Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Maybe Swofford could've negotiated a better TV deal last time. However, he's not responsible for VT's bowl game and OOC flameouts, FSU's decline, Miami's decline and impending probabtion, UMD's money mismanagement, the fact that BC, GT, and Wake don't have any fans, the inability of UNC to win big while cheating massively, etc ad infinitum.

If the ACC wants to reap all the benefits of high profile college football the conference needs to get better.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4vt View Post
    A cliff that his mismanagement led them to.

Some financial and reallignment questions...

If you call negotiating a ridiculously undervalued TV contract stabilizing. The ACC was the most profitable league 10 years ago, and it's been down hill ever since. They've made blunder after blunder, and got saved by outside forces from making another HUGE one in taking Cuse over VT. He signed a TV deal that was made to look ridiculous by the one signed by the Pac12 just a few months later.
    --where does ACC stand right now in conference payout for each team??
    --can new ACC contract be updated with ND 5 game commitment or is that included now??
    --SEC looks for new TV sets. Where do they go?? Can they realistically still go to VA or NC??
    --if ACC has the best TV footprint shouldn't an ACC network bring the ACC more money than any conference?

APPRECIATE information and comments.
    John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by mancunian View Post
    Maybe Swofford could've negotiated a better TV deal last time. However, he's not responsible for VT's bowl game and OOC flameouts, FSU's decline, Miami's decline and impending probabtion, UMD's money mismanagement, the fact that BC, GT, and Wake don't have any fans, the inability of UNC to win big while cheating massively, etc ad infinitum.

If the ACC wants to reap all the benefits of high profile college football the conference needs to get better.
    Even w/ those blemishes, FSU, Miami, and VT earn their keep and deserve more money. VT's willing to accept less due to it's GREAT location for ACC sports and academic ties. FSU and Miami would both jump SEC or B1G in a heart beat.

FSU declined SEC membership. When opportunities arise, you have to take them. FSU elected to be a very large football fish in a very small pond. Their financial management decisions, like Maryland's, are their own. Lil' ole, stuck in the middle of nowhere VT, operates in the black.

The ACC has been fantastic for VT. Did Swafford screw the pooch on the last TV deal? I think so. Has he course corrected? Sure looks like it. Adding Syracuse and Pitt killed the Big East and gave the ACC unparalleled leverage with ESPN. He was blind sided by Maryland leaving and not getting Rutgers, who the ACC also wanted. But he cut off the Big 12 and sealed the basketball deal by adding Louisville. He also cut off the B1G by getting all of the publicly traded ND stock. And he has forced ESPN back to the table by owning all of their quality winter programming. The SEC game of the week isn't worth very much in February.

Do I like Swafford? No, he is a pawn of UNC. Would I like to see VT play football in the SEC? Yes. Is VT in in better shape in the ACC than the SEC? Probably. There is a reason all those schools didn't leave.

Not true. FSU, Clemson, VT, etc... deserve more money than Vandy, Iowa, or Oregon St. This conference has not been good for them. It HAS been good to the dead weight teams these football powers are dragging along. UNC, UVA, and Duke probably carry their own weight in bball revenue and name recognition. But, BC, Wake, NC St., GT, probably drag the league down. They don't have FANS. And particularly, not enough fball fans that will travel to bowls and draw ESPN viewers. They just don't. FSU, VT, Miami, and Clemson do. For what Miami lacks in bowl travelers, they make up for in being a TV draw. So yes, FSU can point to the ACC when it comes to why they are lacking in money. If they were in the SEC or B1G, they would be pulling in over $10 million more per year, deservedly so.

Quote Originally Posted by wasris View Post
    --where does ACC stand right now in conference payout for each team??
    supposedly each Team will be bumped to little over 20 mil on 7/1/13
    --can new ACC contract be updated with ND 5 game commitment or is that included now??
    Yes and has been in discussions for a few months
    --SEC looks for new TV sets. Where do they go?? Can they realistically still go to VA or NC??
    Not sure how they do it now
    --if ACC has the best TV footprint shouldn't an ACC network bring the ACC more money than any conference?
    Should have potential to be lucrative and will bump Revenues, ACC basketball helps in that regards, but personally I think all the TV Deals have been over valued in what people project they will bring in..jmo

APPRECIATE information and comments.
    see responses below each of your questions

