Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Report all 15 acc schools sign guarantee of rights

Seems like it may be a precursor to forming an ACC network.

Interesting timing. Before ACC tv renogotiation announced. Before MD lawsuit settled. Before formal SEC tv announcement (I believe). What changed for the schools to agree to this? A significantly upped ACC contract? Certain schools realizing that they do not like their other options? Wonder which big school led the charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Jessup View Post
    Interesting timing. Before ACC tv renogotiation announced. Before MD lawsuit settled. Before formal SEC tv announcement (I believe). What changed for the schools to agree to this? A significantly upped ACC contract? Certain schools realizing that they do not like their other options? Wonder which big school led the charge.
    i don't think anyone (outside of umd President which i'm still shaking my head at) liked any other option more than they liked the ACC. the only thing missing was comparable TV money for a league with a dominant media market footprint. that issue is almost certainly going to be buttoned up and announced this summer, but my guess is that the presidents already have some insight into what it will be.

i truly believe this will kick off a period of stability among the top 5 leagues for the duration of the 12 year post season contract which begins in 2014-15. everyone but the B1G has their TV deals buttoned up (B1G gets new deals in 2016-17) including ND, so i think the umd, rutgers and l'ville moves will be the last for 10+ years. when negotiations for the next post season contract(s) and TV contracts all come back up around the same time, we'll need to keep an eye on the Longhorns...they will be the trigger for any future changes IMO.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

Nice, but probably not any more enforceable from a legal standpoint than the exit fee.

New ACC deal could halt conference realignment for a long tme

This ends conference expansion, at least in regards to anyone potentially leaving the ACC. Not only would the school leaving forfeit about $300M in TV revenue, but the new conference would not get any of their TV money til this contract runs out. It has essentially made all ACC schools untouchable.

Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    we'll need to keep an eye on the Longhorns...they will be the trigger for any future changes IMO.
    I've thought this all along, but if this next round of negotiations go well for the ACC, UT may look east instead of west.

http://www.techsideline.com/forums/s...468#post739468

Be interesting what got this consensus

It was reported that fsu gt and vt was against this. Wonder what the change happened? Also interesting -- also all 15 school including notre same. Wow.. And last interesting with louisville who has a huge 2nd and 3rd tier deal with leerfield sports. They have to cancel once they join the acc

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Jessup View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie_CLT View Post
    Seems like it may be a precursor to forming an ACC network.
    That's the first thing that popped into my head. There must be a pretty big incentive coming to get all the schools to actually agree to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    It was reported that fsu gt and vt was against this. Wonder what the change happened? Also interesting -- also all 15 school including notre same. Wow.. And last interesting with louisville who has a huge 2nd and 3rd tier deal with leerfield sports. They have to cancel once they join the acc
    why do they have to cancel? we have a deal in place with IMG worth several $$Million per year. UNC has a 3rd tier deal worth north of $10M. they may need to adjust some things with regards to football and MBB, but as it stands today, nothing prevents any ACC school from having their own media deal for what's left after the ESPN deal.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC