Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

ACC and North-South divisions

Hopefully it will never come to this, but here's what I envision that looking like:

North

BC
    Syracuse
    Pitt
    Louisville
    VT
    UVA
    Miami

South

Clemson
    GT
    FSU
    UNC
    Duke
    NCSU
    Wake

Miami would go in the North because culturally Miami is more northern. And they would still get FSU as a cross-divisional rival. This would also put all four NC schools together, making them happy (and the ACC likes to keep the NC schools happy). In fact, the only ones who would be very unhappy with this arrangement would be VT and UVA. It would kill southern recruiting, as well as damage traditional and geographic rivalries. Maybe they would throw us a bone by giving us Clemson as a cross-divisional rival. But still, it would be like playing in the old Big East again, with a couple of ACC games thrown in.

Quote Originally Posted by I85Hokie View Post
    Hopefully it will never come to this, but here's what I envision that looking like:

North

BC
    Syracuse
    Pitt
    Louisville
    VT
    UVA
    Miami

South

Clemson
    GT
    FSU
    UNC
    Duke
    NCSU
    Wake

Miami would go in the North because culturally Miami is more northern. And they would still get FSU as a cross-divisional rival. This would also put all four NC schools together, making them happy (and the ACC likes to keep the NC schools happy). In fact, the only ones who would be very unhappy with this arrangement would be VT and UVA. It would kill southern recruiting, as well as damage traditional and geographic rivalries. Maybe they would throw us a bone by giving us Clemson as a cross-divisional rival. But still, it would be like playing in the old Big East again, with a couple of ACC games thrown in.
    UVa will never allow that to happen.

If Clemson is our permanent crossover, that schedule would be equal to the one we have now. It would actually be tougher. We would just lose a couple games in NC. But I don't think they would protect anything other than Miami-FSU and UVA-UNC in this scenario.

Proposed - Current
    BC - BC
    UVA - UVA
    Miami - Miami
    Pitt - Pitt
    Louisville - UNC
    Syracuse - Duke
    Clemson - GT

North

BC
    Syracuse
    Pitt
    Louisville
    VT
    UVA
    Miami

South

Clemson
    GT
    FSU
    UNC
    Duke
    NCSU
    Wake

North

BC
    Syracuse
    Pitt
    Louisville
    VT
    UVA
    Miami

South

Clemson
    GT
    FSU
    UNC
    Duke
    NCSU
    Wake

if you are going to go N/S and still put Miami in the North, just keep Coastal/Atlantic and tweak them to accommodate ESPN and various programs desires for change (if there is any). to go N/S, the goal should be to have some sense of geography that is easy for the average fan to pick up and associate with.

I prefer the N/S split i shared which is a curved line from south of L'ville, up over Blacksburg, dipping under chapel hill and durham but staying above Raleigh:

N/S
    BC/Miami
    Cuse/Clemson
    Pitt/GT
    L'ville/FSU
    uva/VT
    UNC/NCSU
    dook/Wake

it may seem a little unbalanced, but all rivalries i can think of were preserved, and the north will most likely always have 1-2 teams that rise up to be top 25 material and give us a good show in Charlotte for the ACCCG.

acclocationsmap4.0_standard_352.0.jpg
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

North

BC
    Syracuse
    Pitt
    Louisville
    VT
    UVA
    Miami

South

Clemson
    GT
    FSU
    UNC
    Duke
    NCSU
    Wake

As long as schools want to hold onto preserving their historic "rivalries" (i.e. UNC-UVA), then very few schools will want to go along it. The best the ACC could is probably keep the zipper model and just make a few minor changes to it.

Atlantic
    BC
    Louisville
    VT
    Wake
    NC State
    Clemson
    FSU

Coastal
    Syracuse
    Pitt
    UVA
    Duke
    UNC
    GT
    Miami

People have to keep in mind that divisions are only a requirement for football so a conference can hold a conference championship game. For the other sports, a conference can have no divisions and use whatever scheduling format (i.e. pods). If the ACC ever did want to go with a North-South alignment, then Notre Dame will have to become a full member and the conference would have to find a 16th school that is located in the "north."

