Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I'm throwing a 24 team model out there:
    4div x 6teams = 5div games + 3outofdiv games

The ACC could "merge" some Big XII teams into the fold.
    ACC South:
    Clemson
    Georgia Tech
    Florida State
    Miami
    NC State
    Wake Forest

ACC Central:
    Duke
    Louisville
    North Carolina
    Virginia
    Virginia Tech
    WEST VIRGINIA

ACC North:
    Boston College
    CONNECTICUT
    Notre Dame
    Pittsburgh
    Syracuse
    ??? (Penn State?, Ohio?, Cincinnati?, ???)

ACC West:
    IOWA STATE
    KANSAS
    OKLAHOMA
    TEXAS
    ??? (Kansas State?, Oklahoma State?, Texas Tech?, Baylor?...)
    ??? (...Louisiana Tech?, Rice?, Tulane?, Southern Miss?, ???)

Quote Originally Posted by Femoyer Hokie View Post
    16-20 team conferences. No (or few) cross division/pod games. This comes out to 7 (maybe 8) conference games and frees up FSU/ND and the rest of us to schedule 5 non-conference games. That's what makes them (and TV) happy. Win your division and you advance in the playoff even if you lose all your out of conference games so feel free to schedule a heavyweight out of conference schedule. Automatic out of conference wins won't help you any more. But ND needs to join the conference to make this work from everyone's perspective. And with 5 conferences this doesn't work without 3 additional wildcard teams which I think they are trying to avoid. So, I think they are trying to come to an agreement on which Big 12 teams go to which conferences which is why Stech keeps saying realignment isn't finished and the Presidents still have a big role to play. And it won't be just about football strength. Fire away!!

Quote Originally Posted by Freddyburg Hokie View Post
    You cannot escape the GOR. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.
    "Revolution rock, it is a brand new rock. A bad, bad rock, this here revolution rock."

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    Do you think that FSU would sign without the condition being delivered? In fact, I doubt any ACC school would sign without feeling like it is delivered.
    So basically something someday will happen to make ACC football better or more lucrative. When it does, and we all know that something will happen, you can come back and say "see I told you something big was coming." Not exactly a genius level prognostication.

Why not tell the board what you think will happen. You know actually make a prediction. Just saying something will happen could be done by a 2 year old.
    I don't always talk to UVa Grads but when I do I always order the Large Fries.

Quote Originally Posted by hokiebob01 View Post
    So basically something someday will happen to make ACC football better or more lucrative. When it does, and we all know that something will happen, you can come back and say "see I told you something big was coming." Not exactly a genius level prognostication.

Why not tell the board what you think will happen. You know actually make a prediction. Just saying something will happen could be done by a 2 year old.
    Swofford has now set the ACC up for success (GOR agreement, $20+ Million/school ESPN deal, and likely ACC Network). It is now up to the ACC to make it happen with a better football product on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    Swofford has now set the ACC up for success (GOR agreement, $20+ Million/school ESPN deal, and likely ACC Network). It is now up to the ACC to make it happen with a better football product on the field.
    i would be shocked if part of ESPN's expanded $$ agreement wasn't that they requested more "marquee" matchups. whether it be a 9 game league schedule, division realignment, new scheduling format, etc, something was probably done to ensure more matchups between FSU, Clemson, Miami, VT, UNC, Syracuse, (laugh all you want, the ACC needs to battle the B1G for college football headlines in NYC metro), and GT. maybe add L'ville into that mix with their recent success and new contract for their coach.

i posted a proposed division realignment before that basically swapped out FSU and GT with some crossover changes to accomplish this.

i think it looked like this:

Coastal / Atlantic
    VT - GT
    FSU - Clemson
    Miami - BC
    uva - l'ville
    UNC - NCSU
    dook - wake
    Pitt - 'cuse

If we wanted to follow in B1G's footsteps to go geographical, a curved line through the mid-atlantic could give us:

North / South
    BC - Miami
    'Cuse - Clemson
    Pitt - GT
    uva - VT
    unc - ncsu
    dook - wake
    l'ville - FSU

the latter is obviously unbalanced, but it preserves most, if not all, key rivalries and gives ESPN some awesome inventory of games. i would actually guess someone from the North would step up most years to be a top team and represent the division well even if it isn't deep with good teams year to year.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

I actually really like you Atlantic / Coastal alignment. Only downside is we have to keep the silly names.

Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    i would be shocked if part of ESPN's expanded $$ agreement wasn't that they requested more "marquee" matchups. whether it be a 9 game league schedule, division realignment, new scheduling format, etc, something was probably done to ensure more matchups between FSU, Clemson, Miami, VT, UNC, Syracuse, (laugh all you want, the ACC needs to battle the B1G for college football headlines in NYC metro), and GT. maybe add L'ville into that mix with their recent success and new contract for their coach.

i posted a proposed division realignment before that basically swapped out FSU and GT with some crossover changes to accomplish this.

Coastal / Atlantic
    VT - GT
    FSU - Clemson
    Miami - BC
    uva - l'ville
    UNC - NCSU
    dook - wake
    Pitt - 'cuse

If we wanted to follow in B1G's footsteps to go geographical, a curved line through the mid-atlantic could give us:

North / South
    BC - Miami
    'Cuse - Clemson
    Pitt - GT
    uva - VT
    unc - ncsu
    dook - wake
    l'ville - FSU

the latter is obviously unbalanced, but it preserves most, if not all, key rivalries and gives ESPN some awesome inventory of games. i would actually guess someone from the North would step up most years to be a top team and represent the division well even if it isn't deep with good teams year to year.

Coastal / Atlantic
    VT - GT
    FSU - Clemson
    Miami - BC
    uva - l'ville
    UNC - NCSU
    dook - wake
    Pitt - 'cuse

North / South
    BC - Miami
    'Cuse - Clemson
    Pitt - GT
    uva - VT
    unc - ncsu
    dook - wake
    l'ville - FSU

Here's my proposed divisions with crossovers: That way we minimize Dook (no longer divisional game) and Wake on our schedule. I always wanted a rivalry with NC State since we're both land-grant universities with a lot in common. Plus we get Clemson every year as a crossover and continue rivalries with Miami and UVa. BC and Cuse wouldn't be on the road the same year. Maybe I would switch BC with Louisville but I like balancing out the other division with another top 25 team with CU and FSU since Tech's division already has UNC and Miami.

UNC-Duke
    NCSU-Wake
    VT-Clemson
    UVa-GT
    Miami-FSU
    Cuse-Pitt
    BC-Lville

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    Here's my proposed divisions with crossovers: That way we minimize Dook (no longer divisional game) and Wake on our schedule. I always wanted a rivalry with NC State since we're both land-grant universities with a lot in common. Plus we get Clemson every year as a crossover and continue rivalries with Miami and UVa. BC and Cuse wouldn't be on the road the same year. Maybe I would switch BC with Louisville but I like balancing out the other division with another top 25 team with CU and FSU since Tech's division already has UNC and Miami.

UNC-Duke
    NCSU-Wake
    VT-Clemson
    UVa-GT
    Miami-FSU
    Cuse-Pitt
    BC-Lville
    only issue i see with this is Clemson - NCSU is missing. i'm not that familiar with that rivalry, but friends who attended Clemson seem to discuss it from time to time. we can't all have what we want...
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

only issue i see with this is Clemson - NCSU is missing. i'm not that familiar with that rivalry, but friends who attended Clemson seem to discuss it from time to time. we can't all have what we want...
    NC State-Clemson have the Carolina Textile connection that goes back to after WW2. Back when the Southeast became the textile capital of the world (after Northeastern/New England mills relocated to VA, NC, SC, GA in the 1950's and 1960's), both NC State and Clemson were major players in textile research and education, thus the rivalry between schools.

...If we wanted to follow in B1G's footsteps to go geographical, a curved line through the mid-atlantic could give us:

North / South
    BC - Miami
    'Cuse - Clemson
    Pitt - GT
    uva - VT
    unc - ncsu
    dook - wake
    l'ville - FSU

In a North/South divisional split, thinking non-parochially, I would put Miami and VT in the North, and put UNC and Duke in the South. It's back where we came from (Big East), but that's really the only way to do it.
    No trees were harmed in the making of this post. However, billions of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.