Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    No offense, but that would blow chunks to be stuck in another version of the Big Least. Who the effin heck would ever want to end up in such a crappy deal for VT? Swap VT with Dook or Wake, make UVA our "rival," & we have a deal. I would much rather play FSU, Clemson, UNC & NCSU every year. Would enjoy playing GT once PJ the chop-block moves on...

Quote Originally Posted by I85Hokie View Post
    Hopefully it will never come to this, but here's what I envision that looking like:

North

BC
    Syracuse
    Pitt
    Louisville
    VT
    UVA
    Miami

South

Clemson
    GT
    FSU
    UNC
    Duke
    NCSU
    Wake

Miami would go in the North because culturally Miami is more northern. And they would still get FSU as a cross-divisional rival. This would also put all four NC schools together, making them happy (and the ACC likes to keep the NC schools happy). In fact, the only ones who would be very unhappy with this arrangement would be VT and UVA. It would kill southern recruiting, as well as damage traditional and geographic rivalries. Maybe they would throw us a bone by giving us Clemson as a cross-divisional rival. But still, it would be like playing in the old Big East again, with a couple of ACC games thrown in.
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

Hopefully it will never come to this, but here's what I envision that looking like:

North

BC
    Syracuse
    Pitt
    Louisville
    VT
    UVA
    Miami

South

Clemson
    GT
    FSU
    UNC
    Duke
    NCSU
    Wake

Miami would go in the North because culturally Miami is more northern. And they would still get FSU as a cross-divisional rival. This would also put all four NC schools together, making them happy (and the ACC likes to keep the NC schools happy). In fact, the only ones who would be very unhappy with this arrangement would be VT and UVA. It would kill southern recruiting, as well as damage traditional and geographic rivalries. Maybe they would throw us a bone by giving us Clemson as a cross-divisional rival. But still, it would be like playing in the old Big East again, with a couple of ACC games thrown in.
    Since when did uva get in the Big East?!..."deja vu all over again"

Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    Here are all the rivalries (I can think of off the top of my head) that the ACC would have to decide which should or should not be preserved.

UNC-UVA
    Duke-UNC*
    UNC-NC State
    Duke-Wake
    Wake-NC State
    Wake-UNC
    Duke-NC State
    UVA-VT*
    VT-Miami
    Pitt-Syracuse
    Syracuse-BC
    Miami-BC
    Miami-Syracuse
    Miami-FSU
    GT-Clemson
    Clemson-NC State*
    GT-FSU
    UVA-FSU*

* Trophy Game

I am pretty sure I missed a few, but I think I got majority of them. Also, I am not including Clemson-FSU (for the moment) because it is my understanding that the rivalry did not really develop until recently when there was a Bowden as the head coach.
    With the exception of UVA-FSU, I am pretty sure the alignment I posted above preserves every single one of those matchups each year.
    *.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. *.*.*.*.*.*

I just wish we would STOP with the zone blocking read option crap and line up in the I, put a hat on a hat and run the tailback behind the fullback through a designated gosh-danged hole. There is NO REASON why this program shouldn't be able to find 5 fat guys who can move some people out of the way and clear a lane for a back to get through!

North

BC
    Syracuse
    Pitt
    Louisville
    VT
    UVA
    Miami

South

Clemson
    GT
    FSU
    UNC
    Duke
    NCSU
    Wake

I've seen this one thrown out as an option.

Coastal

Boston College
    Pittsburgh
    Louisville
    Virginia Tech
    NC State
    Wake Forest
    Miami

Atlantic

Syracuse
    Georgia Tech
    Clemson
    Virginia
    North Carolina
    Duke
    Florida State

The permanent rival would be the corresponding in the same order, so UVA/VT would be permanent rivals, FSU-Miami, NCState-UNC, etc. I like how they are now, but I'd prefer this to straight up North vs South.

FSU is the one pushing for change because they want GT and Clemson in their Division. GT wants Duke, UVA, and UNC in their division. This was a solution thrown out that could make both work and not be North vs South.

When Swofford was asked about it, he said nothing is on the table other than Louisville replacing Maryland.
    Last edited by HOO86; Tue Apr 30 2013 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GusDaMan View Post
    every conference has dealt with the occasional (or even not so occasional) mismatches in their champ games. Not to mention, the so-called "balance" that we have right now in the ACC has led to such compelling ACCCgs as VT/BC (twice), and wake/GT.
    Occassional, yes. Mismatch by design? This is horrible, this idea.
    No trees were harmed in the making of this post. However, billions of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by GusDaMan View Post
    UVA and FSU play for a trophy?
    The Jefferson-Eppes Trophy
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffers...93Eppes_Trophy

I think the divisions will stay the way they are. Louisville will simply replace Maryland. I think adding UConn (or Cincinnati if you like) as a full member and adding Navy as a football-only member works out great. With UConn, you get a 16th member for basketball which evens out scheduling. With Navy, the ACC still has a football team in the Baltimore TV market. Plus the pods give everyone a better chance of playing all the ACC teams sooner than later.

I hope not. Four teams, i.e. UNC, Duke, State, and Wake in the South division are within 3-4 hours of Blacksburg. In the North division, only UVA is less than 6-8 hours from Blacksburg. There go the advantages of being in the ACC.

North

BC
    Syracuse
    Pitt
    Louisville
    VT
    UVA
    Miami

South

Clemson
    GT
    FSU
    UNC
    Duke
    NCSU
    Wake

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    I think the divisions will stay the way they are. Louisville will simply replace Maryland. I think adding UConn (or Cincinnati if you like) as a full member and adding Navy as a football-only member works out great. With UConn, you get a 16th member for basketball which evens out scheduling. With Navy, the ACC still has a football team in the Baltimore TV market. Plus the pods give everyone a better chance of playing all the ACC teams sooner than later.

what is uneven about bball scheduling with 15? we play 18 games, 9 home, 9 away, 10 teams once, 2 rivals twice, and 2 rotating teams twice. every 6 years we will have had a home and home in the same season with all 14 teams.

16 might help with football (a little), but it's not worth having UConn football IMO. you can fix some of the scheduling issues with 14 if you really want to, but the ACC just doesn't seem interested in making any changes to the division format. simply eliminating the meaningless crossovers like the Pac12 does would shorten the home and home window from 12 years to 8 years for most teams and from 12 years to 6 years for a few others. you could also create scheduling pods with 14 teams and change the divisions around every 2 years. that's not ideal from a branding perspective, but it would help with some scheduling issues.

point is, adding UConn and a football only member won't make things better.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

North

BC
    Syracuse
    Pitt
    Louisville
    VT
    UVA
    Miami

South

Clemson
    GT
    FSU
    UNC
    Duke
    NCSU
    Wake

I don't adhere to the Miami rationale......if anything, it will be a travel expense/travel time nightmare for Miami & its athletes. I suggest putting wake or UNC into the north.......and leaving miami back into the south.... if I wanted to jettison anyone from the north ( IT WOULD BE PITT----ONLY FOR THE REASON THEY HAVE PROVEN) I'M NOT SURE YEARS OF PSYCHIATRIC COUNSELING COULD HELP US TURN THE TABLES......We got to Pitt.....they walk up to us ----stare--- & sock us in the face. We simply collapse in response and the rest of the game is a
    replay loop of them bitch slapping us over & over.... our coaches offer nothing to the team to get them out of it......it is an annual beatdown..... one I feel will be a primary cause of Beamers departure (before he plans to)--- you can tell the team & coaching staff are completely intimidated--- regardless of who is the Pitt coach - a new one coaching his 1st game lastyear....same results... proofs in the pudding