Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4vt View Post
    I don't have all the knowledge, but I do recognize the results out of Merryman and Greensboro haven't been very good lately. Other than football, and a few decent runs in various sports, there's not a ton of foresight been displayed in our AD. And the same can be said about Greensboro. I see little to suggest that anything they've done has benefited VT. We should be earning every bit as much money as schools like Kentucky and Illinois. This conference has not served our school well. And the real problem lies in the fact that most of the mistakes the ACC has made were predicted in places like Techsideline. We all thought VT was a better addition than Cuse. We all knew that BC was an awful addition to the ACC. We mostly agreed that the ACCCG should have been held in Charlotte as opposed to Florida. We nearly all noticed the signing away of tier 3 sports to ESPN for next to nothing would be problematic, the BigTen Network was already being proven quite valuable.

Anyhow, you don't need to know everything about some things to recognize when the results have sucked.
    Good Post

Quote Originally Posted by 133304Hokie View Post
    Miami is not a "sleeping giant". The sun has set on their football age. Sure, they may have 5 MNC's. Big deal, Yale has 27. Miami is a small(ish) private school competing in-state for recruits against 6 large state schools. In 10 years time they won't be able to sustain a successful football team any better than Wake Forest can now.
    Just based on recruiting potential alone, Miami will always be in the mix. Expect Miami to have peaks and valleys in their on field performance because they simply cannot afford to hire and KEEP top level coaching staff. IMO Golden is a pretty good fit for Miami, but if UM wins a couple of BCS level bowls and contends for MNC, then Golden will move on.

If Wake and Miami went to the BigXII, the ACC would be better off. The problem with the ACC is that there are too many skunk teams and not enough elite teams. And this isn't your father's Miami. Have you ever checked out a Miami home game on TV? I swear, there were about 300 people there when they played Bethune-Cookman. And even ACC conference games have more empty seats than filled. And don't even get me started on the probation angle. The schools that are most valuable to the ACC are also the ones that other conferences purportedly want (plus FSU and Clemson). This includes VT, UVa, and UNC.

Also, while we have benefited from the ACC elite being down, remember, we were pretty darn good before we got to the ACC. And our best year in the ACC was our first.
    Quote Originally Posted by seekoHoG View Post
    Remember VT was not on the ACC's hot list when they decided to expand. In fact I can name at least 5 schools who would be thrilled if VT moved to a new conference. VT benefited when FSU, UM and Clemson under performed and VT was able to raise its stock. Now that VT as taken as step back and FSU, and Clemson are on the rise, VT will take its proper place as a mid level conference team. Do not expect the ACC to show VT any extra love. In order of teams that the ACC wants to keep, VT is no better than 7th on the list; well behind the Carolina Four, Clemson, FSU, UVA and maybe Miami.

Another delusional hokie ,, Miami has national market interest

We can take all the personal bias out . The networks know that Miami is a national brand and they are located in a national tv market. Networks do not care about cheating grades or behavior but entertainment and market share.

The only reason vt got in the acc was engagement by the governor and state. Acc now has mechanism on place to prevent being held hostage by state politics

This is not the fifties and Hoosiers and Collegiate sports is basically semi professional sports. Therefore programs have to produce entertaining winning programs. Networks with the huge broadcast rights do not care about hokie cookies in the small southwest va.

Vt is fortunate to be in the acc but it can't be the welfare program sucking up conference revenues without any reinvestment to be competitive .

Miami is not a "sleeping giant". The sun has set on their football age. Sure, they may have 5 MNC's. Big deal, Yale has 27. Miami is a small(ish) private school competing in-state for recruits against 6 large state schools. In 10 years time they won't be able to sustain a successful football team any better than Wake Forest can now.

I'm delusional huh? If Miami ever wins another football national championship I'll be truly shocked. In the state of Florida, the best recruits are going to be going to Florida and Florida State. Hell, even UCF will probably be getting better in-state recruits going forward than Miami. Those teams are large, state schools with on-campus stadiums and fans that actually go to games to support their team.

What does Miami have? History? A large media market? Those things are nice, but that ain't gonna cut it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    We can take all the personal bias out . The networks know that Miami is a national brand and they are located in a national tv market. Networks do not care about cheating grades or behavior but entertainment and market share.

The only reason vt got in the acc was engagement by the governor and state. Acc now has mechanism on place to prevent being held hostage by state politics

This is not the fifties and Hoosiers and Collegiate sports is basically semi professional sports. Therefore programs have to produce entertaining winning programs. Networks with the huge broadcast rights do not care about hokie cookies in the small southwest va.

