A raid of the ACC may not be the best thing for the Big 12

Let me preface this by saying I think the ACC is fine and ND announcement was expected. But "The Dude" and possibly others who are pro Big 12 / anti-ACC are worried about the series of events that would unfold if the ACC starts to get picked apart. It will be interesting to see the blogger info going forward in light of this. Potential scenario:

B1G: takes FSU, GT. Possibly UNC and UVA as well. People saying B1G not afraid to go to 18.
    SEC: reacts by taking VT and NCSU

That creates a large divide between the SEC/B1G and everyone else including the Big 12. Any Big 12 expansion without FSU would not really benefit them and would just create more geographical isolation (e.g., Miami and Clemson each on an island). If UVA and UNC do not go to B1G, I do not see them going to the Big 12. So Texas and Oklahoma might choose to go to the Pac 12 to make it on the same plain as the SEC and B1G. WVU relegated back to a Big East style conference.

The Big 12 has no options to add new members that would make a difference if the ACC doesn't fall apart. Without a conference championship game and likely being overlooked when the playoffs start will force Texas & Oklahoma to look for new homes, GOR's be d*****. The Big 12 outside the state of Texas doesn't have the demographics to survive. Once this happens the ACC actually stands a better chance of adding members from the Big 12 than the PAC does. Just sit back, be patient and they will come calling because they will get greater exposure being in the Eastern & Central times zones and with the LHN, Texas will try to get a ND type deal, count on it.

I feel theres going to be a scramble by non-acc conferences to disrupt, dislodge, or recruit ND away from ACC - particularly if they see big monies & tv shifting towards ACC-ND at expense of their conferences.

I do find the line about "WVU relegated BACK to Big East conference" very attractive---as long as they remain there.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Jessup View Post
    Let me preface this by saying I think the ACC is fine and ND announcement was expected. But "The Dude" and possibly others who are pro Big 12 / anti-ACC are worried about the series of events that would unfold if the ACC starts to get picked apart. It will be interesting to see the blogger info going forward in light of this. Potential scenario:

B1G: takes FSU, GT. Possibly UNC and UVA as well. People saying B1G not afraid to go to 18.
    SEC: reacts by taking VT and NCSU

That creates a large divide between the SEC/B1G and everyone else including the Big 12. Any Big 12 expansion without FSU would not really benefit them and would just create more geographical isolation (e.g., Miami and Clemson each on an island). If UVA and UNC do not go to B1G, I do not see them going to the Big 12. So Texas and Oklahoma might choose to go to the Pac 12 to make it on the same plain as the SEC and B1G. WVU relegated back to a Big East style conference.
    The Big XII poaching the ACC at this current point in time is still laughable. The Big XII has lost 4 significant schools to 3 different conferences and added back in TCU and satellite WVU. The ACC lost UMD, but had already gained 2 decent northeast schools and ND for basketball & olympic sports by that time. After that, the ACC took Louisville. The ACC is two or three steps ahead of the Big XII. I'm sure the Big XII would love to have the ND deal the ACC has. I'm sure they wished they had Louisville now. Both ACC moves show me that the Big XII is lagging behind the ACC. Top that with the fact that the ACC footprint has the larger population base and media markets.

If the B1G and SEC start picking apart ACC teams, then the Big XII may go after the ACC... but it will be the table scraps. But if the B1G and SEC start cherry picking the ACC, then you better believe that Texas, OU and the PAC aren't going to sit idle. The Big XII may see more of their own demise with potential B1G and SEC moves on the ACC. The PAC doesn't want to be second rate to the SEC and B1G, and Texas wants to ensure they are the "best product" in the land (debatable with the Irish, I'm sure).

In reality, if the SEC and B1G go to 18 teams and take BC, UNC, UVa, FSU, GT, Clemson, NCSU and VT; and the PAC grabs UT, TT, OU and Ok State (plus maybe 2 more teams in BYU and Boise State), the I think the Big XII and ACC will have to merge together and form a new conference similar to:

Miami, USF, Duke, Wake, ECU, WVU, Pitt, Syracuse, UConn, Cincy, Memphis, TCU, Baylor, Kansas, KSU, ISU, Houston and Tulane (or something like that).

They can name the conference the Big ACCAAC-18 Conference. That would give the NCAA 4 - 18 team super conferences.

Texas to the ACC?

Quote Originally Posted by hailstatealum View Post
    The Big 12 has no options to add new members that would make a difference if the ACC doesn't fall apart. Without a conference championship game and likely being overlooked when the playoffs start will force Texas & Oklahoma to look for new homes, GOR's be d*****. The Big 12 outside the state of Texas doesn't have the demographics to survive. Once this happens the ACC actually stands a better chance of adding members from the Big 12 than the PAC does. Just sit back, be patient and they will come calling because they will get greater exposure being in the Eastern & Central times zones and with the LHN, Texas will try to get a ND type deal, count on it.
    Back when the 'Texas to the ACC' rumors started a few years ago, I thought it was ridiculous. I just assumed that if UT ever decided that being king of the Big 12 wasn't the best seat in the house, they'd just hop over to the PAC because it was more geographically fitting. As you can see, that's not the case:

UT distances.jpg

Even without adding OU, OSU, and TT, ACC schools are still closer overall. UT would have to travel significant distances regardless, but the ACC would be far more attractive:

1. Greater exposure (higher footprint populations, more big markets, recruiting)
    2. ESPN (the mothership would love to own all the rights to UT sports, as they do with all ACC teams. since the ACC/ND deal lets NBC broadcast ND home games, ESPN would likely put UT home games on LHN and disperse everything else across 'the family', including the upcoming ACC network)
    3. ACC/SEC scheduling deal (reopens the UT/A&M rivalry, along with GTvUGA FSUvUF UofLvsUK CLEMvUSCe, and perhaps VTvTENN DUKE/WAKEvVANDY or PITTvWVU if the SEC eventually stoops that low)

UTNDACC.jpg

Now whether we could ever get these two programs to join as full football members remains to be seen, but if big time football splits from the NCAA and superconferences become a reality, we'll already have them in our back pocket. Eventually we'd have to implement the division scheduling concept, but I could dig it.