Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Whisky and CornHeads schedule is going to be 2nd rate- they will have semi-annual byes into the League Championship game

Quote Originally Posted by IAHokie View Post
    Big boy football, similar competition if VT joined the SEC
    It depends on Maryland coaching and recruiting. Ohio State will always be tough to beat. OSU should win close to 90% of the meetings. Michigan will likely beat them 80% of the time. Penn State won't be as good with all their scholarship limitations so the Terps should be able to at least split with then the first 3 or 4 seasons. Michigan State is up and down and will probably win 67% of the games against the Terps. They should win 67-75% of their games against Indiana and split with Rutgers. We should know after 3 or 4 Big 10 seasons how well Maryland will do with recruiting and play on the field. Big 10 membership and money could actually be a giant boost to their program. On the negative side, College Park is located in a pro-NFL area where there's little love for college football. I agree with the poster who said Maryland will host Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan at FedEx Field to make even more money from the the visiting fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Truthahn View Post
    http://espn.go.com/college-football/...st-sources-say

Looks like Maryland will have losses to MSU, Mich, OSU, and PSU every year from now on. Hard to get bowl eligible with that schedule, especially considering Rutgers is pretty good now. They will need no more than 2 losses in their remaining 7 games, including Rutgers, Indiana, and another B1G team, just to get to a bad bowl game. Their OOC schedule needs to be a parade of weak teams or they don't stand a chance, IMO. In years when that other B1G team is Wisconsin or Nebraska, Md will be toast.
    Heck, the ACC Divisions were harsh enough for them.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4vt View Post
    They will benefit greatly by the money, recruiting exposure, and overall fan interest that those games will provide. GREAT for them. they may actually sell some tickets.
    I would hope they would learn to manage their money better.

That is way too optimistic.

The PSU series record with Maryland is 35-1-1. That would have 20 more PSU wins except that they haven't played since 1993. Because of the sanctions, Maryland stands a chance their for the first couple of years. After that, it will be back to normal.

For the other three, I see little reason to think they would ever lose to Maryland. Maryland has a 21-2 record to FSU. I think those three (Michigan, Mich State, and Ohio State) will be like that. Nebraska and Wisconsin will also be like that, given Maryland five games in those years where Maryland will be a big underdog. In 2014 and 2015, Maryland had better hope they are not playing Neb or Wisconsin, or their wins against PSU when they are down won't count for much.

For Rutgers, I think Rutgers has much more upside than Maryland. Rutgers is used to being under-appreciated, just like we were when we joined the Big East. They have been one of the better teams in the Big East for 10 years to so now. They almost beat Louisville last year in their final regular season game. If they had won, they would have been in a BCS bowl game, something Maryland is very far away from right now. New Jersey kids can now look forward to playing in the Big 10, a huge step up from last year's Big East, that will help their recruiting a lot. For Maryland, they were already playing FSU and Clemson every year, and occasionally playing VT, UNC, Georgia Tech, so selling recruits on playing against great programs is what they have already been doing for a long time, without much luck. IMO, Rutgers will beat them more than not. Rutgers finally has their act together, even if most College football fans haven't figured that out yet.

I think Maryland will plug along with a .500 record for most years thanks to a very weak OOC schedule and few Big 10 wins, and be about the same as they have been for the past 10 years from here to eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    It depends on Maryland coaching and recruiting. Ohio State will always be tough to beat. OSU should win close to 90% of the meetings. Michigan will likely beat them 80% of the time. Penn State won't be as good with all their scholarship limitations so the Terps should be able to at least split with then the first 3 or 4 seasons. Michigan State is up and down and will probably win 67% of the games against the Terps. They should win 67-75% of their games against Indiana and split with Rutgers. We should know after 3 or 4 Big 10 seasons how well Maryland will do with recruiting and play on the field. Big 10 membership and money could actually be a giant boost to their program. On the negative side, College Park is located in a pro-NFL area where there's little love for college football. I agree with the poster who said Maryland will host Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan at FedEx Field to make even more money from the the visiting fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamburger View Post
    I would hope they would learn to manage their money better.
    Well, they'll have a boatload more of it. I've told people before about myself, that my problem with financial planning wouldn't be so bad if I made more money

Quote Originally Posted by Truthahn View Post
    The PSU series record with Maryland is 35-1-1. That would have 20 more PSU wins except that they haven't played since 1993. Because of the sanctions, Maryland stands a chance their for the first couple of years. After that, it will be back to normal.

For the other three, I see little reason to think they would ever lose to Maryland. Maryland has a 21-2 record to FSU. I think those three (Michigan, Mich State, and Ohio State) will be like that. Nebraska and Wisconsin will also be like that, given Maryland five games in those years where Maryland will be a big underdog. In 2014 and 2015, Maryland had better hope they are not playing Neb or Wisconsin, or their wins against PSU when they are down won't count for much.

For Rutgers, I think Rutgers has much more upside than Maryland. Rutgers is used to being under-appreciated, just like we were when we joined the Big East. They have been one of the better teams in the Big East for 10 years to so now. They almost beat Louisville last year in their final regular season game. If they had won, they would have been in a BCS bowl game, something Maryland is very far away from right now. New Jersey kids can now look forward to playing in the Big 10, a huge step up from last year's Big East, that will help their recruiting a lot. For Maryland, they were already playing FSU and Clemson every year, and occasionally playing VT, UNC, Georgia Tech, so selling recruits on playing against great programs is what they have already been doing for a long time, without much luck. IMO, Rutgers will beat them more than not. Rutgers finally has their act together, even if most College football fans haven't figured that out yet.

I think Maryland will plug along with a .500 record for most years thanks to a very weak OOC schedule and few Big 10 wins, and be about the same as they have been for the past 10 years from here to eternity.
    I think you meant Maryland was 2-21 vs. FSU, not 21-2. Michigan state isn't always that good. I pretty much said the same thing you said considering Oho State, Penn State, and Michigan. Ohio State has lost to mediocre teams like Northwestern and Purdue so a Maryland loss every 10 years isn't impossible. I don't think I'm being too optimistic. Maryland has "potential" and maybe all these projected Big 10 dollars will finally build a respectable football program. I see them having the same chances as Rutgers. Rutgers is just a little ahead of them right now. Randy Edsall is a good football coach. One problem both schools have always had is keeping their top talent from leaving their states. I don't ever expect that to change. Once Penn State is off probation, I expect them to go back to cherry picking the top talent from both of those states. They did during the Paterno era.

Quote Originally Posted by Femoyer Hokie View Post
    I am so jealous of MD's conference schedule!
    LOL. When I go on the Penn State board, several of them are jealous of Pitt's conference schedule. The grass may be always greener I guess.

Time will tell on recruiting. MD's 2013 Rivals Ranking was 33, and Maryland did not get a single Top 10 recruit from Maryland. VT and UVA got 3. Rutgers was 45, and Rutgers only got 1 top 10 recruit out of New Jersey.

I wonder if either school mentioned to recruits that they were going to the Big Ten. Granted they only knew for the last 2 months of recruiting season, but still.

The SEC would be much more difficult.