Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

WELL.... at least they'll have the money to operate other sports....bball seemed to be their sport of choice & success anyway....so may not be big loss to alums

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4vt View Post
    Well, they'll have a boatload more of it. I've told people before about myself, that my problem with financial planning wouldn't be so bad if I made more money
    True, but some folks still find a way to blow it.

Quote Originally Posted by Femoyer Hokie View Post
    I am so jealous of MD's conference schedule!
    We get to see if losing to higher quality opponents draws higher attendance than playing opponents who are you competitive equals.

IMO the latter is true over the long run, after a bump the first 1-2 home games vs each opponent.
    Two data points in my favor:
    VT basketball vs UNC and Duke. Attendance was up in the early years and stayed there as long as the fanbase saw VT as competitive with UNC and Duke. This year, attendance vs Duke nose dived. Even though it was Duke, the place was 1/4 empty.

Temple was drawing less than 10k per game in the Big East in the early 2000's. After moving to the MAC where they were competitive, attendance went up over 20K per game. Lesser competition, but the Owls had a chance to win, folks showed up.
    BCS level college football is a resource war, not a morality play.

Quote Originally Posted by Femoyer Hokie View Post
    I am so jealous of MD's conference schedule!
    If Va Tech was located in the Mid-West, I would agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamburger View Post
    If Va Tech was located in the Mid-West, I would agree.
    I'd be more excited about playing those schools than the 5 closest conference opponents we now have. And Radford college is closer than other ACC schools but that doesn't mean I prefer playing them.

I know there are a lot of pro-ACC and anti-MD folks on this board. I am glad we got in the ACC and I wish MD hadn't left but I don't hesitate to admit their football schedule will be worlds better than ours year in and year out. Unqualified. Having said that, did they make a mistake overall. Maybe.

Who cares who you play if you don't stand a chance at winning most of the games? We could play the SEC East at Lane and after catching a beat-down the first couple years I doubt people would be lining up to see more of it.