A masterful job? He's the reason they considered leaving. And believe me, he got lucky that FSU and Clemson are limited with their other options. And he also got lucky that UVA is so well off financially. FSU and Clemson would jump in a minute to the SEC. It's flat out ridiculous that it has ever even come to this. And believe me, if they had gotten Cuse instead of VT, he may have ended up taking the most profitable conference to virtual non-existence in 10 years. THEY STILL HAVEN'T GRASPED THAT FBALL PAYS THE BILLS.
    I realize UNC and Duke can get by on bball, but a whole league can't. Look no further than the now non-existent BigEast. He's the reason we're in this mess and had VT not been added, this thing might have been done for. If Clemson, FSU, UVA broke away, then Miami, VT, GT, etc... would be gone too. And the NC schools could joint the Catholic 7 and give up on bigtime football.
    I am with you chuck4vt! I also am NOT rejoicing that we are stuck (IMO) in the ACC for life; or so it seems. I realize I'm in a tiny minority, but I think this is, and always WILL BE, a second rate conference when it comes to football. I think VT has more than peaked here, and the SEC will continue to cherry pick the largest number of BIG-time recruits. Basketball aficionados, of which I am NOT one, will rejoice...I'll just have to accept the inevitable. ...

Quote Originally Posted by VT75 View Post
    Swofford deserves credit for getting Notre Dame in the fold and stabilizing the league.

The way I read the article though is that the SEC deciding not to double up in Florida and South Carolina was probably the biggest factor. Once the SEC made that decision the alternative of the Big 12 just isn't attractive for a southern team. The B1G wasn't interested in FSU or Clemson either but again a couple of southern teams culturally and geographically changing to the midwest wasn't going to happen.
    The SEC's "decision" not to double up in Florida or South Carolina is hardly anytime new...THAT is why VT and the State of Virginia looked so attractive...but alas, THAT ship has long since sailed.

I will always wonder "what if" FSU had been the SEC's choice instead of Mizzou

Maybe all it would have taken was the U. of Florida and some key politicians getting behind them, similar to what happened with us and UVA back in 2003. And FSU's athletic department was seriously in the red, and would have jumped at the chance.

At any rate, I think it would have set in motion a chain of events that would have destroyed the ACC. The ACC would not have learned their lesson about insisting on academic standards at this point, so FSU's replacement would have been UConn instead of a football draw like WVU. Losing FSU and adding UConn, Pitt, & Syracuse would have been completely unacceptable to Clemson, and they would have left for the Big12 at around the time those rumors started flying last summer. After that, it would have been open season on the ACC, with the Big12 and Big10 taking whatever teams they wanted at will.

Vanderbilt will soon make much more in conference tv money than USC. Bruce Hornsby. Virginia Tech is absolutely thrilled to be in the ACC. You can pout all you want about the quality of teams we play or the conference tv payout (which is just a part of our financial picture athletically and academically) but it won't change. You are speaking from a classic fan perspective.

Not true. FSU, Clemson, VT, etc... deserve more money than Vandy, Iowa, or Oregon St. This conference has not been good for them. It HAS been good to the dead weight teams these football powers are dragging along. UNC, UVA, and Duke probably carry their own weight in bball revenue and name recognition. But, BC, Wake, NC St., GT, probably drag the league down. They don't have FANS. And particularly, not enough fball fans that will travel to bowls and draw ESPN viewers. They just don't. FSU, VT, Miami, and Clemson do. For what Miami lacks in bowl travelers, they make up for in being a TV draw. So yes, FSU can point to the ACC when it comes to why they are lacking in money. If they were in the SEC or B1G, they would be pulling in over $10 million more per year, deservedly so.

This is Swofford at his best

There is no ego big guy like dulany or Scott . He works very very closely with the presidents and board of trustees athletic directors. He works quietly and has several working committees - the committee of 12 4- presidents 4 and 4 faculty members .

Lots of folks in the message boards and sports media under appreciates this skill but it is essential in building a holisitic collaborative team.

My guess is if the new president from Maryland and ad who came from Illinois and West Point / cal, who are not use to method of operatins, just talked their comcerns with swofford it woildnt have ended with them lewving. they made a decision without any discussions or questions. They made decision in a stovepipe.

Life moves on
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    It's a very interesting read about Swofford's efforts to keep FSU on board with the ACC. Also says Swofford met numerous times with UVa and Clemson the past year.

http://www.tallahassee.com/article/2...nclick_check=1