North
    BC
    Syracuse
    Pitt
    Notre Dame
    VT
    UVA
    Louisville
    16th school (i.e. UConn or Cincy)

South
    Wake
    Duke
    UNC
    NC State
    Clemson
    GT
    FSU
    Miami

Now if Notre Dame does not want to join as a full member, then the ACC could decide to add 2 football-only members (i.e. Army and Navy). By doing that it would keep the Commander-in-Chief Trophy in play for both schools (1 game against Air Force), Navy could continue to play Notre Dame since it would have either 3 or 4 OOC spots to fill, and the ACC could once again have a school in MD (if that matters). If the conference went to 16 teams then there couldn't be a protective cross-divisional game. Instead, it would have to go with either 1 or 2 rotating cross-divisional games depending on if the conference schedule is 8 or 9 games.
    Last edited by VTHokie2000; Tue Apr 30 2013 at 11:01 AM.

North

BC
    Syracuse
    Pitt
    Louisville
    VT
    UVA
    Miami

South

Clemson
    GT
    FSU
    UNC
    Duke
    NCSU
    Wake

That would be horrible. One driveable game? No way that would fly.

Clemson and FSU need to be in separate divisions. Old v. New ACC would work

CU and FSU are the two best programs and should be in separate divisions.

Old ACC and New ACC would be fine with me as long as we got UVa as a cross over every year.

Old (Original 7)
    New (FSU, Miami, VT, UL, Pitt, SU, BC)

North

BC
    Syracuse
    Pitt
    Louisville
    VT
    UVA
    Miami

South

Clemson
    GT
    FSU
    UNC
    Duke
    NCSU
    Wake

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    CU and FSU are the two best programs and should be in separate divisions.

Old ACC and New ACC would be fine with me as long as we got UVa as a cross over every year.

Old (Original 7)
    New (FSU, Miami, VT, UL, Pitt, SU, BC)
    i don't hate it...(but it's technically original 5 + uva + GT)

Old / New
    unc - cuse
    dook - Miami
    ncsu - l'ville
    wake - BC
    Clemson - FSU
    uva - VT
    GT - Pitt
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    i don't hate it...(but it's technically original 5 + uva + GT)

Old / New
    unc - cuse
    dook - Miami
    ncsu - l'ville
    wake - BC
    Clemson - FSU
    uva - VT
    GT - Pitt
    If y'all really want to piss off Florida State, you put them in a division with neither Clemson nor Georgia Tech. LOL

How about this?

Atlantic Coastal
    Florida State Miami
    Georgia Tech Virginia Tech
    Clemson Louisville
    Duke Boston College
    Wake Forest Syracuse
    North Carolina Virginia
    NC State Pittsburgh

It's essentially a N-S alignment, FSU gets the games it wants from "local" rivals Georgia Tech and Clemson, the Miami-FSU, Miami-VT, UVA-UNC, and VT-Clemson rivalries remain intact, the Carolina schools are all together, and the smaller private schools are paired up.

As for Virginia Tech, we lose our regular match-ups with UNC and Duke, but pick up annual tilts with Louisville and Syracuse. Other than that, our conference schedule doesn't change at all. What we would need, though is 9 conference games to allow us to get one game per year at one of the NC schools so our recruiting doesn't suffer down there either.
    Last edited by Hokie CPA; Tue Apr 30 2013 at 02:44 PM.
    *.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. *.*.*.*.*.*

I just wish we would STOP with the zone blocking read option crap and line up in the I, put a hat on a hat and run the tailback behind the fullback through a designated gosh-danged hole. There is NO REASON why this program shouldn't be able to find 5 fat guys who can move some people out of the way and clear a lane for a back to get through!

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie CPA View Post
    If y'all really want to piss off Florida State, you put them in a division with neither Clemson nor Georgia Tech. LOL

How about this?

Atlantic Coastal
    Florida State Miami
    Georgia Tech Virginia Tech
    Clemson Louisville
    Duke Boston College
    Wake Forest Syracuse
    North Carolina Virginia
    NC State Pittsburgh

It's essentially a N-S alignment, FSU gets the games it wants from "local" rivals Georgia Tech and Clemson, the Miami-FSU, Miami-VT, UVA-UNC, and VT-Clemson rivalries remain intact, the Carolina schools are all together, and the smaller private schools are paired up.

As for Virginia Tech, we lose our regular match-ups with UNC and Duke, but pick up annual tilts with Louisville and Syracuse. Other than that, our conference schedule doesn't change at all. What we would need, though is 9 conference games to allow us to get one game per year at one of the NC schools so our recruiting doesn't suffer down there either.
    FSU doesn't play GT every year now, and in the Old/New setup, they would still play Clemson and Miami every year, just as they do now. i don't think anyone cares about what division they are in beyond how it impacts who they play every year.

i'm not a fan of the North + Miami vs South setup a bunch of posters keep bringing up. if you're going to put Miami in the North, just keep Coastal / Atlantic and mix the teams up more evenly like they are today.