Vt is fortunate to be in the acc but it can't be the welfare program sucking up conference revenues without any reinvestment to be competitive .

I'm delusional huh? If Miami ever wins another football national championship I'll be truly shocked. In the state of Florida, the best recruits are going to be going to Florida and Florida State. Hell, even UCF will probably be getting better in-state recruits going forward than Miami. Those teams are large, state schools with on-campus stadiums and fans that actually go to games to support their team.

What does Miami have? History? A large media market? Those things are nice, but that ain't gonna cut it anymore.
    Miami's averaged a top 10 recruiting class the last few years. So has Florida and FSU, but they have more than enough talent to make a NC run. BTW, they have 2 five star and a couple of 4 star recruits committed to sign next January RIGHT NOW. They are still getting the players. With a little coaching and luck they will be in a lot of NC equations.

If Miami ever wins another football national championship I'll be truly shocked.
    Miami will contend for the MNC before any other ACC team not named Clemson, Florida State or Louisville. The problem for Miami is winning the MNC is as sure way to lose their coaching staff. Schools like Wake and Miami simply do not have the finances to compete with the large state schools who can pay their coaching staff Millions more. Miami is not going to lose many head to head recruiting battles with UCF or USF. Right now Miami is the 3rd best team in the state, and neither the Knights nor Bulls are even close.
    Last edited by seekoHoG; Sun Apr 21 2013 at 08:08 PM.

Miami will have money problems and they can't fix that. They don't own their own stadium, which probably cuts into athletic department revenue quite a bit. They have a small alumni base, and non-alumni typically don't donate. They are also relying on an ACC paycheck that doesn't stack up with the SEC, B1G, etc.

And you may notice UM's recruiting has dipped in recent years. For all of these reasons, I'd say UM's best days have come and gone. South Beach hoes have taken Miami as far as it will ever go imo. Sure, they have the talent to win a championship, but I'll have to see an ACC crown before I believe the U is (or could ever be) back.

Miami HAD a national brand. Could they get it back someday, sure... but the days of Miami being a perennial powerhouse are long since gone. They haven't appeared in a BCS bowl in ten seasons. Could they do so this year? Sure, maybe, but they're not going to be running a rampage through a conference anymore like they were in the past.

They can't pay players like they used to. The NCAA is all over them right now. Sure, they are grandstanding like the best of them, but in the end, they were figured out, they got caught, and now their biggest recruiting selling points are kind of taken away from them. They're a small school that has financial problems, they don't have a true home stadium, they routinely play in front of a quarter filled crowd in a giant NFL stadium. Their brand is the 'swagger' that was essentially lost when Jimmy Johnson went to the NFL. They were able to keep it around for a little while under Butch Davis, but then Coker came in and its been downhill since. Within a couple seasons, you'll start to have high school recruits who weren't alive for a Miami title run.

They are not a sleeping giant. They don't have the money to be a sleeping giant. The only thing they have going for them is their location. They are no longer shuttling players into the NFL with more success than a NFL development program could accomplish. You say that Miami has a national market... Sure... they did... back when the ACC expanded. But you also forget how fickle the country can be. Lose your national appeal, and it will be difficult to regain it.

It takes the right coach. Their recruiting has been pretty good verall, and they have the talent now on D at RB and receiver, just not sure about QB. You are right, they will always have money problems. Not having a stadium, being private which costs a hell of a lot more for those 85 scholarships, small alumni base and fans that make fair weather fans look rabid. That said, they're in the middle of one of the best recruiting territories and have a history. That could change depending on what teh NCAA does regarding the Shapiro scandal, but I can see Miami rising back to the top with the right coach. The problem Miami will have, once they win the MNC, they will lose that coach to a school that can pay him.

Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    Miami will have money problems and they can't fix that. They don't own their own stadium, which probably cuts into athletic department revenue quite a bit. They have a small alumni base, and non-alumni typically don't donate. They are also relying on an ACC paycheck that doesn't stack up with the SEC, B1G, etc.

And you may notice UM's recruiting has dipped in recent years. For all of these reasons, I'd say UM's best days have come and gone. South Beach hoes have taken Miami as far as it will ever go imo. Sure, they have the talent to win a championship, but I'll have to see an ACC crown before I believe the U is (or could ever be) back.