Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

UNC AD: I want to increase athletic revenue by 40% (LINK)

Quote Originally Posted by hailstatealum View Post
    If he wants to fill those empty seats for football and basketball, make it more affordable.

Is 40% the increase that would be realized from joining Big10?

Quote Originally Posted by IAHokie View Post
    Is 40% the increase that would be realized from joining Big10?
    Only with funny math required after the $50 million ACC exit fee.

I read that article over the weekend on a UNC site. I think the "Louisville Model" is the one most colleges are looking at. The feeling is "if Louisville can do it, why not us?" I guess UNC could possibly make 40% more by joining the Big 10, if their BTN projections are actually true? There's a lot of money in the Research Triangle. UNC also has a national brand in its men's basketball program. UNC will have a much easier time at increasing revenue by 40% than Virginia Tech.

Several schools have corporate sponsors like Maryland's Comcast Center, Boise State's Taco Bell Arena, Louisville's Papa John's Cardinal Stadium,.... Professional sports have been doing it for at least the past decade or two in the U.S. and for even longer in Europe. I'm sure Tech has numerous "connections" in the corporate world. Georgia-Pacific always comes to mind. Advance Auto headquarters is located down the road in Roanoke, but Advance Auto Stadium or Coliseum sounds ridiculous, but so does Taco Bell Arena.

We don't know what the exit fee is yet. We will not know until the court case is finished, or settled out of court.

Quote Originally Posted by laphroaig View Post

We don't know what the exit fee is yet. We will not know until the court case is finished, or settled out of court.

That's the focus ad must have

This is a concept foreign at vt . Ad at unc is revenue driven not reduce expenses. The idea of an agressive ad pushing more revenue is foreign to ca tech or weaver . They are convinced vt is maxed out.

Btw unc did not say leave in the idea of more revenue .. It's the louisville model...

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    I read that article over the weekend on a UNC site. I think the "Louisville Model" is the one most colleges are looking at. The feeling is "if Louisville can do it, why not us?" I guess UNC could possibly make 40% more by joining the Big 10, if their BTN projections are actually true? There's a lot of money in the Research Triangle. UNC also has a national brand in its men's basketball program. UNC will have a much easier time at increasing revenue by 40% than Virginia Tech.

Several schools have corporate sponsors like Maryland's Comcast Center, Boise State's Taco Bell Arena, Louisville's Papa John's Cardinal Stadium,.... Professional sports have been doing it for at least the past decade or two in the U.S. and for even longer in Europe. I'm sure Tech has numerous "connections" in the corporate world. Georgia-Pacific always comes to mind. Advance Auto headquarters is located down the road in Roanoke, but Advance Auto Stadium or Coliseum sounds ridiculous, but so does Taco Bell Arena.
    It may be unavoidable but if Worsham Field at Lane Stadium ever goes corporate - sad day.

This is a huge business which requires 80 to hundred million a year budget to be a relevent program or be left behind, either vt has to ramp it up any way to get the delta, vt has one of the lowest contribution rates in the acc and has to change to stay competitive. Already vt season tickets renewals are down as well as contributions .

Unless new contributors are found vt evolves into the next wake forest. Remember, in basketball to be competive means middle of the pack. Think who are the top 7- duke unc louisville syracuse pitt nd nc state va and Miami and the rest..

It may be unavoidable but if Worsham Field at Lane Stadium ever goes corporate - sad day.