Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

Article on Swofford and Meetings with FSU

It's a very interesting read about Swofford's efforts to keep FSU on board with the ACC. Also says Swofford met numerous times with UVa and Clemson the past year.

http://www.tallahassee.com/article/2...nclick_check=1

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    It's a very interesting read about Swofford's efforts to keep FSU on board with the ACC. Also says Swofford met numerous times with UVa and Clemson the past year.

Swofford clearly did a masterful job of talking Florida State back off the cliff.

Quote Originally Posted by 133304Hokie View Post
    Swofford clearly did a masterful job of talking Florida State back off the cliff.
    He sure did. I wonder what he said to UVa and Clemson? I guess all the rumors about FSU's and Clemson's interest in the Big 12 and the Big 10 having a serious interest in UVa are true. Why else would Swofford spend so much time with those 3 schools. Georgia Tech and UNC aren't mentioned in the article. Virginia Tech was probably committed to the ACC the entire time as confirmed with all of Tech's comments (Steger, Weaver, and Hincker) on the matter. It's also looking like the ACC network will finally become a reality.

Well yeah.

A cliff that his mismanagement led them to.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4vt View Post
    A cliff that his mismanagement led them to.
    That can be debated. Florida State has nobody to blame but Florida State.

Swofford deserves credit for getting Notre Dame in the fold and stabilizing the league.

The way I read the article though is that the SEC deciding not to double up in Florida and South Carolina was probably the biggest factor. Once the SEC made that decision the alternative of the Big 12 just isn't attractive for a southern team. The B1G wasn't interested in FSU or Clemson either but again a couple of southern teams culturally and geographically changing to the midwest wasn't going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamburger View Post
    That can be debated. Florida State has nobody to blame but Florida State.
    Not true. FSU, Clemson, VT, etc... deserve more money than Vandy, Iowa, or Oregon St. This conference has not been good for them. It HAS been good to the dead weight teams these football powers are dragging along. UNC, UVA, and Duke probably carry their own weight in bball revenue and name recognition. But, BC, Wake, NC St., GT, probably drag the league down. They don't have FANS. And particularly, not enough fball fans that will travel to bowls and draw ESPN viewers. They just don't. FSU, VT, Miami, and Clemson do. For what Miami lacks in bowl travelers, they make up for in being a TV draw. So yes, FSU can point to the ACC when it comes to why they are lacking in money. If they were in the SEC or B1G, they would be pulling in over $10 million more per year, deservedly so.

Quote Originally Posted by VT75 View Post
    Swofford deserves credit for getting Notre Dame in the fold and stabilizing the league.

The way I read the article though is that the SEC deciding not to double up in Florida and South Carolina was probably the biggest factor. Once the SEC made that decision the alternative of the Big 12 just isn't attractive for a southern team. The B1G wasn't interested in FSU or Clemson either but again a couple of southern teams culturally and geographically changing to the midwest wasn't going to happen.
    If you call negotiating a ridiculously undervalued TV contract stabilizing. The ACC was the most profitable league 10 years ago, and it's been down hill ever since. They've made blunder after blunder, and got saved by outside forces from making another HUGE one in taking Cuse over VT. He signed a TV deal that was made to look ridiculous by the one signed by the Pac12 just a few months later.

He sure did. I wonder what he said to UVa and Clemson? I guess all the rumors about FSU's and Clemson's interest in the Big 12 and the Big 10 having a serious interest in UVa are true. Why else would Swofford spend so much time with those 3 schools. Georgia Tech and UNC aren't mentioned in the article. Virginia Tech was probably committed to the ACC the entire time as confirmed with all of Tech's comments (Steger, Weaver, and Hincker) on the matter. It's also looking like the ACC network will finally become a reality.
    A masterful job? He's the reason they considered leaving. And believe me, he got lucky that FSU and Clemson are limited with their other options. And he also got lucky that UVA is so well off financially. FSU and Clemson would jump in a minute to the SEC. It's flat out ridiculous that it has ever even come to this. And believe me, if they had gotten Cuse instead of VT, he may have ended up taking the most profitable conference to virtual non-existence in 10 years. THEY STILL HAVEN'T GRASPED THAT FBALL PAYS THE BILLS.
    I realize UNC and Duke can get by on bball, but a whole league can't. Look no further than the now non-existent BigEast. He's the reason we're in this mess and had VT not been added, this thing might have been done for. If Clemson, FSU, UVA broke away, then Miami, VT, GT, etc... would be gone too. And the NC schools could joint the Catholic 7 and give up on bigtime football.