Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    WVU having some issues with their tier 3 agreement (LINK)


  2. #2
    Senior Member Culpeper Hokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 07, 1999
    Location
    Glen Allen, VA (far western Henrico County)
    Posts
    19,720

    Wait, wait..I feel a tear coming on for them. No, nevermind. It was just pollen.

    ..
    Quote Originally Posted by hailstatealum View Post

  3. #3

    Join Date
    January 05, 2001
    Posts
    5,673
    West Virginia Radio Corporation (owner of wvmetronews.com and several radio stations including WAJR-AM in Morgantown) has had a sweetheart, exclusive deal to broadcast WVU football and basketball for generations through The Mountaineer Sports Network, which is a collaboration of the university and WVRC. WVU and Michigan State are or were the last two major programs to run their broadcasts in this fashion (as contrasted with schools like Virginia Tech, which contracts with IMG College Sports and other schools that contract with Learfield sports).

    As part of a general effort to increase revenue streams, WVU decided to put its Tier 3 rights out to bid. It was not required to do so under state law (because the agreement would be revenue generating) but the state attorney general has determined that having chosen to use an RFP and bid process, WVU was required to do so consistent with applicable university policies. Naturally, errors occurred.

    What is really going on behind the scenes is a power and money struggle between John Raese, the West Virginia Radio Corporation mogul who has unsuccessfully run for Governor and United States Senate several times, and West Virginia Media Corporation. West Virginia Media owns several television stations and newspapers in West Virginia, has broadcast the WVU coaches' shows for many years. A number of key WVU figures including Board of Governors members and a coach or two are West Virginia Media investors. The winning bid was going to give the Tier 3 rights to a West Virginia Media/IMG College Sports collaboration.

    This dollar grab is part of college sports today, but this is part of the damage. West Virginia Radio and West Virginia Media are both fine companies with great products. West Virginia Radio and MSN's WVU broadcasts are as good as any you'd find anywhere in the country and better than most. But if West Virginia Radio loses WVU it will take a big financial hit.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by hailstatealum View Post
    lmao Looks like some "good ole' boys networking" got caught with their collective hands in the $$ jar.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailgate Guru View Post
    West Virginia Radio Corporation (owner of wvmetronews.com and several radio stations including WAJR-AM in Morgantown) has had a sweetheart, exclusive deal to broadcast WVU football and basketball for generations through The Mountaineer Sports Network, which is a collaboration of the university and WVRC. WVU and Michigan State are or were the last two major programs to run their broadcasts in this fashion (as contrasted with schools like Virginia Tech, which contracts with IMG College Sports and other schools that contract with Learfield sports).

    As part of a general effort to increase revenue streams, WVU decided to put its Tier 3 rights out to bid. It was not required to do so under state law (because the agreement would be revenue generating) but the state attorney general has determined that having chosen to use an RFP and bid process, WVU was required to do so consistent with applicable university policies. Naturally, errors occurred.

    What is really going on behind the scenes is a power and money struggle between John Raese, the West Virginia Radio Corporation mogul who has unsuccessfully run for Governor and United States Senate several times, and West Virginia Media Corporation. West Virginia Media owns several television stations and newspapers in West Virginia, has broadcast the WVU coaches' shows for many years. A number of key WVU figures including Board of Governors members and a coach or two are West Virginia Media investors. The winning bid was going to give the Tier 3 rights to a West Virginia Media/IMG College Sports collaboration.

    This dollar grab is part of college sports today, but this is part of the damage. West Virginia Radio and West Virginia Media are both fine companies with great products. West Virginia Radio and MSN's WVU broadcasts are as good as any you'd find anywhere in the country and better than most. But if West Virginia Radio loses WVU it will take a big financial hit.
    Good reply Tailgate. This question is off topic to this conversation, but I've never understood how Tony Caridi or any other radio personality they have on their weeknight/weekend show could specifically talk about recruits and recruit names (before signing day of course). Aren't they employees of MSN, and therefore subject to the same rules that all others (eg. Bill Roth) are subject to with respect to naming recruits?
    "It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first." Ronald Reagan

  6. #6

    Join Date
    January 05, 2001
    Posts
    5,673
    I believe that Tony Caridi and others are employees of West Virginia Radio who are "selected" to broadcast by the Mountaineer Sports Network. Greg Hunter, who is the usual sidekick on the Metronews Sportsline shows, is affiliated with Blue & Gold News.

