Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

This is a major difference in opinion

I guess you want performance based conference rather than we are in it together

Sorry that is not the vision of the acc- it's University presidents and board of visitors. It's a collaborative membership of like minded university working together for excellence in academics athletics and research . It's very collaborative group of the brightest universities in the nation. However they got great brand and will generate very good revenue streams.

With the vision it is not just an athletic factory.

If any of the fan bases desire a more sec big 12 perspective it's not in the cards for acc schools. I would recommend finding new teams to support. You will just be frustrated

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4vt View Post
    Not true. FSU, Clemson, VT, etc... deserve more money than Vandy, Iowa, or Oregon St. This conference has not been good for them. It HAS been good to the dead weight teams these football powers are dragging along. UNC, UVA, and Duke probably carry their own weight in bball revenue and name recognition. But, BC, Wake, NC St., GT, probably drag the league down. They don't have FANS. And particularly, not enough fball fans that will travel to bowls and draw ESPN viewers. They just don't. FSU, VT, Miami, and Clemson do. For what Miami lacks in bowl travelers, they make up for in being a TV draw. So yes, FSU can point to the ACC when it comes to why they are lacking in money. If they were in the SEC or B1G, they would be pulling in over $10 million more per year, deservedly so.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie83 View Post
    see responses below each of your questions
    wait, are you saying the $20M+ does or does not include the ND games? i had assumed this WAS the new ESPN deal with L'ville and ND being calculated in already.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

I think it does, final deal has not been announced to my knowledge, just specualtion by a couple of reporters

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post

Sorry that is not the vision of the acc- it's University presidents and board of visitors. It's a collaborative membership of like minded university working together for excellence in academics athletics and research . It's very collaborative group of the brightest universities in the nation. However they got great brand and will generate very good revenue streams.

If any of the fan bases desire a more sec big 12 perspective it's not in the cards for acc schools. I would recommend finding new teams to support. You will just be frustrated
    Post of the day.

I think it does, final deal has not been announced to my knowledge, just specualtion by a couple of reporters
    Hokie83, are you able to respond to Stech's question two threads below this one? He said you might be at liberty to shed some light on my questions.

Quote Originally Posted by wasris View Post
    --where does ACC stand right now in conference payout for each team??
    supposedly each Team will be bumped to little over 20 mil on 7/1/13
    --can new ACC contract be updated with ND 5 game commitment or is that included now??
    Yes and has been in discussions for a few months
    --SEC looks for new TV sets. Where do they go?? Can they realistically still go to VA or NC??
    Not sure how they do it now
    --if ACC has the best TV footprint shouldn't an ACC network bring the ACC more money than any conference?
    Should have potential to be lucrative and will bump Revenues, ACC basketball helps in that regards, but personally I think all the TV Deals have been over valued in what people project they will bring in..jmo
    APPRECIATE information and comments.
    see responses below each of your questions
    Maybe that cleans it up a little better?
    *.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. *.*.*.*.*.*

I just wish we would STOP with the zone blocking read option crap and line up in the I, put a hat on a hat and run the tailback behind the fullback through a designated gosh-danged hole. There is NO REASON why this program shouldn't be able to find 5 fat guys who can move some people out of the way and clear a lane for a back to get through!

Heard a few things but nothing I can verify or would want to post at this point to be honest..

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post

Dude, I grew up 5 miles from campus and graduated from VT. And what we're talking about here is an "athletic conference." And other than the B1G's CIC, I find little support for the theory that these callaborations of universities are anything more than that. I imagine those in charge of VT like rubbing elbows with the leadership of Duke, UNC, UVA, etc... But, that's about all I see benefiting MY SCHOOL from being in the ACC. There's that itty bitty study abroad collaboration, but is that worth seeing MY beloved Hokies become a second class athletics program? Heck, I would imagine if I forked over the dough I could study abroad through nearly any university I wanted to anyhow. And BTW, our working with Maryland at the veterinary school hasn't changed in the least bit by their leaving the ACC. And we had programs with Wake and UVA well before our ACC addition. Again, the decision makers have benefited greatly by this, but has the school. We'll see how it does if the Hokies become an ECU level program in the future. That could sting.

Quote Originally Posted by daveinop View Post
    FSU declined SEC membership. When opportunities arise, you have to take them. FSU elected to be a very large football fish in a very small pond. Their financial management decisions, like Maryland's, are their own. Lil' ole, stuck in the middle of nowhere VT, operates in the black.

The ACC has been fantastic for VT. Did Swafford screw the pooch on the last TV deal? I think so. Has he course corrected? Sure looks like it. Adding Syracuse and Pitt killed the Big East and gave the ACC unparalleled leverage with ESPN. He was blind sided by Maryland leaving and not getting Rutgers, who the ACC also wanted. But he cut off the Big 12 and sealed the basketball deal by adding Louisville. He also cut off the B1G by getting all of the publicly traded ND stock. And he has forced ESPN back to the table by owning all of their quality winter programming. The SEC game of the week isn't worth very much in February.

Do I like Swafford? No, he is a pawn of UNC. Would I like to see VT play football in the SEC? Yes. Is VT in in better shape in the ACC than the SEC? Probably. There is a reason all those schools didn't leave.
    FSU and Clemson didn't leave merely because of their unfortunate geography. They, along with Miami probably, would bolt for the SEC in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Jessup View Post
    Vanderbilt will soon make much more in conference tv money than USC. Bruce Hornsby. Virginia Tech is absolutely thrilled to be in the ACC. You can pout all you want about the quality of teams we play or the conference tv payout (which is just a part of our financial picture athletically and academically) but it won't change. You are speaking from a classic fan perspective.
    Not pouting, just suggesting Swofford is no hero. We SHOULD expect more out of Greensboro.