Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

VT should play Clemson every year. Louisvilled doesn't deserve that cherry game.

Quote Originally Posted by 134024Hokie View Post
    I think we should modifiy the existing divisions to this: Cross over rivals directly across

Coastal.................Atlantic
    Louisville..............Clemson
    Pitt....................Syracuse
    UVA.....................BC
    VT......................GT
    Duke....................Wake Forest
    UNC.....................NCSU
    Miami...................FSU

replace BC with Louisville.....NICE, give FSU and Clemson their GT buddies...but keep the budding rivalry with GT going...

Make it happen
    We need Clemson, UNC, Miami, and UVa every year to ensure that we have 4 good football draws every year, and thus 2 decent homes games in order to sell season tix, maximize donations, etc. GT does not move the needle.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddyburg Hokie View Post
    Put Miami in the North. They're flying to every school but FSU anyways, and they wanted the NE connection when they moved to the ACC. With Miami in the North, the boundary is set at the NC/VA border. You have FSU, Clemson, GT in the South, balanced by VT, Miami, Louisville in the North. Occasional good years by NCSU/UNC are balanced by Pitt/UVA. Wake/Duke are roughly on par with BC/SU. South is slightly better right now, but if Louisville/Miami play up to potential, they're pretty even.

Rivals:
    South North
    FSU Miami
    VT GT
    UNC UVA
    Duke SU
    Wake BC
    Clemson Louisville
    NCSU Pitt
    Problem is that the North division doesn't have a single school that would send anybody to the ACCCG. That means ACCCG tix would go for 10 bucks every year. FSU, VT, UNC, Clemson and NCSU would all sell more tix than anybody in the North, although I'm not sure about Louisville.

Quote Originally Posted by I85Hokie View Post
    Hopefully it will never come to this, but here's what I envision that looking like:

North

BC
    Syracuse
    Pitt
    Louisville
    VT
    UVA
    Miami

South

Clemson
    GT
    FSU
    UNC
    Duke
    NCSU
    Wake

Miami would go in the North because culturally Miami is more northern. And they would still get FSU as a cross-divisional rival. This would also put all four NC schools together, making them happy (and the ACC likes to keep the NC schools happy). In fact, the only ones who would be very unhappy with this arrangement would be VT and UVA. It would kill southern recruiting, as well as damage traditional and geographic rivalries. Maybe they would throw us a bone by giving us Clemson as a cross-divisional rival. But still, it would be like playing in the old Big East again, with a couple of ACC games thrown in.
    FSU wants GT in their division. Did the ACC offer some division flexibility to get FSU on board with the GOR? Or some other type of division realignment? Realignment needs to be done, and hopefully geographically, as it's better for branding. Not many fans outside the ACC know who is in our divisions, and the same thing w/ the former B1G divisions, yet just about any fan can tell you who is in the SEC West.
    Last edited by BROman Hokie; Thu May 02 2013 at 12:55 PM.

I'd like to see something like coastal and continental.
    Coastal:
    BC
    UVA
    Duke
    NCSt
    UNC
    FSU
    UM

Continental:
    Cuse
    Pitt
    VT
    UL
    WF
    Clemson
    GT

Quote Originally Posted by I85Hokie View Post
    Hopefully it will never come to this, but here's what I envision that looking like:

North

BC
    Syracuse
    Pitt
    Louisville
    VT
    UVA
    Miami

South

Clemson
    GT
    FSU
    UNC
    Duke
    NCSU
    Wake

Miami would go in the North because culturally Miami is more northern. And they would still get FSU as a cross-divisional rival. This would also put all four NC schools together, making them happy (and the ACC likes to keep the NC schools happy). In fact, the only ones who would be very unhappy with this arrangement would be VT and UVA. It would kill southern recruiting, as well as damage traditional and geographic rivalries. Maybe they would throw us a bone by giving us Clemson as a cross-divisional rival. But still, it would be like playing in the old Big East again, with a couple of ACC games thrown in.

Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    We need Clemson, UNC, Miami, and UVa every year to ensure that we have 4 good football draws every year, and thus 2 decent homes games in order to sell season tix, maximize donations, etc. GT does not move the needle.
    That's what VT wants, but what is best for the conference as a whole? THAT is what is going to be the driver in a realignment scenario, not what is best for VT.
    No trees were harmed in the making of this post. However, billions of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    Problem is that the North division doesn't have a single school that would send anybody to the ACCCG. That means ACCCG tix would go for 10 bucks every year. FSU, VT, UNC, Clemson and NCSU would all sell more tix than anybody in the North, although I'm not sure about Louisville.
    Swap VT and GT, got that mixed up. Editing original post.

I know VT would, especially to an ACCCG in Charlotte. I think Louisville would. UVA might, for a Charlotte game. Plus, with Charlotte, given two quality teams, there would be a lot of local sales from NC ACC fans. This does depend, however, on the overall elevation of performance in the ACC. Teams have got to start playing up to their potential. It seems that FSU, Clemson and Louisville have started to do so. Until last year, VT always has. Will anybody else step up?
    Last edited by Freddyburg Hokie; Thu May 02 2013 at 01:56 PM.
    No trees were harmed in the making of this post. However, billions of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddyburg Hokie View Post
    Wake/Duke are roughly on par with BC/SU.
    Wake and Duke are roughly on par with BC, but historically speaking, Syracuse has a proud program and tradition that has only recently fallen on hard times. If they can manage a return to the strength they saw in the 90s and early 00s and maintain it, the North would be a very tough division to say the least!
    *.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. *.*.*.*.*.*

I just wish we would STOP with the zone blocking read option crap and line up in the I, put a hat on a hat and run the tailback behind the fullback through a designated gosh-danged hole. There is NO REASON why this program shouldn't be able to find 5 fat guys who can move some people out of the way and clear a lane for a back to get through!

Quote Originally Posted by BROman Hokie View Post
    FSU wants GT in their division. Did the ACC offer some division flexibility to get FSU on board with the GOR? Or some other type of division realignment?
    Don't know if it was offered, but it is a sore spot between GT and FSU fans, that they're not playing every year.

Quote Originally Posted by BROman Hokie View Post
    Realignment needs to be done, and hopefully geographically, as it's better for branding. Not many fans outside the ACC know who is in our divisions, and the same thing w/ the former B1G divisions, yet just about any fan can tell you who is in the SEC West.
    This right here is the key. Branding. You may think people really know who is in the Coastal and who is in the Atlantic (despite the fact that the names don't give them a clue), but can you rattle off the teams in Legends and Leaders? I can't. Neither can the casual (and some not-so-casual) college football fan do the same for the ACC.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie CPA View Post
    Wake and Duke are roughly on par with BC, but historically speaking, Syracuse has a proud program and tradition that has only recently fallen on hard times. If they can manage a return to the strength they saw in the 90s and early 00s and maintain it, the North would be a very tough division to say the least!
    Agreed, but can they? Can they recruit to that level these days? I hope so. The ACC would be much better off if its teams upped their overall performance.