    Historically, the broadcast job at Tech was more of an in-house job than at WVU. When I was in school, Jeff Charles and then Bill Roth had their regular office in Jamerson. At WVU, Jack Fleming was the play-by-play man for years, but he also broadcast the Steelers and did other things from time-to-time.

    I've wondered about how that line is drawn myself. My sense is that it depends on where the guy gets his paycheck and what hat he is wearing at any given moment. I've been to WVU events where Caridi appears, a recruiting question is asked and he declines to answer.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    November 04, 2008
    Posts
    6,238
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailgate Guru View Post
    I believe that Tony Caridi and others are employees of West Virginia Radio who are "selected" to broadcast by the Mountaineer Sports Network. Greg Hunter, who is the usual sidekick on the Metronews Sportsline shows, is affiliated with Blue & Gold News.

    Historically, the broadcast job at Tech was more of an in-house job than at WVU. When I was in school, Jeff Charles and then Bill Roth had their regular office in Jamerson. At WVU, Jack Fleming was the play-by-play man for years, but he also broadcast the Steelers and did other things from time-to-time.

    I've wondered about how that line is drawn myself. My sense is that it depends on where the guy gets his paycheck and what hat he is wearing at any given moment. I've been to WVU events where Caridi appears, a recruiting question is asked and he declines to answer.
    Bill Roth gets his paycheck from IMG

  8. #8

    Join Date
    January 05, 2001
    Posts
    5,673
    Quote Originally Posted by Buy These! View Post

    Bill Roth gets his paycheck from IMG
    Probably true, but probably hasn't always been true. My guess is Roth "changed employers" when Tech outsourced its radio to ISP (now IMG) several years ago.

    To my knowledge, Roth has no regular "outside" talk radio gig like Caridi does in West Virginia.

    It's an interesting puzzle and I'm not sure how I feel about it. After all, what advantage does WVU gain from guys talking about recruiting on a West Virginia radio network when there are rarely more than two or three legit D1 recruits in the state? My kids' school in Charleston is unusual in that it is sending three guys out to play football this year: one to Charlotte, one to Air Force and one - Ryan Switzer, the best player in the state - to North Carolina. All I know is that there is nothing secret about what Caridi and company are doing. If it was illegal, you can bet the folks at Pitt and Marshall know and would have busted WVU a long, long time ago.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailgate Guru View Post
    Probably true, but probably hasn't always been true. My guess is Roth "changed employers" when Tech outsourced its radio to ISP (now IMG) several years ago.

    To my knowledge, Roth has no regular "outside" talk radio gig like Caridi does in West Virginia.

    It's an interesting puzzle and I'm not sure how I feel about it. After all, what advantage does WVU gain from guys talking about recruiting on a West Virginia radio network when there are rarely more than two or three legit D1 recruits in the state? My kids' school in Charleston is unusual in that it is sending three guys out to play football this year: one to Charlotte, one to Air Force and one - Ryan Switzer, the best player in the state - to North Carolina. All I know is that there is nothing secret about what Caridi and company are doing. If it was illegal, you can bet the folks at Pitt and Marshall know and would have busted WVU a long, long time ago.
    Yeah, I figured it wasn't illegal since they've all (Caridi, Hunter, Travis Jones, and before him Alex Kommons?, et.al) been doing it for a long, long time. I had just wondered what the difference was with them and with other schools. I actually don't mind it because I enjoy listening to their recruiting talk at times, but was just curious as to how their situation is different than others.
    "It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first." Ronald Reagan

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •