Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I agree. I hope so anyway. As I mentioned on the sub bd., I wish this could have gotten done in January. That would allow us to negotiate the MD exit fee down, get them put of the league now rather than 2014 and get Louisville in this season. To late for that now though.

Quote Originally Posted by mancunian View Post
    That's the first thing that popped into my head. There must be a pretty big incentive coming to get all the schools to actually agree to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Touchdown View Post
    Nice, but probably not any more enforceable from a legal standpoint than the exit fee.
    I'm not sure why people keep repeating this. There are very few types of agreements that are per se invalid, and this is not one of them. The question in most of these cases is not enforceability, but the will and resources to enforce.
    Last edited by lawhokie; Mon Apr 22 2013 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    I'm not sure why people keep repeating this. There are very few types of agreements that are per se invalid, and this is not one of them. The question in most of these cases is no enforceability, but the will and resources to enforce.
    and if you are the school leaving, once you announce to leave, you are putting up to $300M in revenue in the court's hands. if you lose, there is no turning back. that is FAR more significant than putting $50M on the line with exit fees. the risk becomes too great at some point. after all, has anyone EVER gotten out of exit fees? no, they haven't. they simply settle for some amount both parties agree to that is a win/win to keep it out of a judge's hands.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

Here's a tweet from Jeremy Fowler (CBS Sports):

Jeremy Fowler‏@JFowlerCBS17m
    #ACC file updated: GOR finalized, league to make more than $20M per school per year starting July 1.

I'd say the Dud of WV is shipping his pants about right now since he predicted just a few days ago the ACC to lose a minimum of 4-6 teams.
    "It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first." Ronald Reagan

I wonder how ND factors in to all of this.

Ugh...another two decades in the least forward thinking of the major conferences.
    When replying to a specific post, use Reply With Quote

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    It was reported that fsu gt and vt was against this. Wonder what the change happened? Also interesting -- also all 15 school including notre same. Wow.. And last interesting with louisville who has a huge 2nd and 3rd tier deal with leerfield sports. They have to cancel once they join the acc
    There is no change...all the other noise was just rumors. The ACC Presidents are right where they have always been

Quote Originally Posted by avhokie View Post
    Ugh...another two decades in the least forward thinking of the major conferences.
    Yes, that's exactly what recent developments tell us...sheesh. Maybe the one with the fewest leaks.

Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    i don't think anyone (outside of umd President which i'm still shaking my head at) liked any other option more than they liked the ACC. the only thing missing was comparable TV money for a league with a dominant media market footprint. that issue is almost certainly going to be buttoned up and announced this summer, but my guess is that the presidents already have some insight into what it will be.

i truly believe this will kick off a period of stability among the top 5 leagues for the duration of the 12 year post season contract which begins in 2014-15. everyone but the B1G has their TV deals buttoned up (B1G gets new deals in 2016-17) including ND, so i think the umd, rutgers and l'ville moves will be the last for 10+ years. when negotiations for the next post season contract(s) and TV contracts all come back up around the same time, we'll need to keep an eye on the Longhorns...they will be the trigger for any future changes IMO.
    The only move left is to grow the field. It's already up from 63(2002) to 65 (2014). Cherry pick some AAC or MWC as the programs develop over the next few years and happen to be sitting in the right media markets. UConn, USF, UCF,Cinncy, UNLV, UNR, UNM,CSU,BYU, Boise are the programs to watch. These athletic programs will need to bring mroe to the table than just football.
    BCS level college football is a resource war, not a morality play.

Good. If Jim Delany wants to expand now, he'll have to grab UConn and some other undesirable. Looks like the GOR and exit fee (if $25 Million) pretty much ends the hopes of raiding the ACC. Now the ball is in Texas' court. What will they do? Will they try to join the ACC or Big 10? Will they renew talks with Pac 12 commissioner Larry Scott? Will the Big 12 add Cincinnati, USF, BYU, or some other schools? The reason I ask? Because the Big 12 is now the most likely of the AQ FBS conferences to either expand, break up, or be raided by the Pac 12 and Big 10.

I also believe this latest news out of the ACC is pointing towards an ACC Network deal with ESPN.