Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4vt View Post
    That would be AWESOME, but it brings zero dollars to Bburg. The home games are where the money's at, and you could host a hundred recruits to come and see it. Going to South Bend is cool, but it doesn't bring the tangible benefits a home game does. We would much rather play that game at home and we would much rather do so as soon as possible.
    Do we not get those benefits when ND does come to play in Blacksburg? What if ND was scheduled to come in 2014, do we then complain in 2018 about how it's been too long since the "bump"?

Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post
    Can't believe any of the upstarts got ND games before the "old money" ACC. If they were scheduling it properly, it would have been original ACC, followed by FSU, followed by VT & scUM, followed by BC, followed by Pitt & exCUSE, followed by Louisville.
    Contrary to the perceptions of those with a perpetual ax to grind, that's not how the ACC has operated since expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Jessup View Post
    Yeah, I really don't agree with the whining on this one. I'm just thrilled the Ohio State and Wisconsin games are still on. From 2013 - 2016 (4 year period) - we play Alabama, Ohio State twice, Wisconsin, and Notre Dame. Then there is another game with Wisconsin in 2017 and sounds like Weaver may be close to Penn State after that. Nice.

Back to Notre Dame -- Syracuse already had something set up with Notre Dame and you will notice two of ND's away games are taken by Syracuse, therefore, very few of the ACC teams were able to get home games this go around. But it will all even out.
    You realize we will practically NEVER be playing FSU or Clemson now, right? We gave up a road trip to FSU already this season and the ACC made it up to us by sending us to Miami for the second year in a row. But hey, we get Duke at home in a game that will surely kickoff at Noon! Those Clemson/FsU were/are the only really good ACC matchup we would have, and they won't be happening except twice per decade moving forward. We turned down a schedule filled with Florida, Tenn, UGA, USCE, and occasional games w/ Bama, LSU, AandM, Auburn, etc... And that's the conference games. Miami's a quality opponent we will play regularly and UNC and GT are decent, but other than that, our fball schedule will suck. We're going to be relying fully on nonconference games to make them decent from now on. Except when we play FSU, every 6 years. Anyhow, this ND thing was the only carrot I could see in the new ACC. And sure enough, we are the last team to benefit from it.

Quote Originally Posted by 133304Hokie View Post
    Do you consider the Big 12 to be a better conference?
    Nope, but the SEC sure is.

Quote Originally Posted by Row5Q View Post
    Contrary to the perceptions of those with a perpetual ax to grind, that's not how the ACC has operated since expansion.
    Since expressing an interest in leaving, Gboro has given FSU and some others everything they've asked for.

Quote Originally Posted by Row5Q View Post
    Do we not get those benefits when ND does come to play in Blacksburg? What if ND was scheduled to come in 2014, do we then complain in 2018 about how it's been too long since the "bump"?
    I seriously doubt that in 10 yrs these alignments will look the same. We may not even make to our 16 game with ND. Putting it off 6 years, which is the first chance we'll get to see ND in Bburg pretty much makes it a "possible" game, and at the 12 year mark, I would bet that NEVER happens. We'll get MAYBE one ND game in BBurg before things are shaken up quite a bit. Those 14 hosts of ND will LIKELY get a couple of them. Remember, a home game is worth at least $5 million. And a ND game could bring $10 million dollars into the NRV/VT/commonwealth. AND, it would be great for recruiting/exposure. And as was predicted, we will be last in line to benefit from it. And what else do we get from the ACC's recent moves, we will practically NEVER be hosting FSu or Clemson.

Nope, but the SEC sure is.
    There is no guarantee we get into the SEC. I'd probably say the odds of that are 50/50 if the ACC does break apart.

Quote Originally Posted by 133304Hokie View Post
    There is no guarantee we get into the SEC. I'd probably say the odds of that are 50/50 if the ACC does break apart.
    It's fairly common knowledge VT could have had Missouri's spot. That's been confirmed by VT and SEC insiders alike. But yes, moving forward, if the ACC truly crumbles, teams like UNC, UVA, NC ST., Duke, and maybe even FSU,Clemson,or Miami could be ahead of us in the pecking order. So if there is a total ACC implosion, which it would probably take for VT to consider an SEC offer, other teams and their politics could put them in front of us. So I would put us at a 50/50 deal. We COULD inch our way into the B1G somehow. Burrus would LOVE that one.
    Last edited by chuckd4vt; Sat Apr 20 2013 at 12:48 PM.

It's fairly common knowledge VT could have had Missouri's spot. That's been confirmed by VT and SEC insiders alike. But yes, moving forward, if the ACC truly crumbles, teams like UNC, UVA, NC ST., Duke, and maybe even FSU,Clemson,or Miami could be ahead of us in the pecking order. So if there is a total ACC implosion, which it would probably take for VT to consider an SEC offer, other teams and their politics could put them in front of us. So I would put us at a 50/50 deal. We COULD inch our way into the B1G somehow. Burrus would LOVE that one.
    I pretty much agree with your assessment. B1G is theoretically possible, but the lack of AAU membership makes it unlikely. Without AAU membership the odds of VT going to the B1G are considerably less than 50/50. If VT manages to attain AAU membership, then B1G membership becomes a much more likely possibility.

I know I hear that a lot, but the fact is there is zero real evidence VT ever had an invitation to the SEC. Just look at when we were dying to get the heck out of the Big Least... The fact is the SEC could have had us for a song, but they passed. Now we keep hearing it was common knowledge the SEC desired us several years later. Good story, but I'm not buying it.

"You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne