybody that has been paying attention. And had the ACC folded, the Big12 would have still been a major player. But, that would have certainly been a downgrade from the SEC, which we have turned down. We may have even been able to work a B1G invite out of this, with AAU membership coming, in a best case scenario.

Generally, I think the SEC was by far the most likely landing spot for VT if the ACC came unglued, but there were a few scenarios that may have left us out of it. Perhaps if UNC had been allowed to drag others with them, or if the SEC ever allowed Clemson and FSU in, etc...

Anyhow, had ESPN not stepped up, it would have been interesting to watch this all play out.

The fear was that VT would be hopelessly devoted to an ACC that was seeing the competition and financial gaps between it and the SEC, B1G, and Pac12 widen to unacceptable margins.

No one who spent time on this issue thought we'd get stuck outside a BCS conference.

Last edited by Maroon Baboon; Thu May 16 2013 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    The fear was that VT would be hopelessly devoted to an ACC that was seeing the competition and financial gaps between it and the SEC, B1G, and Pac12 widen to unacceptable margins.

No one who spent time on this issue thought we'd get stuck outside a BCS conference.
    Agreed, an ACC w/out FSU and/or Clemson is much less appealing to VT.

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post

VT has been very blessed with our last two presidents. Lets hope our next will be able to fill their shoes!
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

Today, the ACC is a second tier conference - that was and is the fear. First tier is SEC, B1G and PAC. Second tier is ACC and Big12. That may change in the future, but that is today's reality.

Quote Originally Posted by 133193Hokie View Post
    Today, the ACC is a second tier conference - that was and is the fear. First tier is SEC, B1G and PAC. Second tier is ACC and Big12. That may change in the future, but that is today's reality.
    It's tough to argue against this. I can imagine the ACC approaching the B1G and/or Pac12 in about a decade. But, we really got to get at least two or three NCs in that time to be considered top tier. I could see FSU getting one or two and then a VT, Miami, or Clemson getting one. Recruiting at all 4 is as good as ever. And THEN the money may equal out. If the ACC continues to slide, those other three will continue to pull away. Considering FSU and Clemson could be facing setting in a $100 million + hole compared to their in state rivals, we really have to get it done on the field.
    Last edited by chuckd4vt; Thu May 16 2013 at 11:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4vt View Post
    It's tough to argue against this. I can imagine the ACC approaching the B1G and/or Pac12 in about a decade. But, we really got to get at least two or three NCs in that time to be considered top tier. I could see FSU getting one or two and then a VT, Miami, or Clemson getting one. Recruiting at all 4 is as good as ever. And THEN the money may equal out. If the ACC continues to slide, those other three will continue to pull away. Considering FSU and Clemson could be facing setting in a $100 million + hole compared to their in state rivals, we really have to get it done on the field.
    And BTW, this academic collaboration better be more than just study abroad sharing. As I suggested earlier, I'm pretty sure if I coughed up the dough, I could study abroad at about any ACC school I wanted to now anyways. Additionally, I saw that the ACC collaborated to give a dozen $1000 scholarships or something, the CIC this is not so far.